Oddometer: 538

SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #1577
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post

Which Touratech screen spoiler is that? Does it fit securely to the KTM screen? Noticed any difference with it on?

I was wondering about fab'ing a spoiler myself - wouldn't be very pretty though.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #1578
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Which Touratech screen spoiler is that? Does it fit securely to the KTM screen? Noticed any difference with it on?

I was wondering about fab'ing a spoiler myself - wouldn't be very pretty though.
Powerparts windscreen.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #1579
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

I've got the same KTM screen, but it's the Touratech screen spoiler clamped to the top of SportsGuy's bike I'm interested in.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #1580
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:

Wow, talk a minimalist adventure bike. Very cool.
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #1581
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
Hey Sports Guy - You did a nice job with yours. Looks like mine!

How are the mirrors? I was thinking maybe replacing mine with Duke or SM-T mirrors. I had the folding mirrors on my 950, though.

Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #1582
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeuk View Post
Hi Wesley Can we have some more pics of your bike please, is this pic your bike ready for the Tuareg?,
For those who have requested more close up photos

beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #1583
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
I've got the same KTM screen, but it's the Touratech screen spoiler clamped to the top of SportsGuy's bike I'm interested in.
Here ya go. Clamps very securely, as the mount's rubber feet are adjustable,allowing you to set how much friction you get. Once on, lock the thing in place and keep the key on your keyring. ;)

I've had the bike up to over 80 mph and that little spoiler does a good job. Doesn't add any real buffeting to my helmet area, takes the majority of wind weight off my chest and shoulders and doesn't flap around on its own.

I was at Touratech's Seattle office last month and saw a display of these spoilers. This one looked to have the same angles break line as the KTM windscreen, so I opted to try it out. The TT guys were great - told me to try it out, leave the protective plastic on the lexan and return it if it didn't work as I hoped. One onroad/offroad ride convinced me its staying. :) It's actually made to fit the stock F800GS windscreen. And if you don't like the lexan portion, fab your own and use the mount to handle the...uh...mounting. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp115
Wow, talk a minimalist adventure bike. Very cool.
Thanks sp - that's pretty much what I was trying for with this bike. :) We'll see how it works out this summer. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantah
Hey Sports Guy - You did a nice job with yours. Looks like mine!

How are the mirrors? I was thinking maybe replacing mine with Duke or SM-T mirrors. I had the folding mirrors on my 950, though..
The mirrors are great. They adjust by folding in towards the bike's centerline if needed, to protect them, and can be adjusted wider or narrower in an dout on their stalks. They are mounted on Touratech offset mounts, too, which makes a big difference in their field of view. One dislike is they vibrate when you have them loose enough to fold in. When clamped down, they are very clear,but them you can't really fold them in... catch 22. IMO, the single best design to manage the folding issue are the ram mount units, but they remain super easy to walk off with, as well...yet another catch 22...LOL

Here are more shots of the bolt on go-slower goodies on Goat... ;)

Kreiga US-30 pack - a 20L and 10L combo of waterproof bags - awesome quality (this is the 20L bag)

Rear disc protection from Touratech

Engine guards and skidplate from Touratech

BMW F800GS windscreen spoiler from Touratech

Barkbusters - n'uf said...

Mirror extension/offsets

Wolfman tank bag - excellent quality

Brake fluid resevoir protection - Touratech

Brake slave cylinder protection - Touratech

Kickstand pad - Touratech - bit fiddly to install, but solid and works

Rear rack from Touratech

License plate storage unit

Document storage pouch - waterproofs your docs - the silicone over the holes is due to me drilling the wrong holes during install...d'oh! The box is NOT waterproof - call it water resistant, but the fabric pouch (below) holds a heavy duty ziploc for your docs.

Renazco Racing seat - yup, worth every penny!

Renazco Racing gas cap conversion

I carry way too much stuff, I'm sure...

Rotopax mount on Wolfman luggage racks - both excellent quality - and yes, you see wire holding on one corner. Behind that is the exhaust, and I didn't want the rubber-bushed rotopax mount sitting so close to the exhaust, so I used some wire - so far, so good. ;)

Touratech cross bar to mount yet more stuff onto...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #1584
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
"long list of stuff"
Excellent post! Can I ask what your range is with all the gas tanks topped up?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #1585
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp115 View Post
Excellent post! Can I ask what your range is with all the gas tanks topped up?
There is only one gas tank on the bike - the stock underseat unit.

I see around 135 miles of mixed onroad/offroad riding when the low fuel light comes on. I have stretched the bike to 165 miles once and I was told it's good for somewhere between 170 - 180 miles or so on a full tank of fuel. After my 165 miles, I filled up to learn there was still a half gallon down in the tank...LOL Yup, could have gone the extra 10 - 15 miles no problem. The one gallon Rotopax will add another, conservatively, 40 miles to the range.

This is all dependant on how I'm riding obviously. I prefer backroads to freeways on this bike, so that helps. I'm not big on roosting for roosting's sake, so that helps. In reality, I'd estimate my range - with all fuel onbaord (tank & rotopax) at a conservative 190 - 200 miles. Better have fuel left when you reach the station, than run out on the trail I figure. ;)
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #1586
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Great, that's good to know. I'm really torn between a plated-300xcw or the the 690. I realize they are completely different bikes but they both seem like they would do half of what I want...
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #1587
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Thanks SportsGuy

Quote:
Here ya go. Clamps very securely, as the mount's rubber feet are adjustable,allowing you to set how much friction you get. Once on, lock the thing in place and keep the key on your keyring. ;)

I've had the bike up to over 80 mph and that little spoiler does a good job. Doesn't add any real buffeting to my helmet area, takes the majority of wind weight off my chest and shoulders and doesn't flap around on its own.

I was at Touratech's Seattle office last month and saw a display of these spoilers. This one looked to have the same angles break line as the KTM windscreen, so I opted to try it out. The TT guys were great - told me to try it out, leave the protective plastic on the lexan and return it if it didn't work as I hoped. One onroad/offroad ride convinced me its staying. :) It's actually made to fit the stock F800GS windscreen. And if you don't like the lexan portion, fab your own and use the mount to handle the...uh...mounting. ;)

I'll get one of these
Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #1588
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Great, that's good to know. I'm really torn between a plated-300xcw or the the 690. I realize they are completely different bikes but they both seem like they would do half of what I want...
I'm middle aged and fussy. I want the comfort the 690 provides. My days of HaRdCoRe are behind me. ;) I like touring, gravel roads, jeep trails and some random single track scattered in. Thus the 690 fits my needs perfectly. :)
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #1589
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm middle aged and fussy. I want the comfort the 690 provides. My days of HaRdCoRe are behind me. ;) I like touring, gravel roads, jeep trails and some random single track scattered in. Thus the 690 fits my needs perfectly. :)
Sort of the direction I'm headed. Doesn't seem likely that a plated xcw will be a good choice for a Trans-Lab highway run...
Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #1590
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Sort of the direction I'm headed. Doesn't seem likely that a plated xcw will be a good choice for a Trans-Lab highway run...
How to put this... ummm...no. ;)