User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #1
thelawnguy81 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Stay with RFS or 14 500 XC-W?

Looking for some opinions..... :friday: I've got a perfect 04 450MXC with roughly 80 hours on it that I've put on 60 of those. Everything is set up perfect for my non slender 6'4" frame, rekluse, left hand rear brake, scotts dampner, full exhaust, ETC. This past August we went to Colorado and the MXC long first gear really was noticeable with the altitude even with the 13/52 sprockets. So my search started for a 525 EXC which I found for a good price....bought.....had plans to convert everything from my 450 to that. Well couple weeks went by and I went into to the local KTM dealer and found out they were taking $2000 of 14 500 XCW's. So what do I do? :
thelawnguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM   #2
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,221
the new 500s are definitely a significant improvement over the older bikes. the engine is better. the suspension is better. everything is better.

the RFS bikes are great, too, of course, but, i'd go for the 500 if i were in your position. if i had the money, i'd already own one...
Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM   #3
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,418
I've had/have both, I prefer the RFSs off idle torque but in about every other comparison the 500 has it beat. Not that the 500s motor isn't very nice but the big flywheel of the RFS gives it great tractoring ability, that comes at a cost, the RFS has allot of gyro influence from it's heavy flywheel. The 500s motor is more of a revver and makes its power higher up on the RPM range. The 500 handles better of course and feels allot lighter.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #4
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,063
I had an 02 520EXC, went thru a 06 TE450 and now have a built 09 EXC530, 610cc, SXS shock, CC forks. I think I could still be racing my 2002 and had done all the same upgrades and been just as fast and just as happy. I would have saved myself a good bit of $$$ by keeping the RFS.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote