User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Flys Lo OP
cool hand fluke

Oddometer: 321
Wicked Which scoot do I look good with?

So, me and a mate are starting the planning of a 4-6month "adventure" that will commence about this time next year.
It is either going to be starting in LA-LA land, and ride down into South America... or start in Thailand, do SE Asia, a bit of China as well as India. It would be, for both of us, our first of this kind of journey, we both travel quite a bit, just haven't done it with a piece of 2x4 supporting our scrotum. I have ridden since I have been knee high to a grasshopper... my mate... has his license, but never really ridden.

Either way, we will be buying the gear stateside due to the wonderful state of the US Dollar, most stuff is cheap as chit here, and its where I currently live.
The current crotch rocket won't fit the bill, so I thought I would talk to you charming gents about what should my scoot of choice be.
Would be looking for a bike that is at least a couple of years old, and the previous owner setup for this kind of riding, so I spend a few less peso's

I have decided that parading around a third world country on some bimmer worth more than what the locals can sell their kids for slavery is in a bit of bad taste, KTM's are orange, so that rules them out, I don't have any skirts in my closet that would match a V-Strom, and I like the idea of being able to pick the bike up when I inevitably eat dirt. Tiger's are neat, but when it inevitably breaks down I don't want to be holed up in Burma waiting for a couple of months for a part crafted by Queen Elizabeth herself and made from unobtainium to fly in.

I think KLR's are kind of cool, in a redneck, simple, I might have 2 teeth kind of way - and the odds on finding one that has the right farkles is probably decent, but I don't know, for all its adeptness, it seems to lack the kind of character that I would want for my noble steed for this journey. A Royal Enfield would be absolutely kick-ass in my opinion, but I am sure you guys and gals might book me in for a trip to the local shrink before I even left.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts, I am leaning towards a single, hence posting it here, but completely stupid suggestions like Moto Guzzi's and the like are welcome to.

Flys Lo screwed with this post 05-19-2011 at 12:12 PM
Flys Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Quite an intro

You might not look good with any bike? That you only know LOL

Few years old and something you can pick up. Well that narrows it down abit.

Suzuki Dr
Kawasaki KLR
Bmw f650
Honda xl650
Bmw xchallenge

I would opt for the klr or f650. Reason is that they will be the ones you will find most equipped and they lean more towards the street.

Good luck on your trip!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Whiskytoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
I'd like to help, but I'm short one tooth to many to offer you any advise.
Whiskytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Awesome intro!

You could Get/make/build one of these. (KTM 525 with a rally management services kit, yeah you said no ktms, but you would look badass on it)

Or one of these (wr450f)

(Honestly I just thought those bikes were awesome and felt like posting them someplace, they would not be my first recommendation for a rtw/long distance adv single. But it would make for an interesting trip)

Seriously though... I've always thought it would be cool to just show up wherever and grab some decent, semi reliable looking bike nearby(whatever the locals ride, like an enfield in india, ural in russia, etc) and have at it.

If I had to build something here to take as far as possible I'd probably use a Xr600r/650L/650R or a Dr650. Although I would probably build the Dr650 like this as I rather like the "slap a bigass tank and a ktm fairing on a bike and run it" idea.

lstzephyr screwed with this post 10-03-2010 at 12:56 AM
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 687
You want an old Russian Minsk and as many tools as you can carry. Plus goggles and a sheepskin cap

Is it permissable to take a vehicle from Burma to China? I live in Cambodia and even though you are "technically" allowed to drive a moto of 150cc or less to Vietnam they have not let one through in two years.
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,575
FWIW I currently live in Thailand and ANY bike that is over 250 cc's is looked at as a "rich mans toy" (my $2000 DR 650 included ).

If you want to go incognito and not have people stare at you as you ride, ask you all kinds of questions when you get gas, sit on your bike when parked, or freak out when you bring it into a local shop.. then pick up a Honda Baja or something simlar. If you are cool with people, know how to do most of your own maintenance and ready to deal with some other interesting situations then I think a welll sorted KLR, DR, Transalp will work just fine.
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
If you're handsome enough, you can make anything look good. So you tell us, how bling does it have to be
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,145
get one of these...you'll blend right in:

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,045
Ural or Royal Enfield.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
ScottieH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
DR650 or XT600

I second the nod towards a DR650. Suzuki makes a good, reputable bike. I own an '88 Yamaha Tenere (brother of the XT600) which will suit me fine for my international forays. Big thumpers rock. I also second the nod to be able to maintenance your own bike. Know it inside and out and don't wait for any poncy ass queen to mill out your new fork spacers-- This guy and and girl rode two up down the Pan-American on a Tiger. (http://www.rocinantestravels.com/pan-am/index.htm) Their ultimate recommendation, don't take a Tiger- "I would have chosen a one cylinder, 600cc off road bike like the Yamaha XT600, the Suzuki DR650, or maybe a Honda one or two cylinder XL or Transalp."

Have fun and keep us posted!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
awshouse
Downwardly mobile

Oddometer: 435
Husky TE610

I recently picked up my first Husky, a TE610. And it kicks ass. Plus, you forgot to say something offensive about Husky owners in your intro, so this gives you the opening. ;)
awshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,135
I think we found the right color KTM for you:

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
Flys Lo OP
cool hand fluke

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskytoast
I'd like to help, but I'm short one tooth to many to offer you any advise.
Hey, I didn't say redneck was a bad thing, now did I?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr
You could Get/make/build one of these. (KTM 525 with a rally management services kit, yeah you said no ktms, but you would look badass on it)
Or one of these (wr450f)
I think I just got a chubby with both of those.
Quote:
Seriously though... I've always thought it would be cool to just show up wherever and grab some decent, semi reliable looking bike nearby(whatever the locals ride, like an enfield in india, ural in russia, etc) and have at it.
Not a bad idea that. If we do Asia, an Enfield might work - well actually, it probably won't, but that will be half the fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieH
I also second the nod to be able to maintenance your own bike. Know it inside and out and don't wait for any poncy ass queen to mill out your new fork spacers
In my spare time I am a mechanical engineer, which means I don't know chit, but I have a piece of paper that says otherwise.
But I have decided that if I can do all the work on my flying brick, I can work on most anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awshouse
I recently picked up my first Husky, a TE610. And it kicks ass. Plus, you forgot to say something offensive about Husky owners in your intro, so this gives you the opening. ;)
I actually like Huskies... and I really like Husabergs, but the whole "I am running low on blinker fluid, and need to pick some up from the next dealer" when you are stuck in some remote village in Cambodia, its pissing down rain and you really want your mommy kind of ruled them off the shortlist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
I think we found the right color KTM for you:

I'd hit it.
Flys Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flys Lo
I'd hit it.

theres a bit of a queue ahead of you on this one

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
awshouse
Downwardly mobile

Oddometer: 435
blinker fluid

I actually like Huskies... and I really like Husabergs, but the whole "I am running low on blinker fluid, and need to pick some up from the next dealer"

Right. Of course.

Oh, that reminds me. I've got 10 gallons of Husky blinker fluid to unload. $5/quart plus shipping within the continental US. pm me if you're interested.
awshouse is offline   Reply With Quote