Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #31
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Also, the Super fabric is just an abrasion resistant panel over the regular material of the suit in the knee, w/ the sas-tec knee pad underneath that.

So while the durability issue would suck if that happened to you, I don't think that the super fabric by itself is a deal maker/breaker.

Maybe you should wash your brand new suit off the bat and see if yours comes undone?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #32
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
Also, the Super fabric is just an abrasion resistant panel over the regular material of the suit in the knee, w/ the sas-tec knee pad underneath that.

So while the durability issue would suck if that happened to you, I don't think that the super fabric by itself is a deal maker/breaker.

Maybe you should wash your brand new suit off the bat and see if yours comes undone?
The 500d cordura is pretty "light" on the elbow, so the superfabric is what makes the suit really rugged.

I washed it when I got it. It lifted up. I gave up and started gluing stuff. Not going to make them send me another jacket just for that, especially when I can fix it myself. These things are expensive.
(My first jacket was replaced for other issues mentioned in another thread.) I was hoping to give insight as to why it is happening so they can fix it for the next thing they make.

Otherwise it is a nice suit. It is comfy, works in a bunch of temperatures, and looks nice.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #33
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFleet
A whole bunch of wet blankets in this thread. In the age of giant faceless corporations a rep from a company is seeking feedback and answering questions. I for one like having an ear in a company who makes products I am in the market for.

To all those getting pissy and entitled about this let me ask you this, what gear company do you run?
So a rebuttal/feedback on our part is some sort of cheap shot?

What dictatorship do YOU run?

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #34
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,958
Yeah, I'm with a bunch of the folks in this thread- revit seems like a well intentioned company making nice looking gear, but that gear hasn't held up very well. I'm on my second dragon jacket (bought the original 1 year 3 months ago). The hi-viz green fades after 6 months or so, and after a couple more months I'm starting to see a lot of loose threads at the seams. I know the dragon is supposed to be a more budget oriented jacket, but I still expect a $300 jacket to last a few years. Not sure what's next- motoport or bmw maybe, or I might start wearing leather more when practical.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #35
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Why is the SuperFabric glued on, instead of sewn? Or glued and sewn.

Wouldn't that be more secure?
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #36
Badger278
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas123
Why is the SuperFabric glued on, instead of sewn? Or glued and sewn.

Wouldn't that be more secure?
The Superfabric is actually sonic welded to the cordura. This is a process where the adhesive is heated and bonded using sound waves. It is very secure.

It can't be sewn as it is so tough it breaks needles!

Also it's important to note that REV'IT! was the first company to bring this innovative material to the market, and we used it in racing gloves for a year before adding it to jackets. Today, you can find most competitive motorcycle clothing brands following our innovation and adapting Superfabric to their products.

With innovation there is some risk, but we do thoroughly test in the lab as well as in the real world. I agree, that sometimes being more conservative is easier, and we are doing a better job of balancing the two. Our relationship with Gore will only improve this.

We have tested the new Defender outershell through 60 continuous washing cycles and have had 0 failures. Even mishandling the products and washing them in a machine with normal soap. I have full confidence that this testing will assure a lower failure rate of all REV'IT! textile products (which is currently less than .5% of total volume sold)

Please keep in mind that all of the problems mentioned are caused by chemicals in the washing process. By either using too much detergent, or the wrong types. We actually make our own washing liquid, but it's not imported due to the customs restrictions. (it would be too expensive).

Also keep in mind that the DWR coating on all of our Jackets will protect from UV light and also keep water beading, but it should be reapplied as needed.

Any Hi-vis products (or red for that matter) will fade if not protected.

2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Edition
2009 HRC RS125 (race bike)
"It all started with that damb BMX bike" Mom

Badger278 screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 06:34 AM
Badger278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #37
Badger278
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead

The above statement turns me off on this notion because it implies that the buyer should take one for the team and accept the existence of QC/ product development issues. If Rev'it products were sold at Walmart prices, I would be apt to do so, but at the price (not yet) paid, this rationalization is unacceptable.

IMHO.
Chris,

No one asks you to "take one for the team" when we do have a warranty issue (as all companies do) we do everything in our power to repair or replace. Sometimes even outside of the bounds of our normal warranty policy. We stand behind our products. If we made a mistake, we make it right.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #38
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger278
The Superfabric is actually sonic welded to the cordura. This is a process where the adhesive is heated and bonded using sound waves. It is very secure.

It can't be sewn as it is so tough it breaks needles!

Also it's important to note that REV'IT! was the first company to bring this innovative material to the market, and we used it in racing gloves for a year before adding it to jackets. Today, you can find most competitive motorcycle clothing brands following our innovation and adapting Superfabric to their products.
How does your superfabric compare to that used on the Klim suit? The two are most definitely not the same. Yours is thin and smooth more like fine sand paper. In comparison, the stuff on the klim is more like coarse sand paper in texture, and seems alot more heavy duty. Pretty sure it's sewed on also? Not trying to stir up, just curious if there is different grades of superfabric. There certainly appears to be? Vanson also uses the Klim stuff on their latest super vent jacket, as does Rukka on the Armas.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #39
TurboCharger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger278
Not just someone at REV'IT! I'm a GS riding, Husky mudding, card carrying ADVrider. Oh, and the boss. ;)

The truth is, we love you guys. You're the ones who allow us to have such a bitchin job to ride to each day. So thanks for your support.
All said and done, I can't speak highly enough or your gear. IMO REV'IT have the best product for the most affordable price on the market today.

Aside from a few small things; small tear in the crotch seam (restitched by hand in Cambodia), winter lining tear in the legs (whilst skiing in France), knee protector tore at the bottom (still need to restitch this). I am very content with the products I have OffTrack jacket, Dakar pants, summer leather gloves, given the amount of abuse they have received over the past 2 years of near constant daily use riding 50,000kms in all weather conditions from -23degrees in the snow and ice to +47degrees in Pakistan and India. I can't complain, nothing I had previously owned would have been able to withstand such use/abuse/extremes.

Oh did I mention that I have washed the gear over 12 times (hand wash and machine) in hot and cold water with whatever soap, laundry powder, shampoo or detergent I could get my filthy hands on!

Just take my partner's clothing from BMW and Dianasee, the crap started falling apart long ago and aside from her sentimental attachment to her gear after having travelled 50,000kms RTW, I would have been happy to chuck them and replace them with REV'IT gear (but money and time didn't permit, alas).

Keep producing the great gear, and I for one will keep buying it (unless you want to sponsor me for my next trip through Africa and beyond :-))

Sydney to Oslo Riding2up - you should try it some day!
www.riding2up.net
TurboCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #40
Jim Glauz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hello Revit, If you are confident the seam problem is fixed (or not) how about giving people a three to five year warranty against seam failure. That will give customers confidence in your product knowing if there is a problem it will be taken care of.
Jim Glauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #41
Badger278
Gnarly Adventurer

We have tried the coarse Superfabric and found that it didn't slide as well as the smooth version. Sliding is an essential part of limiting injury. Of course, a tight fitting shape is equally important. A baggy loose fitting arm will almost certainly grab and twist which can cause serious failure of the protection.

Racing suits work so well on the track because they are tight and smooth.

It can be "printed" on a base fabric in a way that there is a 2cm edge, and then the edge (which is not coated with superfabric) can be sewn.

This is not desirable because the superfabric is then only attached at the edges, and when combined with a rough surface can work to tear the sewn seam in a sliding crash. We saw something similar with rough coated keprotec glove palm sliders. The Keprotec held up, but was so abrasive that it was ripped from the palm. We only use smooth, hard TPU sliders or Superfabric on palm sliders to combat this problem.

Since we were the first users, we tried each variation to get the best result.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #42
Badger278
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Glauz
Hello Revit, If you are confident the seam problem is fixed (or not) how about giving people a three to five year warranty against seam failure. That will give customers confidence in your product knowing if there is a problem it will be taken care of.
This is something we are discussing currently. We have done something similar with the new Gore Jackets. They have a LIFETIME guarantee against leaking.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #43
Jim Glauz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hello Rivit, Exellent idea. If you really want to develope customer loyalty and increase sales, try replacing a suit out of warranty- no questions asked. Word gets arount fast. Maybe think about allocating some advertizing $$ to super customer service. It might just work.
Jim Glauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #44
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
I have been in contact with Mr Levitt (Badger278), and he is going to assist me with getting my Dakar pants fixed up or replaced.

I guess I should have contacted them earlier, but in todays world, we assume (and are often correct) that a warranty is what it says it is and nothing more. Its refreshing to find out that sometimes a company will step up and look after its customers.

I'll keep be sure to let you all know how this turns out.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #45
KullZilla
Work Hard, Play Harder

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Glauz
Hello Rivit, Exellent idea. If you really want to develope customer loyalty and increase sales, try replacing a suit out of warranty- no questions asked. Word gets arount fast. Maybe think about allocating some advertizing $$ to super customer service. It might just work.
Hey Jim, as a REV'IT dealer we have seen REV'IT repair / replace items out of warranty more then once. We have not had any other manufacturer we work with do this (and we work with almost all of the major players).
KullZilla is offline   Reply With Quote