Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #226
StevenF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
The stuff you're doing is amazing, I would love to be able to do things like that. I like to think I'm handy, and I do try, but I'm not that good :(

I'm guessing you have some sort of background in engineering or something?
StevenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #227
fxstbiluigi
aka Road Monster

Oddometer: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i have a body and paint business so i have all the tools and product but all i use is body filler then primer then shoot the paint. the fun part is filling up the tank for the first time and see how much it holds!
And whether or not it is going to look like a sprinkler system......
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #228
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
You need to change this thread title from "Rookie wanna-be welder starting to make some cool things" to something like:

Newbie Welder IS Making Some Cool Things!
Thanks, josjor!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #229
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
yea 18 gauge is good, i have used 20 gauge for light weight to 16 gauge for a tank that weight isnt an issue. the thicker metal is easier for me to work with since i use a mig welder. let me know if you have more quetions for sure!
Do you pressure test or seal your tanks before paint prep?

When I had a custom paint business, I used POR-15 to seal the crappy Custom Chrome tanks customers would give me. I had a filler cap fitted with an air fitting, and I would screw on a petcock and close it. I would put a very low pressure on it and squirt all the seams with an old Windex bottle full of soapy water looking for leaks.

Painting and airbrushing I can do, but I've never tried to fab a tank.

I like to use Evercoat fillers and I'm partial to House of Kolor on the paint and clear.

Maybe next break I'll start hacking the DR tank and post up whether I fail or succeed.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #230
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
The stuff you're doing is amazing, I would love to be able to do things like that. I like to think I'm handy, and I do try, but I'm not that good :(

I'm guessing you have some sort of background in engineering or something?
Thanks, StevenF!

Nope, just a dumb electrician here. But I have been very fortunate to work around skilled tradesmen from a young age who taught me how to use hand tools.

At one point in time I had a fairly successful, full-time, Airbrushing/custom paint/vinyl signage/leather tooling business dealing mostly in custom motorcycles, but I had to hang up my sprayguns and go back to my day job for family health benefits. My family comes before anything, and I have no regrets.

Getting into welding has renewed my creativity and I'm loving it. Once I can pull off a fuel tank like Kubiak is making, then maybe I'll consider myself good!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #231
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Do you pressure test or seal your tanks before paint prep?

When I had a custom paint business, I used POR-15 to seal the crappy Custom Chrome tanks customers would give me. I had a filler cap fitted with an air fitting, and I would screw on a petcock and close it. I would put a very low pressure on it and squirt all the seams with an old Windex bottle full of soapy water looking for leaks.

Painting and airbrushing I can do, but I've never tried to fab a tank.

I like to use Evercoat fillers and I'm partial to House of Kolor on the paint and clear.

Maybe next break I'll start hacking the DR tank and post up whether I fail or succeed.
i do the same thing, i have a old windex sprayer with soapy water in it and presure test the tank then go back and weld up the leaks then i prep and paint it up. i did have a few tanks blow a flame out the gas filler though from not getting all the fumes out! i flush them out better now before i start lol!
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #232
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

i been playing around with making crashbars too lately. i made this tank protector/skid plate combo to protect my tank. i bashed up my tank a few times on the boulders but now just a touchup with paint on the crashbar is all it needs after a bad fall.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #233
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i been playing around with making crashbars too lately. i made this tank protector/skid plate combo to protect my tank. i bashed up my tank a few times on the boulders but now just a touchup with paint on the crashbar is all it needs after a bad fall.
heres a pic of them in silver so you can see them better in the pic, i also made the saddlebag mounts and rear rack.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #234
StevenF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
They look brilliant, you certainly are creative! :)
StevenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:01 AM   #235
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Free materials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gents, I just got my hands on some more free "scrap" materials that were slated for the dumpster. I just brought another 4,000 lbs of steel home from work.

What I have available: 1 5/8" solid unistrut x 16' in length and heavy duty upright frames constructed of 3/16" C channel. The uprights weigh about 100 lbs. each. Edit: they actually weigh 63 lbs each.

I used the same materials to make my table, cart, metal brake, and bike lift. In the photo of this table, the uprights have had about a foot or so cut off the top.

The part of the upright cut off was used to make this homemade brake...

As you can see, there is no limit to what you can come up with.

The uprights would make great heavy duty storage racks, workbenches, or whatever your mind can cook up.

Limit? Take what you think you will use. I have plenty to go around for several people. You pick up from here (22630 - Front Royal, VA). Delivery not available.

Cost? FREE!

The only payment I ask is to go out of your way and do something nice for someone as soon as you get a chance. That will be payment enough, and it will come back to you.

PM for address.

- Kirk

kirkster70 screwed with this post 02-01-2011 at 04:29 PM
Old 01-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #236
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Kirk,

That's a generous offer. I wish I were closer.

I've got lots of channel and angle iron that I received from a project who's manager was sending it to the scrap yard. It's served me well for years.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #237
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thank you, Tim.

I just hate to see it go to waste. I have 35 full 16' sticks of strut and 24 racks to give away.

If I get enough interest, I have the option of getting 70 more pieces of strut and 48 more racks. (8,000 more lbs!) Yes, free.

I would never use that in 20 years. It was free for me so I have no problem sharing the wealth so to speak.

I'm just trying to save it from the dump and get it into people's hands that could put it to good use. It took me 4 hours to load and 4 hours to unload! Whew!

If I don't get much interest, I'll probably let them haul the rest to the dump, as I don't have room to store it all.

- Kirk

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 07:44 PM
Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #238
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Gents, I just got my hands on some more free "scrap" materials that were slated for the dumpster. I just brought another 4,000 lbs of steel home from work.

What I have available: 1 5/8" solid unistrut x 16' in length and heavy duty upright frames constructed of 3/16" C channel. The uprights weigh about 100 lbs. each.

I used the same materials to make my table, cart, metal brake, and bike lift. In the photo of this table, the uprights have had about a foot or so cut off the top.

The part of the upright cut off was used to make this homemade brake...

As you can see, there is no limit to what you can come up with.

The uprights would make great heavy duty storage racks, workbenches, or whatever your mind can cook up.

Limit? Take what you think you will use. I have plenty to go around for several people. You pick up from here (22630 - Front Royal, VA). Delivery not available.

Cost? FREE!

The only payment I ask is to go out of your way and do something nice for someone as soon as you get a chance. That will be payment enough, and it will come back to you.

PM for address.

- Kirk
Awsome, i'll take you up on your offer. I've been meaning to build a new base for my lathe and the uprights should work perfectly
jar944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #239
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

jar944, pm repiled to. Come on up.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #240
Cheddarhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
P/N's / etc requested...

If you would...please list the "purchased content" you've used in making your panniers...

It would be very helpful to knwo where you got your components...and what they are, specifically. (Mfg, P/N, Source , $)

Large Knobs, hinges, and Lock Sets for the AL Panniers, for example.

Thanks!

Very much enjoying this thread. I need pannier racks and a plate / extention for the rear rack for my '03 F650 GS Thumper.
Cheddarhead is offline   Reply With Quote