User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
ivel_86 OP
Oops

Oddometer: 683
Ural front Rack

Maybe be a stupid question and I tried searching a few times sorry.... anyways two qustions one (please dont lash me) (i am awaiting delivery of my '10 Ural!
Ural Synthetic oil??? I like mobil one is there any issues with putting it in a '10?

Next- I have seen some front racks on the "tub" on the Ural Gear up? any hints were to find it?

Thank you so much for the patience
OEF 12
ivel_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel_86
Maybe be a stupid question and I tried searching a few times sorry.... anyways two qustions one (please dont lash me) (i am awaiting delivery of my '10 Ural!
Ural Synthetic oil??? I like mobil one is there any issues with putting it in a '10?

Next- I have seen some front racks on the "tub" on the Ural Gear up? any hints were to find it?

Thank you so much for the patience
I'm not a big fan of racks or panniers on the nose of a Ural. It put's the weight in the wrong place, and can have serious consequences. That said, I know Dauntless has made nose racks for Urals.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
llirttoc
Ural Life

Oddometer: 181
oil and racks

After five years of looking for a front rack this is all I've ever seen http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/p...hDauntless.jpg
As oil goes all I can tell you is my expirence. I have an '07 Patrol. After the break in period, i ran fully syn. Napa 10/50 or is it 20/50 what ever. Try to go around 4,000klms. between changes. After approx. 42,000 klms the engine runs like a top. I run Lucas 90wt in the FD but change very frenquently (500-600klms). Hope this helps.

always pursuing the ghost of rationality
'07 Ural Patrol
llirttoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Mr. B.
Climate Controlled

Oddometer: 131
Look Here

http://www.racewayservices.com/racew...essories.shtml
Mr. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
BinDerSmokDat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I have a 2010 Ural Patrol T with only 1900km on the clock. For the 1st oil change at 600k I used dino 20w50 in the motor and Mobil 1 Synth 20w50 in the transmission. I used dino 80w90 in the final drive at 600km, 1200km and it's due for a change again.

I tried the synth in the tranny because anecdotal reports say it improves shifting, though I haven't noticed an improvement yet.

I used dino in the engine and final drive because during break-in a lot of metal swarf is generated and you need to change the oil more frequently to remove it. You don't want all that metal running around in there for 4000km. After a few oil changes and a few thousand km, if the amount of metal seen drops off, some guys consider extended oil changes with synthetic. Both pics below are normal wear!

The engine plug at 600km...

Tranny fill plug 600km...

That said, even with synthetic you are accumulating acids, carbon and other combustion byproducts that are suspended in the oil. Some guys insist running cheap dino oil in the engine and sticking to the 2500km service interval just to get those contaminants out.

As for a front rack, I like the tub nice and clean (design wise) with no extraneous holes in the sheet metal or axes/shovels/gas cans. That is why I went with the Patrol T. So far I've only added a spare tire and I've lashed everything to that or in the hack when the wife isn't along for the ride.

Loaded for NJ Devil Hunt Fall '10
BinDerSmokDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
ivel_86 OP
Oops

Thanks guys... You are all awesome for the quick responces. I will definatly have to consider all of this!
OEF 12
Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Sidecardoug
Pleasantly pleasing

Oddometer: 1,795
I agree with the Red Menace that the nose of the tub is the wrong place to put weight. It also blocks the view from the sidecar.

There's lots of carrying capacity on a Ural in any event without using the nose
Old 09-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Are you planning on having a passenger on the back seat? If not you could get a tractor seat and a fender rack and put stuff there, much better oriented on the bike. You also have a big trunk and a luggage rack on top, you should have plenty of room. If you don't, take the cage.

Check Soviet Steeds for oil stuff, lots to read there. Take from it what you will.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,925
There`s nothing wrong with having or using a sidecar nose mounted rack as long as you use yer noggin and don`t overload it.

It`s ideal for lightweight but relatively bulky items,such as sleeping bags and ground mats.
As for the comment about plenty of space elsewhere,you`d be surprised how quickly you can run out of space when there`s three people and their camping gear going on the Ural.

I`ve got home made nose racks on both my Urals.

My 650 has a pair of Suzuki SJ headlamp grilles side by side to form a rack.

My 750 has a set of brushed stainless kitchen door handles.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I have a nose rack from Raceway. I like it. I plan on putting my sleeping bag on it when I go camping. The last time I mounted my sleeping bag on the nose it slipped off as the tie downs gave. So that's why I wanted the nose rack. But I won't put anything heavy on it. Raceway has some very nice accessories. Pricey though.....
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,468
I have a dauntless nose rack for a Ural we ended up with for sale is you are interested. We also build our own and can do custom designs. Just call.
Shop
570 837 5120

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
RockyMtnRoadRash
Useful and decorative

Oddometer: 500
I saw a set of panniers on the nose of a Ural online somewhere. I was thinking it would actually be a handy place for rain gear and other light stuff you need fast access to.

держите мою водку и наблюдайте это!
RockyMtnRoadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,684
I also used the Raceway front rack, but honestly I added it just because I thought it looked cool - I have no intention of ever putting any weight on it:

I think adding the rear rack over the tire is smarter for carrying any substantial weight.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
ivel_86 OP
Oops

Yeah I wanted it for lite "need easyly reachable stuff" and because it looks sweet awesome!!!!
OEF 12
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude
I have a dauntless nose rack for a Ural we ended up with for sale is you are interested. We also build our own and can do custom designs. Just call.
Shop
570 837 5120
How much you asking for the rack? PM if it's easier.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote