Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #2476
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
i've been working on a couple projects the last few weeks. I really need to do some more reading or something because I'll lay down 10 frighteningly ugly beads and then one picture perfect bead. It's like when I go play golf, one hit out of 10 is decent. I guess I should just be happy that I can hit my bad welds with the grinder and make them look better...it's just frustrating though.

I have the same settings and same technique, but something must be different since the results are completely different. When it works, the puddle is clean and has the line of dimes look...when it's bad, the puddle doesnt really form and i end up with balls of metal on top of the material. I'll take some pics and see if anyone can identify my fubar-ness.
Jeff, are you using flux-core or solid wire with argon/CO2?

If you are using solid wire, a slight breeze interrupting your shielding gas could be giving you the problems you describe. Even a fan running in your shop is enough.

Another would be an insufficient ground. Move your clamp as close to the weld as possible w/o burning it up. Wiggle it around so the teeth can bite in.

If using used metal, rust and powder coating in low areas could also be messing you up like you describe.

Your spool of MIG wire whether solid or flux-core could also be the culprit if it hasn't been used in a while. Corrosion on the wire could be a possibility.

And last but not least, if you are using shielding gas, the bottle could be contaminated. I've never had this happen personally, but have read where it does occur from time to time, even though it's pretty rare. If you are getting a one in ten good weld bead, that rules this one out.

Good luck and I hope you get it figured out. Oh, let's see what you're working on!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #2477
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Ditto.

Practice, practice, practice. I wanted to learn to TIG *thin* aluminum. Read a ton, watched a bajillion youtube vids, and read a bunch more. One thing I found in my studies that helped me a lot with the movement (dip/jump) was to get everything set up, and run a bead- with the welder OFF. No juice, no helmet, just your torch and filler rod. dip jump, dip jump, dip jump, dip jump, until I felt comfortable. Turn it on, run a bead, shoot. Looks like crap. Run a few more dry practice runs, turn it back on, try it again.

I still suck, but I think I'm a lot better than I should be AND I wasn't wasting valuable supplies. Heck, you could use a pencil as your torch and practice at your desk.

One other tip- I find that when I don't stress about anything EXCEPT the puddle- my welds are a lot better. Once you know what you want the puddle to look like and what you need to do (speed up, slow down, more or less heat, electrode angle, arc gap) things start looking a lot better.

my .02. Take it for what its worth.
Very good advice!

My biggest "aha" moment with TIG was when I discovered that I could hold the puddle in one spot without falling through for as long as I wanted by modulating the pedal. It gave my filler hand time to get it's act together by letting off the pedal. No need to completely stop the weld as I had done before figuring that one out.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #2478
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,941

You know I *STILL* don't have a TIG welder with a foot pedal, right?

I keep hoping one will turn up near me in my price range. Knowing what my price range is, that ain't going to happen anytime soon!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #2479
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I'm using a brand new roll of solid core wire with argon.

I was working in the garage with the door open, but no fans.

I was using some of your recycled flat bar and welding it to the rack that I bought off ebay. I used a wire brush to remove the paint/powder coat, but I'm sure it wasnt perfectly spotless.

I moved the ground around a couple times to see if it made any difference and i couldnt tell if it did or not.

I followed a previous tip that said to squeeze half trigger before and after the weld to ensure the gas is flowing and keeping the weld free of oxygen.

I'll try do to a better job of prepping to see if it helps...plus close the garage door for a short test weld. Hopefully i can pinpoint the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Jeff, are you using flux-core or solid wire with argon/CO2?

If you are using solid wire, a slight breeze interrupting your shielding gas could be giving you the problems you describe. Even a fan running in your shop is enough.

Another would be an insufficient ground. Move your clamp as close to the weld as possible w/o burning it up. Wiggle it around so the teeth can bite in.

If using used metal, rust and powder coating in low areas could also be messing you up like you describe.

Your spool of MIG wire whether solid or flux-core could also be the culprit if it hasn't been used in a while. Corrosion on the wire could be a possibility.

And last but not least, if you are using shielding gas, the bottle could be contaminated. I've never had this happen personally, but have read where it does occur from time to time, even though it's pretty rare. If you are getting a one in ten good weld bead, that rules this one out.

Good luck and I hope you get it figured out. Oh, let's see what you're working on!
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #2480
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Are you using straight argon or argon/co2 mix?

Quote:
I'm using a brand new roll of solid core wire with argon.

I was working in the garage with the door open, but no fans.

I was using some of your recycled flat bar and welding it to the rack that I bought off ebay. I used a wire brush to remove the paint/powder coat, but I'm sure it wasnt perfectly spotless.

I moved the ground around a couple times to see if it made any difference and i couldnt tell if it did or not.

I followed a previous tip that said to squeeze half trigger before and after the weld to ensure the gas is flowing and keeping the weld free of oxygen.

I'll try do to a better job of prepping to see if it helps...plus close the garage door for a short test weld. Hopefully i can pinpoint the problem.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #2481
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
i think...sometimes

I think it's straight argon, but i dont remember exactly what I asked for when i bought it. It glows blue/green when I'm welding.

I also recently read that I need to may need to use some anti-spatter compound or something to keep the tip cooler and cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Are you using straight argon or argon/co2 mix?

phreakingeek screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 12:16 PM
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #2482
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Look at the label on the bottle. With straight argon on MIG you will have problems just as you describe...

Quote:
I think it's straight argon, but i dont remember exactly what I asked for when i bought it. It glows blue/green when I'm welding.

I also recently read that I need to may need to use some anti-spatter compound or something to keep the tip cooler and cleaner.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #2483
oldNbold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Straight argon is not the right choice for mig. Definitely get a tank of c25 (75/25 mix).
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #2484
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,616
Quote:

Definitely get the proper gas mix for the wire you are using. See the manufacturer's specs and use them as a starting point.

And while you don't want anything blowing your gas shielding away from your arc, keep some fresh air in there.

As for anti-splatter stuff, I bought some, and never used it. If you are maintaining the correct contact tip work distance, you shouldn't have issues. That, and a pair of good Mig pliers (get some Welpers) and you can keep the tip and shield clean.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #2485
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Definitely get the proper gas mix for the wire you are using. See the manufacturer's specs and use them as a starting point.

And while you don't want anything blowing your gas shielding away from your arc, keep some fresh air in there.

As for anti-splatter stuff, I bought some, and never used it. If you are maintaining the correct contact tip work distance, you shouldn't have issues. That, and a pair of good Mig pliers (get some Welpers) and you can keep the tip and shield clean.
But... the nozzle gel is invaluable when using a cheap mig with flux-core wire.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #2486
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Anti spatter spray is well worth using no matter what MIG set or process you might be using. Makes removal of the inevitable spatter far far easier, and no real downside to using it, as its pretty cheap and can be applied in seconds.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #2487
MotoChris521
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
So.. I've been looking at wire feed welders. Are they worth a dam or should I keep saving for a mig welder.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #2488
dorkpunch
Oops...

MIG meaning Metal Inert Gas? Wire feed and MIG are basically the same thing- a welder that feeds the filler rod through the handle in the form of wire. If you mean having a gas shielded wire feed instead of a flux core wire feed, it depends on what you are going to do with it. The gas shielding makes for a MUCH cleaner weld, although in the smaller welders (110v) you can weld thicker metals with flux core wire. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. If you get a machine capable of gas, you can still run flux core wire without the gas.

-Charles De Mar.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #2489
johns
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
If you get a machine capable of gas, you can still run flux core wire without the gas.
Only if you can change the polarity of the machine.
johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #2490
dorkpunch
Oops...

Huh. Never heard of that, and just spent a fair bit of time reading about it. Sounds like another version of "what oil should I use in my bike" topic...

Cant say for sure but I think most wire feeds have wires inside on the back of the torch cable/hose that can be detached and switched if needed...

Might have to do some experimenting and see what happens!

-Charles De Mar.