Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,677
Wicked How to make your own Carbon Fiber hand guards......

Well...... I`m at it again...... with a dual project...... Handguards....and HID install. Sort of crazy...... While the CF bakes in the oven.....make the braket for the hid...... Ohhh....my.... Well.... Here it is....
I bought a set of BMW hand guards from the friendly folks at San Diego BMW.....Less the plastic......... and after getting home... I began. Some of you might have read my other project threads......here at the PU. If not..... You might want to give it a read first......Anyway..... With foam in hand....I began building up the guards.... One piece at a time.....

Then off they go...... And on the operating table..... Ready for the layup....

In the sun drying.........

As usual..... I`m making them bigger....and then will cut them to size. I used epoxy...... In my other threads I posted the links to the manufacture. I used 4 layers of 5.7 oz 2x2 twill, and max clr hp epoxy. Simple stuff...... You basically make the shape you like....then lay up the cloth...... Note that I matched the foam construction to the outer part of the guard.....so the layup will fit it. Tomorrow brings cutting....and a little sanding...
Until then.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Well...... I`m at it again.
Geesh dude, you're incorrigible when it comes to carbon fiber parts! Do you also make carbon fiber birthday cakes????

I *do* like the idea of those CF handguards Just Because .....
Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
Geesh dude, you're incorrigible when it comes to carbon fiber parts! Do you also make carbon fiber birthday cakes????

I *do* like the idea of those CF handguards Just Because .....
....... In all honesty...... It`s the fabbing I want to promote....... Not necessarily the look of the Carbon. Many don`t like it.....and I fully understand.....and many times suggest to just paint it in whatever color you like. It`s the fact that one can make these in a few minutes...... That I wanna promote......And.....ehhhh.... Just because....

Erling
Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,718
Cool stuff dude!

I admit I haven't read your other threads in depth but can you enlighten me on a couple quick items...

Where do you get your CF?

It appears you are using a resin with bi-directional mat, have you used pre-preg? What are you using?

I have a bit of CF experience when I was building prototype race cars at my university for FSAE competitions. We always used expired military pre-preg stuff with vacuum bags and an autoclave. I have not tried to source any carbon before on my own but if it is easily available I may try my hand.

Thanks!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Cool stuff dude!

I admit I haven't read your other threads in depth but can you enlighten me on a couple quick items...

Where do you get your CF?

Either of these 2 places....
http://uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html
http://stores.ebay.com/Polymer-Products?_rdc=1

It appears you are using a resin with bi-directional mat, have you used pre-preg?
Yes....but not for these projects....Very good....but very pricey.

What are you using?

I have a bit of CF experience when I was building prototype race cars at my university for FSAE competitions. We always used expired military pre-preg stuff with vacuum bags and an autoclave. I have not tried to source any carbon before on my own but if it is easily available I may try my hand.

Thanks!
The pre-preg stuff is really great...... There are a few things to consider however..... Cost a lot more....and quickly necessitate an oven. Then the storage..... can be a pain..... Unless your wife don`t mind you put it in the fridge......... Generally speaking.... It`s best left for professional applications. And with the modern day stuff for mortals...... Life is now very simple.... I encourage you to give it a try......

Erling
Old 09-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Talking Finished........

After hardening overnight.... I began cutting them to shape today...... This is a mixture of......cut a little here......mark here....sand here....repeat process, until you have the shape you want.......

Then I was going round and round....trying to figure out those Germans...... Why on earth they had their matching plastic guards protrude through the metal rod.....bolting it to the back side...... Some things are over engineered...imho........ I took a leader decision.....and just drilled and tapped another m4 in the front............

Then rubbed in a fresh coat of epoxy......after sanding ....off course..... then wipe the pox off....like when you oil a piece of furniture..... then another bake....... And here is the result.......

After a coat of uv protective lacquer......Then on the bike......

All in all........I`m liking it......This would be an easy project for the first timers.......

Erling
Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
VERY COOL ! Nice work indeed.
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Guys.......

Erling
Old 01-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Put a top spoiler on top.....just to give the knuckles a bit more protection.....

Erling
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Nice work mate, your bike is starting to look really trick!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Nice work mate, your bike is starting to look really trick!
Thanks......It`s getting there....... Now if I can just finish the composite adventure bags........ Nice thing about the composite......It`s somewhat inexpensive in parts.....and functional...... With a little practice......about anyone can do it......well....except for my mom...

Erling