Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #271
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
The main platform of the bridge is all welded up and ready to be moved into position...

I use a 2" rigging strap and a shackle and start dragging. As the end comes out of the garage, I place full lengths of 3/4" rigid conduit under the steel to act as rollers. Rigging 101. It's the same way we move industrial switchgear around.

I give her a little boost at the end with a floor jack to keep from chipping the concrete.

Now I'm at the ditch that I'm going to span with the bridge.

With the magic of the internet, my ATV is now on the other side, and my tow strap just grew 30 feet.

Yep. That will work. It took less than an hour to move. Last year I moved a 12' x 20' building (full of junk!) with a 4runner and 2) come alongs and kept my neighbors entertained for days. This was a bit easier.

I don't think my conduit is straight anymore.

I took my wire brush, cleaned up all the welds, and then took a hand file and removed all the burrs on the strut. Then I sprayed galvanizing compound on all bare steel.

I'll use a bottle jack and a shovel tomorrow to level it out. I will also weld up handrails that will bolt to the sides.

Total time invested : 20 hours. Total cost : about $40 in filler wire and shielding gas. I couldn't imagine how much that steel would have cost if I had to go out and buy it. If anyone needs some, the offer still stands. I still have about 180 pieces of strut and 66 uprights. It was free for me, so it will be free for you. The bridge took 19 pieces of strut and 6 uprights to make.

I'm glad to have my garage space back!

Until next time...
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #272
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
I wish I had access to that much scrap steel. I'd be a mad man! I have an AC/DC/TIG/Stick setup with bandsaw, etc. I just don't have the metal.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #273
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
+1 on access to scrap steel. We can't even scrounge at the dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
I wish I had access to that much scrap steel. I'd be a mad man! I have an AC/DC/TIG/Stick setup with bandsaw, etc. I just don't have the metal.
Kirk,

Nice work on the bridge.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #274
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,052
Hey Kirkster,

your pics don't show mate....
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #275
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 455
Hmmmm ... have you removed your pix from photobucket ? ... the links have no where to reference, so no can view the pix
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #276
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Sorry guys... somehow I managed to nuke the photos associated with this thread. EDIT - PICS HAVE BEEN FIXED!!!!!

I was cleaning up some files on photobucket from bikes I've bought/sold, and I got a little delete happy and wiped the welding photos clean. DOH!

My low-buck welding is still alive and well. Buying a welder is a very worthwhile investment if you consider yourself to be handy. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one 5-10 years ago. This thing has paid for itself many times now, and the original V-strom sacrifice needed to buy the welder has been replaced about 4 times already in a little over a year. I never even knew it was gone.

My refrigerator has never been so full of free beer from doing favors for neighbors. Life truly is good. Making things out of scrap is awesome. I really enjoy it, especially useful things. I haven't even tried artistic things, even though I want to. My nephew has also been enjoying the welder. He just got his first truck and has been making cool things for it. He's going to be out-of-this-world by time he's my age. I love it!

In case there is still interest after screwing up, here are some recent photos of a recent project. Maybe a Moderator can clean up my mess and nuke all the pages with dead links. Sorry again about that. I'm an electrician / rookie welder; not a computer genius. My apologies.

I recently picked up a way cool 21 year old Honda 5518 compact tractor, and parts aren't exactly easy to come by. I bought a PTO driven snowblower for it and needed some rear wheel weights to counterbalance the snowblower for proper traction. After coming up empty-handed looking for wheel weights in my area, I decided to make a ballast box. It will double as a utility box come springtime for yard tools, clippings, transplants, etc.

I used scrap 1 1/2" x 3/16" flatbar, scrap 1" square tube x 1/8" from the Gator rack and KLR pannier racks, and I also scored some scrap 1" x 1/8" expanded metal from my local recycling center about a mile from my house. All told, I have about $45 in materials including hinges, 2 cans of Krylon enamel spraypaint, expanded metal; and about a day and a half of playing with my Miller 252 MIG. As I have said before, this could easily be pulled off with a Miller 135. I just had the cash burning a hole in my pocket from the V-Strom sale, so I bought as big as I could go. It's more than I need, but that's not a bad thing. It's better to have more than enough than not enough.

I used .035 solid wire with a 75/25% Argon/CO2 mix @ 25 cfm with settings dialed in for 1/8" mild steel. I used this setting for everything, but did drop the amperage and wire feed down a bit on the hinges and the chain for the gate to keep from burning through.

I didn't really do a "how-to" on this, because I kind of let this thread go. I felt like a dumb ass for nuking the pics.

Above, fab complete, but in need of fine tuning with the grinder.

Above, corners or rear gate tabs rounded, some outer welds smoothed with a 40 grit wheel, and 2 coats of Rusteoleum enamel satin black. I used existing bolts to fab mounts to. If I ever install a rear lift/3 pt hitch, I'll have to rethink the mounts.

I want to make a swingarm stand for a bike I just got, so I'll try to do a proper "how-to" on that one if there's enough interest afer my major eff up.

Until then...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 08:42 PM
Old 11-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #277
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot View Post
nice work now i have a welder see what you started
NICE!!!! Post up! Let's see what you're doing! Feel free to post to this thread.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #278
SuziRider
addicted to riding

Oddometer: 7
Kirkster70, I really like this thread. Sucks about the pics but so what.
SuziRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #279
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks! I was just thinking that I probably have most of the pics somewhere on an SD card. I'll have to do some digging and try to repair the damage.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #280
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Thanks for posting the pics.

What kind of Miller did you buy - I can't make out the model. MillerMatic 212?

Looking to buy a smaller MIG machine to learn a bit better on than the TIG Lincoln 275 I originally bought. I'm thinking a MillerMatic 180
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #281
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636

Looking to buy a smaller MIG machine to learn a bit better on than the TIG Lincoln 275 I originally bought. I'm thinking a MillerMatic 180
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #282
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post

Why a MIG over a TIG? Especially considering if you already have the TIG. Unless you're a production weldor and need the speed that the MIG offers, the TIG gives a lot more control over the HAZ than the MIG will and the process is a lot more flexible as far material goes.

Just asking, if you already have the Lincoln why the push for MIG?
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #283
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post

What kind of Miller did you buy - I can't make out the model. MillerMatic 212?

Sure thing!

It's a 252 with a 30A spoolgun. I made the dual cylinder rack and also made the torch and cable holder. Miller wanted $300 for that, and it was one of my first projects all made from scrap and spraypaint.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #284
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

My first welder was a Syncrowave 180 TIG. It was a nice machine, but after getting the 252 MIG and spoolgun, the TIG started collecting dust. I use the MIG torch for mild steel, and have the spoolgun set up for aluminum.

There are pros/cons to each welding process.

For me, the pros for the MIG process is less critical joint fitup needed compared to TIG, and much easier mockup by myself without needing a helper to position parts. Sometimes a particular joint can't be clamped.

I've gotten very proficient with the spoolgun to where I simply didn't need the TIG anymore, so it was sold shortly after getting the MIG.

If I ever do decide on a TIG machine in the future, it will be an inverter based machine that won't cause a brown out when I strike an arc.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 AM   #285
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

dentvet, check your pms...

Come on up and grab some free metal.