User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Grimes OP
ΜΟΛ&#

Oddometer: 31
1974 Honda XL250 Restoration

So, I'm starting my 1974 Honda XL250 restoration.

I got the 1974 complete bike and the 1972 parts bike for $750. Yeah I may have payed a little much but I've really wanted one and they do not come up very often around here.

I'm restoring the 1974, and it had a few missing parts and dings but that adds character. It runs good and rides good.

I've so far bought most of the missing parts and a manual for a total so far of $284.31.

I have about another $100 or less to go before its done.

I'm doing a complete restoration of it. That means stripping the frame, painting it, replacing parts, cleaning, etc.

I will be updating on my progress and uploading pictures starting this weekend.
Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 929
You wanted one, so it doesn't matter what you paid for the bike or parts. Good luck!
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,514
I'll sell you a running 1980 XL125S for $749.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Grimes OP
ΜΟΛ&#

Thanks guys.

The guy before me put a unifilter on it and didn't rejet, so it was having trouble idling. I got the original airbox off ebay and a airfilter from honda. I also got a carb rebuild kit, plus a new gasket for the intake boot. So it should have a smooth idle after thats all done.

Plus it came with a new head gasket and the rubber tube gasket for oil pressure to the head in original wrapping. So i will be doing that as well.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes
So, I'm starting my 1974 Honda XL250 restoration.

I got the 1974 complete bike and the 1972 parts bike for $750. Yeah I may have payed a little much but I've really wanted one and they do not come up very often around here.

I'm restoring the 1974, and it had a few missing parts and dings but that adds character. It runs good and rides good.

I've so far bought most of the missing parts and a manual for a total so far of $284.31.

I have about another $100 or less to go before its done.

I'm doing a complete restoration of it. That means stripping the frame, painting it, replacing parts, cleaning, etc.

I will be updating on my progress and uploading pictures starting this weekend.
It's more fun if you just throw the receipts in a box and don't add them up.

Excellent project. Mine has been on hold for a bit, but when I get back to the same state it's in, I'll work on it some more.

Enjoy!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Those early XL250s are cool bikes. I had wanted one since I was about 14, riding around the countryside of Illinois on an XL125. I like uniqueness in bikes, so the fact that they were one of the earliest 4-valve production bikes really stuck out as cool in my mind (I know there have been 4-valve motors since the teens, but I mean readily available, mass produced 4-valvers).
I snagged a slightly ratty but mostly there '72 model last year and got it running. I rode it around for a while and had a lot of fun, but I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the motor. It seemed like the extra valves took away some of the low-end grunt that I expected a 250 single to have, without giving anything back on the top end. Granted, the factory state of tune is very mild and I bet there's a lot of untapped potential. It was still a great bike. Very user-friendly and fun to ride. I planned on keeping it, but I ended up trading it for a '76 Yamaha XT500. I had always wanted one of those too, but even more. I'm still working on that one.
Good luck with the restoration. I'm looking forward to the pictures.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
Grimes OP
ΜΟΛ&#

Well, I started working on it this weekend.

Took off both side covers, cleaned the old oil/sludge out of the bottom of the crankcase and cleaned the coarse filter and the centrifugal filter.

My heart sank when I took the left cover off and saw the clutch actuating lever. I guess some water had gotten in there long ago and begun to corrode the magnesium. It was a mix of old grease, oil and corrosion. Well, I took it all apart and cleaned it the best I could. Its a little pitted but not through. I greased it all up and it pivots 10x better now. I then took the clutch plates apart, cleaned/inspected them, then put it all back together.

Then did a full carburetor rebuild with new gaskets, needle, jets, etc. That's about 40% of the work.

But I forgot to put new oil in it before I left, oh well..., its not being ridden anyways.

Sucks I didn't get any pictures.

Now, next time will be replacing the head gasket on the engine.

I found out also that the engine is a 1972, so I will be transferring most of the parts off the 1974 frame to the 1972 frame. Its in much better shape as well with me only needing to weld on the 2 tank studs.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Grimes OP
ΜΟΛ&#

Sorry I've been busy guys, here's an update on the bike

Got the frame all stripped down today and replaced the fork oil just cause. Also had to switch out the springs inside with some good extra ones I had as they were rusted really bad. But all is good now.

Here's pictures of the parts and such. Bike came with new tires and a new chain, so I'm pretty happy, plus the entire extra parts bike including the extra entire engine makes me even happier for replacement parts as needed.

A few days ago I won a 1975 XL250 fuel tank with cap and petcock on ebay for $5.00+$15.00 shipping. Inside is brand new looking, outside is good condition with a small dent on the right side. Comes with the petcock I've been needing. (not pictured)

Then I got the rear grab bar with the turn signal mounts for $19 on ebay. (not pictured)

As you can see, I already put the two fuel tank mounting studs on the frame that was missing them, now I just have to weld that small hole on the muffler, get the rest of the parts, replace seals and gaskets for top end, paint the frame and engine, and put it all back together. Then start her up.

* That is my fathers pristine 1968 CT90 in one of the pictures.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/...11%207%202010/

Got the final list compiled of what I need to do.

Ebay

1.) Headlight
2.) Complete Gasket/o-ring kit

Honda

1.) Parts adding up to $30.42 + shipping

Local stores/online

1.) Rotella T 15w-40 oil
2.) Fuse cover
3.) Fuse holder
4.) New plastic connectors for wiring
5.) Hondabond HT
6.) Bel-ray molylube 65
7.) Bel-ray waterproof grease
8.) Battery

Make at home

1.) Tach cable holder
2.) Blue cover for High Beam indicator
3.) Screw for muffler shield

Work on bike once I get all parts

1.) Degrease/Clean frame and frame parts
2.) Remove rust from frame and frame parts
3.) Paint Frame and clear coat and paint frame parts
4.) Clean up outside of fuel tank and touch up paint/clear coat
5.) Replace gaskets/oil seals/o-rings for top end
6.) Set timing and points
7.) Put wiring and parts back into frame
8.) Weld small hole in muffler
9.) Put engine back in frame
10.) Fill engine with oil
11.) Add gas
12.) Start her up and test ride around block

Also somewhere in here

1.) Go to DMV and apply for bonded title (or if they have a record for a previous owner, get title from them)

I know I shouldn't have bought without title but I couldn't resist as these bikes don't come up often around here. I have Bill of Sale and everything though. The frame was checked and not stolen.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 528
Subscribed. These were great bikes and I always felt the original XL250 motosport was better than the second, centure port/carb version. In fact I got in hot water with the Honda importers by road testing the centre port for a newspaper and describing it as a step backwards.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
Zeke Markham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I have a high beam indicator light minus the blue cover from a 75 if you want it. PM me your address and I'll see if I can dig it up and drop it in the mail.
Zeke Markham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
Grimes OP
ΜΟΛ&#

Thanks Zeke, pm sent.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Grimes OP
ΜΟΛ&#

Got some good news.

I had the police run the frame i'm using for the restoration and it came back as not stolen (not registered too, but its if it was stolen or not i wanted to know most). I'm good to do a bonded title on it.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Bobblehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp
It's more fun if you just throw the receipts in a box and don't add them up.
If the new/replacement part works, I take it upon myself to throw the receipt out. No use crying over spilled milk, or cash dumped into a bike.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Grimes OP
ΜΟΛ&#

you mean like $323.48 with another $80-$100 to go
Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
Grimes OP
ΜΟΛ&#

Heres an update, and pics will be posted later tonight. Also this bike is going to have a 1972 frame and engine but it will look like a 1975.

I got the frame and other parts all painted and am assembling the frame today. I switched the fork tubes for good ones as the other ones were rusted on the inside along with the springs. I dissassembled and cleaned the rear shocks and used hose clamps as spring compressors. I then made a high beam indicator cover. I rebuilt the petcock also.

Now heres a list of the remaining stuff

Ebay

1.) Headlight
2.) Complete Gasket/o-ring kit

Honda

1.) Parts adding up to $30.42 + shipping

Local stores/online

1.) Rotella T 15w-40 oil
2.) New plastic connectors for wiring
3.) Hondabond HT
4.) Bel-ray molylube 65
5.) Battery

Make at home

1.) Tach cable holder
2.) Screw for muffler shield

Work on bike once I get all parts

1.) Replace head gasket/oil seals/o-rings for top end
2.) Set timing and points
3.) Put wiring and parts back into frame
4.) Weld small hole in muffler
5.) Put engine back in frame
6.) Fill engine with oil
7.) Add gas
8.) Start her up and test ride around block
9.) Go to DMV and apply for bonded title (or if they have a record for a previous owner, get title from them)

Grimes screwed with this post 12-22-2010 at 06:37 PM