User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

Oddometer: 3,206
KTM 530Exc Adventure build

So, my wish to build up the 530Exc with a 690 engine turned out to be un-feasible for now. That leaves me with the good old rally kitted 530 which i now plan to turn into a multi-month dirt touring capable adventure machine.

Like all good re-builds you first start with a strip down

from this

to this in a few minutes

need to sort out that leaking hardparts steering damper

and install a taller handle bar - bought a RC High bend for this

and put back the rally fairing instead of the enduro headlight mask

sort out the rats nest behind the headlight - that will automatically happen when i re-install the rally nav-tower and fairing

headlight mask off

plan is to fabricate a steel subframe capable of carrying 30kgs of luggage for extended periods of time and field servicable (read - weldable) in remote areas

sorry for the long post............
Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

I also want to fabricate a larger oil cooler capable of holding 1-1.5ltrs of oil instead of the 0.45L held in the CPW racing cooler.

and yes, i need to do something about that bent left radiator

the Rad cooling fan has been making strange noises - probably because of all the sand that has gotten into it

took the CS sprocket off

the spring washer is almost flat

CS splines look good to me. no signs of fretting

The rear sprocket seems to be suffering from uneven wear, most probably due to misalignment of the wheel during installation. Need to pay more attention to alignment next time around.

took the exhaust and other stuff off

then shifted my attention to the rear shock - that wont work for the intended purpose, need to go with a stiffer rear spring, once i find out what the hell is it that i currently on my bike - all markings are missing from the spring !!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

I'm breaking up the Adventure build of my bike into smaller portions. First one is the nav tower/fairing support and lights. The plan is to re-use the nav tower support to mount new LED lights.

Starts with dis-assembly of the current setup. Off comes the road book, holder and repeaters etc.

This was all worth a few kilos atleast

so you are left with this

Lets see if i can re-use the fairing which is a nice copy off a 690RR and i like it very much.

Positioned the new LED lights to see fitment. Its fits in the available space, just need to fabricate a mount strong enough for them and make a modification or 10 here and there

Old 06-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Watching with interest!
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

LED lights - contd....

Did some test positioning of the LED lights

The idea is to make 2 sets of spacers out of Delrin tube on either side of the LED light mounts and use a long M8 bolt to mount them up in the nav tower plates. The problem is that the 690RR front fairing doesn't fit (insufficient spacing between lights) and i will have to make a new fairing to protect the Lights. That gives me a chance to use plexiglass for this purpose and make a transparent front fairing ala the new Rally bikes

I've never worked with plastics/plexiglass so let me see how that comes out. I wait to get the bushings made and to procure the plexiglass in the meanwhile.

Next order of business was the oil cooler. I mocked up one in cardboard and filled it up with water to see that it held just above 1Ltr.

Not a big improvement on the 450-500ml of oil that the CPW racing oil cooler holds. Especially considering that i'm gonna single sump the engine so it will be holding 1.5ltrs of oil already.

So i set about servicing the CPW Racing cooler.

It's a well made piece of kit, milled from a solid piece of billet aluminium.

The gasket was damaged during dis-assembly so i started making one out of oil proof gasket paper.

then had another thought and made one out of gasket making rubber sheet

Then i realised that the rubber gasket doesn't hold up well when torqued down under the oil cooler cover (it uses 21 allen screws !!) so i went back to the gasket made out of paper.

I then got about to stripping the engine down

so, that's where i've got to with the project.

next update in a couple more days.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

Further dis-assembly ensued..............

the handle bar riser bolts are bent beyond re-use... maybe i should stop crashing

new RC High bars (top) will be installed during the re-build

the subframe was broken on the LHS

looks like it has already been repaired (badly) once earlier

mock-fitted the rear tanks and rear fender in order to fabricate the new subframe (stronger), rear luggage racks and cross brace for rear rack + tanks.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

Got into the starter motor yesterday

Lots of carbon dust as expected

because the brushes were worn to the limit

cleaned up the armature

looked for rebuild kits and found a few but then i also found some carbon brushes so i thought why not try to just replace the brushes instead of the entire holder plate assembly ? Should receive the brushes in a week or two and then i'll get to replacing them and see how it goes. If that doesn't work out satisfactorily, i'll just buy a new holder plate assembly which includes new brushes.

Also dismantled the rear shock

and drained the oil out. Oil from the reservoir was slightly dark...

and then the real dark stuff came out of the shock body when i took the piston out....

the piston seals and o-rings don't look worn at all, just the fluid that has gotten a good work out

wait, is that a RaceTech Gold Valve ??

As i mentioned earlier, i bought the bike used and the PO didn't know much about what was done on the bike so, anybody wanna guess what the golden colored part is ??

Vicks screwed with this post 06-22-2015 at 07:36 AM
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:36 AM   #8
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
While you're adding oil capacity, also consider other solutions to keep things nice and cool - an easy one is the larger water pump impeller kit; either OEM ktm or any of the aftermarket made-in-China eBay / Aliexpress units.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:52 AM   #9
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

Yup, already ordered the high flow pump kit from the Netherlands which should be delivered in about a week. I guess the 570kit (on its way from KTM) somehow mandated it too

Not much of a fan of cheaper stuff when it comes to these things. Electronic stuff - yes.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:01 AM   #10
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
You're planning to use the ktm 570 kit or the thumper racing kit?
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #11
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

It's the KTM SXS570 kit. I went this route because i also required a con-rod for the rebuild not to mention the KTM kit includes a new CDI, cam shaft etc. That, and because the EUR is weak right now, i got a good deal as well incl VAT exemption. I however, wanted to go with the Thumper kit initially.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #12
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
In. Looking forward to seeing this project succeed.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

Next was the rebound damper adjustment screw. I've had this one sieze on my (now sold) '07 Adv990S so i needed to service it and lubricate the threads properly. I read the removal procedure from the manual and they said "donot lose the spring and balls" while removing the screw, that's exactly what i did

I heard one small "tink" when it fell on a hard surface and nothing more. So it must have fallen on some soft surface (like cloth), not even remotely hoping to find the ball, i dropped to my knees and started scouring the floor nad then.. voila... there it was

on the cloth i had spread on the floor... phew,, what relief !!!

Lubricated the internals and got the preload adjuster screw back on.

Got around to servicing the upper mount bearing

Pushed the bushings out, cleaned the bearing as there was no play in it, just some dust, and put it back after greasing it.

Cleaning the piston rod assembly and installed new O-ring and piston seals. Didn't want to un-necessarily dismantle the piston rod and its components.

Decided to try bleeding the shock on my own just to see if it could be done without any special equipment. Filled the shock tube half way full.

Put the piston rod back in

Pressed the seal using two small sockets as the new O-ring was too tight to go in by hand

Re-installed the retainer ring

Measured and noted the piston height in the reservoir. Then using an allen key, pressed it all the way down. It measured 80mm now (from the botton of the reservoir). So, the correct height would have to be 70mm after bleeding the shock.

Set the piston height to 10mm from top of reservoir per manual

and then got about to bleeding the shock with home made tools / setup

Finally, i got all the air out using this method and checked the piston height once again.

Vicks screwed with this post 06-26-2015 at 12:30 PM
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #14
Vicks OP
gets stuck in sand

Found the Stebel horn i had bought a long time ago but, never got around to installing it on the 990. So, i guess it will go on the 530.

The Mecasystem bashplate mounts had stripped threads so, i had to do something about it. I had a Helicoil kit for M8x1.25 thread repair left over from when i had bought it to repair the sump guard mount threads on my '07 990 so i thought i'll put it to use.

drilled out the damaged threads

tapped it for the thread repair inserts

and while tapping, the piece suddenly moved in the vice and then i noticed that i hadn't taken the home made soft jaw protectors which i had used while working on the shock.

Took it off and continued

done.....

Next i have to take care of some problems with the storage containers on either side of the Mecasystem bashplate. The left side is a water container of 2Ltrs capacity. But it had 2 problems.

1 - The filler neck extended too long into the container and this reduced the capacity by about 150-200ml.

Why fuss over 200ml of water capacity you say ? Well, i won't be carrying water in this anymore. It will be my reserve oil carrier and being able to carry full 2ltrs necessary for one oil change (1.5ltrs from the merged oil system + 0.5ltrs in the oil cooler). So, i need the container to be capable of carrying and draining its full capacity when needed. For this, i settled for the simplest solution. I drilled two holes just under where the filler neck was welded on to the container. Whie filling, this allows the trapped air to escape and the container holds 2Ltrs as a result. When draining, the remaining liquid drains through these two holes which are at the lowest point when the container is up-side down.

2 - The container cap is a big ass plug which needs something like a 26 or 28mm spanner and would require me to carry an adjustable wrench just for that purpose.

To avoid this, i simply drilled a hole which now allows me to use a philips head screw driver to open/close the cap.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:24 AM   #15
mrwwwhite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Too bad that the 690 idea was not feasible!
Subscribed!

Is that a RT GoldValve in your shock? ;)

mrwwwhite screwed with this post 07-02-2015 at 04:34 AM
mrwwwhite is offline   Reply With Quote