Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #46
Darryl's bmw
Darby

Oddometer: 127
What is the EBC part # for pads that fit the 4 piston Brembo?

Galfer green (FD198G1532 I see is another option.
Darryl's bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #47
Tobz
Ne'er-du-well

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl's bmw View Post
What is the EBC part # for pads that fit the 4 piston Brembo?

Galfer green (FD198G1532 I see is another option.
I used the EBC FA407 in Kevlar and have been pleased. The HH may have more bite but would also wear the rotor more.
Tobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #48
V4Moto
V4Moto

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Try the MC that you have first see if it is acceptable to you, if not look under my sig and see what I used..I don't remember, maybe a 12mm?? Motobins was cheaper than the US dealer.

Do not split your calipers for a rebuild..you've been warned..they can be rebuilt without splitting.

If you want to sell your caliper then you should post in fleamarket not here. I found this 4 pot at good as the 6 pot Harrison, far cheaper when figuring pads. The brembo is an easy swap plus uses OEM BMW parts, that's a plus in my book. The 6 pot has a lot of material and leverage on the mounting tabs, a minus in my book in case of an accident..think about that one.
First the accolades - that was interesting to see how it worked out. You had all Brembo calipers, I was looking at one that is BMW branded (prolly made by Brembo) from an 02 R1100S. Looks to be slightly different placing for the nipple and hose connection but the critical thing would be the spacing of the mounts. Any idea if one of the BMW ones from that era would also fit?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #49
V4Moto
V4Moto

Also - It looks like its mounted to a standard 285mm disc but I don't want to assume, can you confirm?
Ta
Old 06-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #50
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4Moto View Post
First the accolades - that was interesting to see how it worked out. You had all Brembo calipers, I was looking at one that is BMW branded (prolly made by Brembo) from an 02 R1100S. Looks to be slightly different placing for the nipple and hose connection but the critical thing would be the spacing of the mounts. Any idea if one of the BMW ones from that era would also fit?

that's up to you to figure out....if you can read a rule.....
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #51
V4Moto
V4Moto

Never been one for rules....... will have to make an exception. Cheers
Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #52
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 575
So - I obtained my K1100 4 pot Brembo, had it milled, and am about to clean it up, put in new pads to prep for installing it.

Question - I found a K1100LT repair manual on-line and it provides the following ref. servicing the front brake caliper

My caliper looks in good shape however would it be a good idea (since it's "new/used" to me) to remove the pistons and sealing rings to inspect them? And, if so, will that require getting new sealing rings? If I need new rings - where's a good place to get them? Bob's BMW fiche lists the "brake repair kit" at $88!! - is that just the rings or does it include new pistons as well!? Just looking for some experience, thoughts, and advice to prepare myself.

Thanks!

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #53
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

clean outside of caliper and what you can of the pistons (you don't want to push dirt back on the seals if you can help it), remove pistons, clean pistons, remove seals and clean and inspect, clean calipers and seal groves, reassemble and check for leaks or loss of pressure. That's all I have done with the MANY I have had machined and none have leaked (knock on wood). The only problem I had was leaking when splitting the calipers...I never split the calipers anymore. They are next to impossible to bolt together without leaking. At least for me.

There is a trick to remove one side at a time, ......I have a tool made just for that....but I'll let you figure that one out since you had the caliper milled yourself.

The kit includes seals and pistons.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 10-13-2014 at 06:29 PM
Old 10-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #54
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Thanks OLH - exactly what I was hoping to hear!

I think I saw at some point in my research a method to getting the Pistons out - I'll try it out and if I get stuck (literally ) I'll cry for help.

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
Old 10-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #55
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Ok - in cleaning the caked om brake dust I found 2 "chips" on one of the pistons.
Don't know how they happened but regardless - they're there. One's a small nick at the edge and the other is around the small hole in the center. So - unless someone much smarter and wiser says it's no problem it looks like I'll be ordering the repair kit after all?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #56
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

it's not the surface of the piston you need to worry about, but the sides which contact the seals. Don't worry about it.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #57
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Deal! I'll take that $88 plus shipping and put it in the bank!

Thanks again One Less Harley!