Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #241
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
If you would...please list the "purchased content" you've used in making your panniers...

It would be very helpful to knwo where you got your components...and what they are, specifically. (Mfg, P/N, Source , $)

Large Knobs, hinges, and Lock Sets for the AL Panniers, for example.

Thanks!

Very much enjoying this thread. I need pannier racks and a plate / extention for the rear rack for my '03 F650 GS Thumper.
.080", 5052 aluminum sheet ordered from an ebay vendor. I used 3) pieces 2' x 4'. I think that was around $80.

Knobs also from ebay. I don't remember my search criteria. Threaded knobs maybe? My username on ebay is the same as here, so you may be able to wade through my feedback to see where I got everything.

Latches from ebay. Technically, it is called a rotary draw latch, but I believe "butterfly latch" is what finally led me to ones with ears for padlocks. McMaster Carr and Grainger have keyed rotary latches, but they are spendy at $18 ea. My latches were about $3 ea. ATA case or guitar case latch also had good search results.

Flange seal gasket is 5/16" thick x 3/4" wide, self-adhesive foam rubber from Ace hardware. A 12' roll will run you about $3.
I used roll on bedliner on my al. bags, and that was $25 or so.

Altogether, I think I was around $120 for the entire al. setup.

My steel setup on the DR was less than $50 because of the free steel, but I spent a lot on spray paint, and I paid for DOM tubing.

Happy hunting!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 02-01-2011 at 05:31 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM   #242
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
jar944, pm repiled to. Come on up.
Less progress than I hoped, but all the uprights I picked up have been cut to size.

Thanks again for the steel.

jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #243
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Looking good! I'd like to see the finished results, too.

You are more than welcome for the steel. I'm glad to see it put to use.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #244
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Laugh

Just found this surfing around ADVrider. Man really got the juices flowing. Ths is my passion if I could do it for a living but it ain't happening in my town. Not and make a living and raise three kids anyway. Good for you!! Have fun! Welding and fabricating are one of those special skills. If you're like me you probably get a great sense of accomplishment from it
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #245
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks, Bob!

It's something I've wanted to do for years and years. I'm glad I got into it.

My 17 y.o. nephew was here over the weekend, and we spent two days making a very nice bird feeder out of scrap. I don't know who had more fun; me or him! I completely forgot to take a pic of it.

He wants to get a truck as his first vehicle, and he has already sketched up plans for a headache rack. That will be a fun project that we will do together very soon.

My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #246
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
If I was single and didn't have a family to support I probably would have stayed in that field
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #247
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Darn, wish I was closer. I need to build a welding table much like yours and a build/jig table to build a couple of race bikes. Those uprights would really do the trick.

I dig through our scrap piles all I can but we seldom have larger pieces of tube or bar. Most of our scrap is in the form of little curls and chips.

Great work by the way. I have been cutting metal for a good while but my welding skills are barely above the "sticking two pieces of metal together" level.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #248
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
Darn, wish I was closer. I need to build a welding table much like yours and a build/jig table to build a couple of race bikes. Those uprights would really do the trick.

I dig through our scrap piles all I can but we seldom have larger pieces of tube or bar. Most of our scrap is in the form of little curls and chips.

Great work by the way. I have been cutting metal for a good while but my welding skills are barely above the "sticking two pieces of metal together" level.
Well, if you decide to make the trip, I now have 72 upright racks and well over 100 sticks of 16' long strut available. Take as much as you need. I'll be using and giving this steel away for the next 15 years.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #249
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Outstanding thread.

I don't weld, would love to learn, but haven't the time. (I have a so much fricken $$ tied up in woodworking equipment that I don't have time for either.)

Regardless of that, I found myself sucked into this thread and had to read it all the way through. I'll be checking back to see how you are doing.

Do you ever get to ride?
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #250
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBiker View Post
Outstanding thread.

I don't weld, would love to learn, but haven't the time. (I have a so much fricken $$ tied up in woodworking equipment that I don't have time for either.)

Regardless of that, I found myself sucked into this thread and had to read it all the way through. I'll be checking back to see how you are doing.

Do you ever get to ride?
Thanks, Glen!

I get my riding in going to work and back. 106 miles roundtrip all taken on twisty 2-lane backroads. I visit my folks often, so there's another 60 mile roundtrip ride.

I'm currently working on a topbox for my KLR. After that I need to get started on a wagon to pull behind my ATV for yard work and campfire wood gathering. Spring is almost here and the wagon will come in handy. I'm going to use some of the uprights to build a 5' wide bridge over the creek in my back yard.

I guess I need to take some more pics soon.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #251
WhiskeySmith
Lucky to be alive

Oddometer: 40
Inspirational

I have one word for you kirkster70...inspirational!
WhiskeySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #252
IdrinkYourMilkshake
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Kirk, without a doubt the most interesting thread I've read on this forum! No question.
IdYM
Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #253
wolfhoundaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
enjoying the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdrinkYourMilkshake View Post
Kirk, without a doubt the most interesting thread I've read on this forum! No question.
IdYM
Same here. Way to go.
wolfhoundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #254
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

With spring getting ready to break and all the time I've been devoting to playing with scooters, I don't know if the top box will ever get finished or not!

Must...focus...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #255
LFD Kansas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
You have done some fantastic work. I also just got the bug about 2 years ago.
A couple of things I have learned:

I also have the JD2, I mounted it on a rectangular base in my shop. I should have made it reciever style so I could remove/rotate the bender more easily. It would come in handy for bending full lengths of tube. (I built a roll cage for my rock crawler) It was a pain rotating full lengths of tube inside my shop.

One of the most useful tools I have purchased was a metal cutting circular saw I got on clearance at TSC for 40$. I would highly recomend one, my chop saw sees much less use and making long straight cuts in sheet metal is a breeze. I do not yet have a plasma, but I haven't rally found a need since I bought the circular saw.

A great fabrication resource is pirate4x4.com. Just don't ask questions until you research for your answer. Those guys can be very helpful, but only after you try and help yourself. Also Miller, Hobart, and lincoln have great websites and there are some forums there.

I also learned that my garage time went up significantly which made my girl upset, don't forget to throw in a project for her.
LFD Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote