User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #1696
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
...latest/greatest.

I'm in between projects and decide to build some panniers just to figure out some things for myself...

I bought a nice EDPM rubber gasket to be used on Jim's GSA panniers. Only problem was it couldn't turn a hard 90 and wouldn't work anyway with the flange design I chose.

So I have a 250' box of this stuff, and it was an arm and a leg. I want to use it.

I do some figuring with some scrap based upon manufacurer's specs for minimum bend radius.

So I fab some "wrap-around bevel" panniers with the top flange extra long to compensate for the radius to be cut out.

I use a cutting wheel on the straights, and a jigsaw on the curves. I shape up with a file and then de-burr the backside with a de-burring tool. What else would I use? Good tip from a fellow inmate.

Oh heck yes! I'd say that's quite the upgrade!

I'm quite happy with that! I just learned a new trick.

For my next trick I have two different lid designs I want to try. That's going to take some more figuring...
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #1697
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,634
Looks great!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #1698
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Looks great,fair amount of work but a more elegant solution than what I usually see.
What I see mostly is the rubber cut at 45 degrees and welded together to form the corner,doesn't matter how well it's done it doesn't stand up over time.
I like elegant solutions and that will last a long time,does that gasket clamp on to the edge?
Any glue used to fix it ?
Wheres the joint?
gunnabuild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #1699
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Well damn! I'm gonna have to build a set of those in addition to my racks when I make the trip up there. May I dare ask in public how much a set of the uncoated pannier boxes go for now??

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #1700
Hookdude
Flying W Master

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
I could use some help getting decent penetration myself. Too bad this thread is all guys.

Good one!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #1701
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1 View Post
Looks great,fair amount of work but a more elegant solution than what I usually see.
What I see mostly is the rubber cut at 45 degrees and welded together to form the corner,doesn't matter how well it's done it doesn't stand up over time.
I like elegant solutions and that will last a long time,does that gasket clamp on to the edge?
Any glue used to fix it ?
Wheres the joint?
Thanks! No glue. The "clip" part is metal impregnated and fits very snugly.

The joint is in the very middle of the longest side closest to the bike.

I plan on doing a slip hinge that allows the lid to hinge on the long side away from the bike.

I also want the top to have the bevel on all 4 sides. Since the pannier lower has a flat top flange, I'll have to make two pieces and weld them together. I want the lid to overhang the lower like a standard flat lid, so that will take a couple brain cells to figure out.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #1702
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Looks great!

Jim
Thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #1703
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookdude View Post

Good one!
Yep. Thanks for bringing that disgusting quote back up.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #1704
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,626
Hi, I'm in need of some welding/fabrication. Maybe you can help me.
I have an old F250 that I use to haul my stuff. I have a 12' cabover truck camper that hangs off the back by almost 3'. My goal would be to extend the my receiver hitch by 3' so I can use my camper and my 12' enclosed trailer at the same time.

I have a coupla other things I would like to have welded on the truck.

Would you be interested in this kind of work?
Thanks
Jack
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #1705
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Hi, I'm in need of some welding/fabrication. Maybe you can help me.
I have an old F250 that I use to haul my stuff. I have a 12' cabover truck camper that hangs off the back by almost 3'. My goal would be to extend the my receiver hitch by 3' so I can use my camper and my 12' enclosed trailer at the same time.

I have a coupla other things I would like to have welded on the truck.

Would you be interested in this kind of work?
Thanks
Jack
You can buy a hitch extension just like what you need, they are readily available, engineered to work, and no liability on this guy doing it out of his home. I have had a couple shops and more then a couple insurance companies, soon as you tell them your welding trailers, hitch's, or hitch plates, they start adding digits to to bill. Personally if I was working out of my home as a side business I would probably steer clear of this. But thats me.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #1706
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
You can buy a hitch extension just like what you need, they are readily available, engineered to work, and no liability on this guy doing it out of his home. I have had a couple shops and more then a couple insurance companies, soon as you tell them your welding trailers, hitch's, or hitch plates, they start adding digits to to bill. Personally if I was working out of my home as a side business I would probably steer clear of this. But thats me.
I have to agree with Dan on this one. Not to mention possibly beyond my realm of experience at this point in the game.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #1707
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Well damn! I'm gonna have to build a set of those in addition to my racks when I make the trip up there. May I dare ask in public how much a set of the uncoated pannier boxes go for now??
PM me. I'm going to abide by the rules by not posting anything related to sales/pricing.

I'm not ready for a vendor thread until I have everything figured out and don't want this thread to turn into one...

I think it's okay to show what I'm building without pimping. Mods please advise if I'm wrong.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #1708
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

So I decide to combine two lids in one with a twist...

Beveled with a slip-hinge. I saw how to do it in my sleep last night. I'm really not kidding. Subconcious thought or divine intervention. I dunno. But I'm running with it!

I take some measurements and go for it. I'm building a picture frame basically. One that hinges. Once fabbed, I will skin it with a beveled top. Why the tight reverse bend up top? That's the twist. You'll have to stay tuned to see if I can pull it off. I was able to pull one of the lower jaw plates off the bottom apron of my brake to make a 3/8" reverse bend flange. Still learning the tools as I go.

Hinge holes drilled in the press. Holes connected with a cutting wheel. A mill/drill is in my future. A quality made cross-slide vise for my existing drill press at the very least.

Testing, testing, 1,2,3.... yeppers! That'll work! Now to make 3 more and connect everything together.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #1709
JaxObsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I have to agree with Dan on this one. Not to mention possibly beyond my realm of experience at this point in the game.
Thanks for the reply.
Best of luck with your business, your boxes look AWESOME.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #1710
JaxObsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

uncalled for.
Agreed.
Nuked. Please remove it from your quote.