Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #918
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
That gauge mount looks great!

ktm950se

Paul at http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com can cut you one out of billet. He has the template.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #919
tvaranda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer666 View Post
Enjoy the video!

Man, that clutch won't last long...

Nice video

tvaranda screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 08:52 AM
tvaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #920
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedswith View Post
Hi Guys,

Anyone know where to but 17" supermoto wheel set for 2012 690 Enduro R, ebay ??

Anyone in Australia done this ?
Cheers..
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-part...s-wheels-tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer666 View Post
Enjoy the video!

Nice vid. HD quality looks good.
so how does your GS compare w. the 690?
I had a f800gs so I am curious.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #921
Lucifer666
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post

Nice vid. HD quality looks good.
so how does your GS compare w. the 690?
I had a f800gs so I am curious.
I already got this question from an inmate, this was my respons :

"If you are riding most of the time off road, then I would definitely go for the 690 enduro. The engine is powerfull, with this machine you can pull wheelies even in 3th gear without slipping the clutch . You can ride this beast almost like a true dirt bike. With some modifications it is also possible travelling with this thing. The KTM is also a lot more bulletproof then the F800 if you plan to lay it on it's side and less expensive .
The KTM has a smaller fuel tank then the F800 and the seat is terrible, but for everything is an aftermarket solution. This bike weighs only 150kg with a full tank! Keep in mind that whatever you do the F800 will always stay more comfortable onroad then the ktm 690."

www.lucifer4x4.com
Be Realistic, Demand The Impossible!
Lucifer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #922
fedswith
fedswith

Oddometer: 45
Question mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
"Action" shot; ice cream stop in Gila National forest.

Home with "street" wheels on.

R the mid mounted bar mirrors any good?
Where do u get them, wat brand ?
fedswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #923
mudder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
First day of the year without studded tyres.
mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #924
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedswith View Post
R the mid mounted bar mirrors any good?
Where do u get them, wat brand ?
The mirrors are from DualStar. The work well for me and never seem to get broken.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #925
Hochtouren
Improve until broken

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Ok here's my story.
I currently own a V Strom (650), and a DRZ434SM/S. I really like woods riding and dualsport touring. I love my trusty DRZ and it's set up very nicely for me and have ridden it for 4 years now but have sipped the orange kool aid after riding a buddies 450exc and looking to upgrade. I'm going to sell my Strom as I'm just not that into it these days and am thinking about buying a buddies 2010 690 R.

I'd like 2 bikes, a 690 for the multiday rides and touring, and a 350EXC for the woods.

One of my buds thinks I should have 1 bike, a 500EXC. He's the frugal type and thinks I can get my jollies on one bike rather than feed and water two.

Another thinks I should get a 990ish bike for touring and something small for woods...like the 350. He thinks a 690 and 350 are too close in terms of size and that I should have a more "streety" bike that is comfortable on the highway...with a fairing etc, like the 990 (honestly I'm ot fussy about the size of the 990).

I'd like to hear what some of you folks are doing to hit both sides of the spectrum.

Garrett
I feel your pain. I started sipping the orange kool-aid a couple of years ago lurking around the site and stumbling across orange stuff standing on the back wheel all the time. Short story, sold the trusty XR650R, hemmed and hawed about the 530EXC at the time, then decided to go down the middle and hit the 690R for a little more legs on the road. Live in Calgary, so there's some slab time to get to the real action an hour west. Ended up setting the 690 up with Akro philharmonics, all the travel farkles and going with the small windscreen to take a little off the chest. Ended up looking like this:

Ended up having an absolute blast. All the naysayers talking about reliability and finicky yada yada - not a single issue, not one. Spent all my time doing this:

Weird thing is, the machine was such a blast on the gravel and double track, and I'm not really looking to relive my youthful moto-antics anyway (I'm 47...), so have just traded it in on a new '12 990 ADV. So now what? Same boat as you. Will miss the real off road action (don't let anyone tell you the 690 can't go where the 500 can), but am looking for some more comfort on the long days in the saddle, so opted for the big girl. Will let you know how that turns out. In the mean time, a big salute to the 690 - go anywhere, huge attitude, never missed a beat. Will be missed!

Hochtouren screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 09:42 PM Reason: Messed up my photo links...
Hochtouren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #926
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochtouren View Post
I feel your pain. I started sipping the orange kool-aid a couple of years ago lurking around the site and stumbling across orange stuff standing on the back wheel all the time. Short story, sold the trusty XR650R...
Same here coming off the XR. So how was the weight/balance/power effect by comparison (I don't have the 690 yet)???

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #927
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 940
Can someone give me an idea of the long range comfort compared to my klr? Only looking for ergos, I know the rest of the bits of the bike are better. Also anyone 2 up? How would that compare to my klr?

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #928
BackCountryCruizer
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Can someone give me an idea of the long range comfort compared to my klr? Only looking for ergos, I know the rest of the bits of the bike are better. Also anyone 2 up? How would that compare to my klr?

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk
If you replace the stock vinyl covered 2" x 6" that comes as a seat from KTM the 690 is very comfortable both on and off the pavement. There are several choices out there. I opted for the Seatconcepts.com seat cover and foam. For less than $170 and virtually no wait time (they send you the cover and foam and you have it installed or do it yourself) the bike is transformed! I can ride for hours with no discomfort. I don't have photos with me but here's a link that shows it on my 690.
As to your 2 up question, I've never had anyone on the back so can't answer that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/650tom

BackCountryCruizer screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 07:42 AM Reason: mis spelled words
BackCountryCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #929
logipunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochtouren View Post
I feel your pain. I started sipping the orange kool-aid a couple of years ago lurking around the site and stumbling across orange stuff standing on the back wheel all the time. Short story, sold the trusty XR650R, hemmed and hawed about the 530EXC at the time, then decided to go down the middle and hit the 690R for a little more legs on the road. Live in Calgary, so there's some slab time to get to the real action an hour west. Ended up setting the 690 up with Akro philharmonics, all the travel farkles and going with the small windscreen to take a little off the chest. Ended up looking like this:

Ended up having an absolute blast. All the naysayers talking about reliability and finicky yada yada - not a single issue, not one. Spent all my time doing this:

Weird thing is, the machine was such a blast on the gravel and double track, and I'm not really looking to relive my youthful moto-antics anyway (I'm 47...), so have just traded it in on a new '12 990 ADV. So now what? Same boat as you. Will miss the real off road action (don't let anyone tell you the 690 can't go where the 500 can), but am looking for some more comfort on the long days in the saddle, so opted for the big girl. Will let you know how that turns out. In the mean time, a big salute to the 690 - go anywhere, huge attitude, never missed a beat. Will be missed!
So here is my side of story ...........started last year with 950. Great bike , loved every aspect of it, handling , power ...... until you end up in a woods doing more technical parts......(don't get me wrong , bike is capable of doing everything you throw at it , its mostly the rider (me)) , that couldn't handle the beast. By that i mean , dropping it. It will always happen. Problem was 50% of the time you need to rely on other people help to pick this beast up. So i swap the bike for 690 R........ problem is gone........ if i drop it , its easy to pickup (and i do drop it more then planning for due to my short legs ,im 5'9", and im still an offroad newb).........but besides that , you can travel with this bike long distance as well ........although i might have better opinion after our Canada trip this june.......just my $0.02
logipunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #930
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by logipunk View Post
So here is my side of story ...........started last year with 950. Great bike , loved every aspect of it, handling , power ...... until you end up in a woods doing more technical parts......(don't get me wrong , bike is capable of doing everything you throw at it , its mostly the rider (me)) , that couldn't handle the beast. By that i mean , dropping it. It will always happen. Problem was 50% of the time you need to rely on other people help to pick this beast up. So i swap the bike for 690 R........ problem is gone........ if i drop it , its easy to pickup (and i do drop it more then planning for due to my short legs ,im 5'9", and im still an offroad newb).........but besides that , you can travel with this bike long distance as well ........although i might have better opinion after our Canada trip this june.......just my $0.02
I spent 7 years picking my 950 up. My new 690 arrives in 2 weeks!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote