User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,469
Ct - I Repair Riding Gear

REPAIRS AND MODIFICATION ON PANTS, JERSEYS, GEAR, SEAT COVERS, WHATEVER.

Yea, that's right, I sew. I work in a place that manufactures textile products and I have access to some real heavy duty sewing machines.

Each item is different so I can't give prices but simple repairs are about $20 and more complicated ones would be more. I can add buckles, snaps, velcro, whatever. I have a lot of sturdy zipper, hardware and fabric on hand. Sewing through thin plastic and leather isn't a problem. Seriously, I have access to loads of heavy duty supplies like you can't even imagine.

I live in Uncasville and work in Hartford area, If you want to arrange a drop-off/pick-up.

If you want to mail the item to me, that's fine too. I just ask that you wash it first.

So, if you need something fixed up, PM me and we can work out the details.

Rob

Oh yea, if you have any questions about my capabilities, feel free to post a response here.

akarob screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 01:04 PM
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,758
duely noted.

or however you spell that.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Cobia235
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Engine Case Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob

Yea, that's right, I sew. I work in a place that manufactures textile products and I have access to some real heavy duty sewing machines.

Each item is different so I can't give prices but simple repairs are about $20 and more complicated ones would be more. I can add buckles, snaps, velcro, whatever. I have a lot of sturdy zipper, hardware and fabric on hand. Sewing through thin plastic and leather isn't a problem. Seriously, I have access to loads of heavy duty supplies like you can't even imagine.

I live in Uncasville and work in Hartford area, If you want to arrange a drop-off/pick-up.

If you want to mail the item to me, that's fine too. I just ask that you wash it first.

Rob

Oh yea, if you have any questions about my capabilities, feel free to post a response here.
Hey Rob, do you have any pictures of your engine case guard - I assume its for a XR650L, Thanks Gene.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Sure, here's a link to my Ebay Auction. You can buy it pre-bent or as a flat plate that you can bend as required to fit the curve of your engine case. Just put it in a vice and give it a good tap with a hammer.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
KreechTM
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 61
How's my tail bag coming along?
KreechTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Give me a week or two and it'll be done, you'll be happy like when you see them. I better make some extras!

Here's a screenshot from tonight's progress. I do a drawing, make patterns, then make a bag. Below is sheet 1. I will have another sheet for subassemblies and a seperate pattern sheet as well.

There's a bit that goes into custom bags and I want to make sure it's repeatable.

akarob screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 08:11 PM
Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,298
Rob, can you add fabric to my Olympia pants to make them longer? No one here in Rhode Island wants to do it and I don't want to ruin my home machine. I've got extra leg fabric from the company. I'd need about 3 to 4" added to the bottom of each leg (apparently I'm a freak of nature for a girl). But you couldn't keep the pants for long since I wear them every day. I could probably go a week without? Whadd'ya think? I'd even slum it and ride to Uncasville.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Sure, if you have matching fabric, that's perfect. If not, I have plenty of nice heavy duty nylon Cordura in black.

Add an extension with a velcro closure, not a big deal. Embroidered flames would be extra though. PM sent.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
I can attest to this mans qualifications. He made me a custom order rear fender bag and it is of higher quality than you can buy commercially. In the bag was a tool pouch which of of the same quality. Very rugged material. Zippers were top shelf and over the rated capacity and the stitching was PERFECT!.
I am not BS'in good Job Rob.
I dropped off a Acrebris Koerta pressure suit to Rob and I dont even worry about the fix not being better than the original sew. [IMG][/IMG]

Potato head is there to show you how I bought the suit from an Asshole from Texas =Needmoney- dont buy nothing from this loser.
I'll post an after pic when I can get my suit back from Rob, I am sure he has repaired this item better than new.
My first ever online purchase, my first ever Paypal purchase, and my last used item purchase.
go F- yourself Oscar Conteres!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
KTMtrailrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I dropped off my Gaerne boots for Rob to repair. The top strap which attaches with velcro had ripped almost all the way through, making the boots basically unusable. Rob looked at the ripped boot, told me to give him both boots, even though the one that wasn't ripped, and told me he would fix both so that the other one wouldn't fail in the future. I picked the boots up today, and Rob had done a great job, with very nice attention to detail. Not to mention, that he had the boots repaired in only two days. Great turn around time, great work, and a pleasure to deal with. If you need something repaired, give Rob a call as he will take good care of you!

He is also working on some pretty slick rear fender tool bags. Again, these are much nicer than anything you can buy from one of the moto suppliers, and a lot of creative thinking has gone into these, with pockets, pouches for tools, etc. The finished product is very nice!
KTMtrailrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
akarob OP
Green Cantern

Glad you like them. Maybe you can get a picture of the finished work. I neglected to take one before you picked them up but the thread I used was basically small rope. Seriously, the thread is thicker than anything you see done today. Super heavy duty machine. I'll also get those pants back to you better than new as well.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
akarob OP
Green Cantern

I was just explaining what I do to an inmate tonight and I thought I'd post a copy of the info.
As for my work, it's the best. Guaranteed to be industrial grade. No problems there. Fixing burn holes, buckles, zippers, velcro - whatever. We have a machine that would probably be able to sew thin plywood together. I generally just work on an old single or double needle Singer machine, they're the best.

My 1950s model at home can sew through about 6-8 layers of heavy canvas grade fabric.

I've been known to use Kevlar thread and fabric from time to time too.
I had pictures from that boot repair somewhere, can't seem to find them. It came out very well. I'm working on editing a video on my tail bag too.

If you need some sewing work done, PM me. Interesting trades always considered.

akarob screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 05:55 PM
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
akarob OP
Green Cantern

I'm happy to announce that the KTM rear fender bag is now available.

Pricing is $40, and $50 including the optional tool roll.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post

Rob

I have the perfect job for you. I have a pair of FOX pants that I want to have the waterproof lining from a pair of First Gear pants mated with. This would involve removing the zipper (that the lining zips to around the inside of the waist) from the first gear pants and sewing it into the fox pants so I can then zip the lining in and thus making the fox pants actually more water tight, they suck as they are. Oh and maybe sewing on some hoods for the zippers on the fox pants too? Probably cost more than a new set of pants but I think they would be awesome if this could be done. PM if you think that is possible. I can snap some pics of what I am talking about or show you in person.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #15
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,758
Tool bag looks great Rob. Almost identical to the Touratech one I had on my old LC4 that cost twice as much. Any change you will make these in all black or with red trim? That would match my Husky better. I also have some zippers for you to repair on a Moose XRC jacket but the timing for for this is not good right now. I'll contact you in the future.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote