Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70
Do it. You won't regret it!
Just checked some local trade schools. 700 bucks for 10 classes (3hrs per class) of basic welding. Another 700 for MIG and another 700 for TIG, again 10 classes each.

SHit's expensive to learn. Maybe I'll get some friends to show me a few things first.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,161
Great work, and nicely engineered stuff too!

I purchased a cheap HF flux core wire welder a few months ago and am learning some basics on my own. There are plenty of online resources to help. I figure if I can get OK at the flux core welding I can really be good at mig/tig welding.

I have a couple projects under my belt, and have learned a lot!

From this:

To this:

Next time I will use simple angle iron instead of cheaping out and buying the stuff at Home Depot, though it was 1/3 the cost. I might redo this anyhow.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by patiodadio
Nice set up ! You look like a pro rather than a rookie. I am a retired welder and wish I had a set up like yours. Keep up the great work
Thank you very much! I appreciate the kind words, especially from a pro!

I have quite a few more pics to upload to show. Maybe I'll get a chance tonight.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #19
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12
Just checked some local trade schools. 700 bucks for 10 classes (3hrs per class) of basic welding. Another 700 for MIG and another 700 for TIG, again 10 classes each.

SHit's expensive to learn. Maybe I'll get some friends to show me a few things first.
I think my class was below $500, (4 years ago, mind you) and was three, three hour classes each week for 12 weeks. I wanted to learn TIG, but they told me I had to learn stick first like stick was "101". Two totally different processes, but I figured okay, I'll learn as much as I can.

Honestly, my teacher may be a fantastic welder, but a teacher he wasn't. I learned he could smoke 2 packs in 3 hours by the roll up door. The text books were great, and there were exercises in the back pages. I just started doing them one by one and started catching on. About three weeks in, I may as well have been teaching the class. Everyone was coming to me asking "how did you do that?" Then I would go to their machine, help them set the amperage for the thickness, and then help them with the hand motion for the particular joint. It was kind of a joke because what we were learning had little to do with the teacher, so we didn't even know if we were doing it correctly.

At the end of the classes, I asked the teacher if he was also teaching TIG, and when he said yes, I told him I wouldn't be back.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to pick up a nice used machine and go for it. There is tons of info. out there, plenty of welding forums, and your friends that weld can help you along. If you find it's not for you, if you bought decent equipment, you should be able to get all of your money back.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 07:59 AM
Old 10-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #20
Bobthebiker
not normal

Oddometer: 493
I have to admit, those realy are some clean looking welds.

The more I look at welding, the more I want to go buy a cheap stick welder to get started with and sort of build up to the expensive stuff eventually. building stuff from scraps and using exceedingly high heat to do it are ALL that is manly.

error 404: common sense not found.
Bobthebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #21
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Great work, and nicely engineered stuff too!

I purchased a cheap HF flux core wire welder a few months ago and am learning some basics on my own. There are plenty of online resources to help. I figure if I can get OK at the flux core welding I can really be good at mig/tig welding.

I have a couple projects under my belt, and have learned a lot!

From this:

To this:

Next time I will use simple angle iron instead of cheaping out and buying the stuff at Home Depot, though it was 1/3 the cost. I might redo this anyhow.

Jim

Thanks, Jim!

Looks like you are doing some nice modifications yourself! Once you put a bottle on that welder, you will be surprised what a difference it makes. The beads can be almost as pretty as TIG.

Flux core definately is good to have as well. MIG and TIG aren't the greatest outside in a breeze that blows away the sheilding gas. That's when stick and flux core can't be beat. Plus, stick and flux core need less surface prep and will burn through rust.

Nice work!

- Kirk
Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthebiker
I have to admit, those realy are some clean looking welds.

The more I look at welding, the more I want to go buy a cheap stick welder to get started with and sort of build up to the expensive stuff eventually. building stuff from scraps and using exceedingly high heat to do it are ALL that is manly.
I have two friends that both have quite the assortment of welders and shop tools. The each have a Millermatic 140 MIG, and they both say they use it more than anything in their arsenal. You can get a new one for around $800.

The only reason I went for the 252 was because I had the cash from the bike, and I wanted to do aluminum. I've read that the 120V machines can run a spoolgun for aluminum, but a 240V machine will handle aluminum much better because it takes tremendous energy to break through the oxide layer on aluminum. The 30A spoolgun on the 252 has a 100% duty cycle @ 200A, which basically means you will get tired before it does.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 02:11 PM
Old 10-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #23
motoretro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Just a reminder.....either invest in a welding fumes respirator for under your hood or a Collector system if you're going to get serious about this. FWIW

Motoretro

motoretro screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 07:52 PM
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #24
larry0071
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I like the KLR panniers. Very nice work. Don't worry about the classes, the welder and time will learn you up right and proper. When I learned to weld about 6 or 7 years ago, I would weld flat plate in butt weld config and lap seam config and then put one piece of the two in a vice and blast it with a 3lb mini sledge hammer to see if the joint would bust apart of the material would bend outside of the weld. In the beginning there were pieces of mettle flying in all directions from what appeared to be "pretty" welds, after some time and reading online as well as a few union welder buddies stopping by to LOL at me.... the broken welds stopped.

Now I can fix just about everything but a broken heart with my shop. It's a great feeling, isn't it? I have a 79 F-250 setting on air bags with a custom 4 link that I built. My welds help up to a 1050 HP engine while sled pulling for 3 years before the truck got retired. Half the truck was hand built in my garage. I was proud of my junk! Still am.
Visit my Amsoil site here:
http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx
larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
Tasy's BIGJIM
CornerGrinner

Oddometer: 458
Laugh You are doing a great job...

Make a Canvas Cover for over that welder. Place a foam Ear-Plug over the wire. Wire Roll side of the Feeder Tube. Stops dust and shit from getting into your gear and Weld. Resist Grinding Welds Flat. Do it again. ?

Vertical Uppers- If you can turn it all over and Lay it flat great. If you can't? Practise on waste welding "Christmas Trees" that’s starting at the Bottom. Across, and up. Across and up. Across... so on. Wide at the base.
and so on. Please don't be offended. You are doing a great job. BIGJim.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #26
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro
Just reminder.....either invest in a welding fumes respirator for under your hood or a Collector if you're going to be serious about this. FWIW

Motoretro
Yes sir, already in planning stages. I have a nice 24" explosion proof fan left over from my painting days from a redneck spraybooth.

It will be modified for an updraft smoke eater to exit out a garage window.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #27
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071
I like the KLR panniers. Very nice work. Don't worry about the classes, the welder and time will learn you up right and proper. When I learned to weld about 6 or 7 years ago, I would weld flat plate in butt weld config and lap seam config and then put one piece of the two in a vice and blast it with a 3lb mini sledge hammer to see if the joint would bust apart of the material would bend outside of the weld. In the beginning there were pieces of mettle flying in all directions from what appeared to be "pretty" welds, after some time and reading online as well as a few union welder buddies stopping by to LOL at me.... the broken welds stopped.

Now I can fix just about everything but a broken heart with my shop. It's a great feeling, isn't it? I have a 79 F-250 setting on air bags with a custom 4 link that I built. My welds help up to a 1050 HP engine while sled pulling for 3 years before the truck got retired. Half the truck was hand built in my garage. I was proud of my junk! Still am.
Thank you very much!

I've done some destructive testing on some of my practice pieces. I even cut some welds in half to see how much penetration I was getting.

Sounds like you are making some amazing things! 1050 HP? Yikes! I'd say you must have done some good welding on that one!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 10-04-2010 at 06:11 PM
Old 10-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #28
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasy's BIGJIM
Make a Canvas Cover for over that welder. Place a foam Ear-Plug over the wire. Wire Roll side of the Feeder Tube. Stops dust and shit from getting into your gear and Weld. Resist Grinding Welds Flat. Do it again. ?

Vertical Uppers- If you can turn it all over and Lay it flat great. If you can't? Practise on waste welding "Christmas Trees" that’s starting at the Bottom. Across, and up. Across and up. Across... so on. Wide at the base.
and so on. Please don't be offended. You are doing a great job. BIGJim.
Thanks for the tips. No offense taken whatsoever. I'm always willing to hear from guys who have already been where I want to go.

I have seen a product you can buy to put on the filler wire, but a foam ear plug is an even better idea! Plus, I have a cabinet full of them!

I know that grinding a weld takes a lot of strength out of it. I ground down the welds on my pannier racks where the bags would be touching. The Gator rack welds were only ground down to shape the mounting tabs.

I still have my textbook from the stick class I took, but the book covers all welding, so I still go back through it for the exercises and for proper techniques for vertical, horizontal, pushing, pulling, etc, and have been learning a lot.

Please fell free to critique me at any time. It's the only way we get better!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #29
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70
I think my class was below $500, (6 years ago, mind you) and was three, three hour classes each week for 12 weeks. I wanted to learn TIG, but they told me I had to learn stick first like stick was "101". Two totally different processes, but I figured okay, I'll learn as much as I can.

Honestly, my teacher may be a fantastic welder, but a teacher he wasn't. I learned he could smoke 2 packs in 3 hours by the roll up door. The text books were great, and there were exercises in the back pages. I just started doing them one by one and started catching on. About three weeks in, I may as well have been teaching the class. Everyone was coming to me asking "how did you do that?" Then I would go to their machine, help them set the amperage for the thickness, and then help them with the hand motion for the particular joint. It was kind of a joke because what we were learning had little to do with the teacher, so we didn't even know if we were doing it correctly.

At the end of the classes, I asked the teacher if he was also teaching TIG, and when he said yes, I told him I wouldn't be back.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to pick up a nice used machine and go for it. There is tons of info. out there, plenty of welding forums, and your friends that weld can help you along. If you find it's not for you, if you bought decent equipment, you should be able to get all of your money back.

Thanks for that info... I think I will just get a machine, some scrap stuff, do some reading and research, and have at it. I have some friends that are back yd welders and a few professionals as well, that I can get advice from.

I always wanted to try it but not enough to actually attempt to learn. My dad and uncles owned auto garages and dealerships while I was growing up and I'm 21 yr helicopter mechanic. So I do have some abilities to start with.

Thanks for helping me turn the corner and twisting my rubber arm.

Cheers,

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #30
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12
Thanks for that info... I think I will just get a machine, some scrap stuff, do some reading and research, and have at it. I have some friends that are back yd welders and a few professionals as well, that I can get advice from.

I always wanted to try it but not enough to actually attempt to learn. My dad and uncles owned auto garages and dealerships while I was growing up and I'm 21 yr helicopter mechanic. So I do have some abilities to start with.

Thanks for helping me turn the corner and twisting my rubber arm.

Cheers,

You know it! Post up your progress when you get going! You definately have the mechanical skills if you are a heli mechanic. Go for it!