Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #2446
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
I was able to score about a sheet and a half of 1/4" plate last week from the local salvage yard for 1/5 the price of new. That will work! It sure doesn't look like it, but that's almost 600lbs right there. Come in, gantry.

I'm hoping to start stick building the firebox this week!

kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #2447
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Come in, gantry.
They do come in handy, don't they. Thanks for getting me thinking about mine. Saves my back regularly

How to get a 150 or so pound mower deck off the back of the Explorer

How to roll out the old, and in with the new

What did we do without them?

Still looking to score an electric hoist. I'll start looking again here soon.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #2448
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
They do come in handy, don't they. Thanks for getting me thinking about mine. Saves my back regularly

How to get a 150 or so pound mower deck off the back of the Explorer

How to roll out the old, and in with the new

What did we do without them?

Still looking to score an electric hoist. I'll start looking again here soon.
Yeah, they're handy all right. Hey - look on search tempest dot com. I think I saw a 1 TON Coffing electric chain hoist in OH last week for $200. I think it was OH, anyway.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #2449
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I get my morning work done and it was such a pretty day that I just had to do a little outside bbq work.

I make some standoffs out of the same scrap 3/16" material the frame is made of. The firebox will rest on this.

1/4" plate is cut for the bottom of the firebox.

High-tech cut shop. Just like when I did my bumper. Sawhorses, clamps, one grinder for cutting, one for - well - grinding. What else?

The only real drawback to repurposing materials is the extra work in a few extra weld seams here and there. Beggars can't be choosers. I don't mind the little extra work.

That's good for now. Back to customer builds tomorrow. I may be able to work a bit more on this by the end of the week.

Tractor suitcase weights are temporary. I have something else planned that's less valuable and will work just as well. These are vintage Honda weights that are pretty rare, so they aren't staying on the smoker.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 06:16 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #2450
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Yeah, they're handy all right. Hey - look on search tempest dot com. I think I saw a 1 TON Coffing electric chain hoist in OH last week for $200. I think it was OH, anyway.
Thanks. I did look. There was one in Wooster for $1,200, but that was it.

dunno.....
Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #2451
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Thanks. I did look. There was one in Wooster for $1,200, but that was it.
Yeah, I saw that one, too.

There's a nice 2T Yale in NY for $300...

You just have to keep beating the bushes and have the cash ready. 2 things normally come into play for me...

Either I have the money and no time to get it,

or I have the time and no money. Don't you hate that?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #2452
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Okay, I played hooky from customer jobs yesterday (sorry Ron!)

The allure of the big momma jomma bbq was too much to ignore.

I start the day by making a proper ballast weight to replace the tractor weights. A scrap piece of 1/8" wall rectangular tube from a recent tear-out at work will look pretty nice. End caps made from the same material.

End tabs made from yet more scrap flat bar...

And I fill the tube with 50 lbs of 3/8" washers. Wasteful? Pretty much. But, they were free. I've given away several thousand pounds, and still have several thousand pounds left. They didn't cost me a penny, so wasteful is relative, I suppose. Any local gents need 3/8" or 1/2" hardware? Hit me up.

Each one of these tubs weighs 750 lbs. Yep, they were going to the trash. A buddy brought them to me for free. Your cost if you want some? Free as well.

So yeah, I could have spent $4 for a bag of sand, but this was FREE!

I know where to get 3/8" flat washers if I ever run out. End cap welded on, ballast hung in place. Me likey. BTW, those suitcase weights are 25 lbs a pop, so that was a perfect trade.

Back to the 1/4" plate...

Tank and firebox back plate welded together.

I use an 8lb sledge hammer to get everything square and plumb. CLANGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

My vertical ups aren't the prettiest, but I know they are strong. I was ringing that firebox like a church bell.

Top cut out and resting in place. That's good for now. This bad boy gave me a workout yesterday. I'm still whupped this morning.

Time to clean up the aftermath from yesterday and get crackin' on Ron's panniers...

She's coming along quite nicely!

Until next time.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 03:15 AM
Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #2453
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
I was able to score about a sheet and a half of 1/4" plate last week from the local salvage yard for 1/5 the price of new. That will work! It sure doesn't look like it, but that's almost 600lbs right there. Come in, gantry.

I'm hoping to start stick building the firebox this week!

What in the name of the salvage yard? I've been wanting to find a local place.
jar944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #2454
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Good to see all that grey telecom rack steel being recycled, I scored a bunch myself a few years back when a contractor was going to have to pay to dump an MDF they removed...welds great and it is DEAD straight like a ruler, high quality stuff
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #2455
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
What in the name of the salvage yard? I've been wanting to find a local place.
Zuckerman Metals Inc

221 E 5th St, Front Royal, VA ‎
(540) 635-2105 ()

Not a very big place, but more often than not, they have what I'm looking for.

I like turning in hundreds of pounds of little bitty pieces that even I think are junk () and then using the cashola to shop.

They love it too since they pay 5 cents a lb and then mark it up 1000% at 50 cents a lb. But hey, it's still cheaper than new by a large margin and they are a mile from my house. Pretty hard to beat.

They will also work with you on price. Since I bought so much plate, they knocked it down to 30 cents a lb.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 02:54 AM
Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #2456
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Good to see all that grey telecom rack steel being recycled, I scored a bunch myself a few years back when a contractor was going to have to pay to dump an MDF they removed...welds great and it is DEAD straight like a ruler, high quality stuff
These racks were old UPS battery racks from a data center. They are very heavy at 64 lbs a piece. I think I scored almost 60 of 'em and have given at least half of them away.

I may have 15 or so left if anyone needs any. They do weld very nicely once the powder is ground away. Reuse is the name of the game!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #2457
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Big momma slowly chugging ahead...

Firebox fully welded. Corners dressed up with a grinder. I may feel energetic enough today to start cutting out the door.

Wifey picked up 3 spare pork rib racks and some beeyah yesterday, so bbq 1.0 may override 2.0.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 01:30 PM
Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #2458
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
You just have to keep beating the bushes and have the cash ready.
Yep.

I was for a while, then took a break while house projects took over.

And FWIW - don't know what my local yard pays for steel scrap, but they only charge 25 to 35 cents per pound. Depends on the day, humidity, owner's mood

dunno.....
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #2459
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,014
We have a scrap yard near here that used to be great- would sell me dead dirt bikes dirt cheap (), but now they think everything is almost worth its weight in gold. They won't even give me a break if I'm buying for the school.

One of my favorite things to do still though is spend an hour or two wandering with my camera and take pics of all of the cool old stuff that people throw out. Only difference now is that I can't afford hardly any of it.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #2460
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Scrap prices have really gone up lately. All some guys do full-time is drive around with a trailer and fill it up.

I don't think I can complain too loudly on the prices I'm paying seeing that most scrap I have was absolutely free.

I like browsing through the scrapyard myself. It's never the same and you never know what you may stumble across.

I got some new play toys in the mail a couple weeks back that I haven't tried out yet.

BBQ 1.0 up to speed with 3 racks of St. Louis Cut pork ribs. I've never cooked ribs in my life. Cutting the tips off for the SL Cut was harder than imagined. Mebbe I'll use a sawzall next time.

This shows that BBQ 1.0 isn't nearly as big as it appears to be. Hence the "need" for 2.0. Heheheheh. I really just wanted upper and lower shelves so pork grease can drip into the baked beans. ;) Hmmmm......... I think I can add a pull-out rib rack to this! It's always something.

Hickory preheating on the firebox.

Not all bi-metal thermometers are created equal.

Once I hit 150 internal on the ribs, I will crutch them in foil with some honey, brown sugar, a little butter, and a touch of cayenne pepper. Yum!

This ought to be good!!!!!