Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #316
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I need something a bit more portable. For example, I need to do some welding on some stairs at one of my commercial property. I also feel I can learn to be a better welder using the MIG than the TIG by leaving some of the process up to the machine.

Lastly, the TIG machine I have is across the country, and I'll be unable to get it for at least 8 months. I did spend a decent amount on the machine ( Lincoln Precision TIG 275 with water cooler and foot controls ).

That Lincoln is a very nice machine and with the water cooling feature you could run a big duty cycle. The reason I asked is that I found that I had a lot more control over the weld with TIG than I did with MIG. When I was in school I would rate my level of comfort/control with the various processes as follows (most to least): GTAW, OAW, GMAW, SMAW. SMAW and GMAW (stick and MIG) were close but I just found the whole long electrode stick to be awkward. Oxyacetylene and TIG were almost the same in application and I found them very comfortable. In a production situation though the speed of MIG is a big advantage, especially when welding the same material over and over and not having to touch the setting a lot.

I guess for me it is nice to have both. I have a Lincoln 140 MIG machine and a Thermal Arc 185 TIG. The MIG is very convenient but I enjoy the process of using the TIG. Unfortunately we are moving into a townhouse that only has one 120 volt electrical outlet in the garage and if I wanted to use the TIG I would have to run off the dryer outlet. That's one nice thing about the inverter machines is they only take 40 amps, but put 180 or so at the electrode.

I have to agree, a MIG machine with some flux core wire would be a good choice for portability.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #317
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I drove my dually over to kirk's house hoping to score some scraps to start a welding table. Our host was most generous with his pile and I loaded up.

I have a chinese tig machine but I dusted off the old AC buzzbox to cobble this together. I figure it would be way faster than the tig plus I could weld out in the yard where the wind would blow the fumes away instead of the tig argon

I just tried to copy kirks table, I need a place to mount my vise and a grinder maybe. I can't show the welds because they are butt-ugly.

Thanks Kirk!
You're quite welcome, Dave. I hate seeing something go to waste. I'm glad you could make something useful out of scrap. Nice work! If you run out, just let me know.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #318
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
took my side shrouds off my bmw 650 dakar and made some radiator gaurds
Attached Images

kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #319
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
took my side shrouds off my bmw 650 dakar and made some radiator gaurds
heres the other side, i even put the badge on it to look factory.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #320
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
heres the other side, i even put the badge on it to look factory.
a pic of the whole bike so far.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #321
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,435
Great work Kubiak!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #322
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvonbaden View Post
great work kubiak!

jim
thank you!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #323
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Kubiak, nice work as ususal!! You have a good eye for design.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #324
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Kubiak, nice work as ususal!! You have a good eye for design.
thanks kirkster, that took a lot for me to hack the stock panels in half without knowing if it would work lol! after i cut them i thought i better make something to protect the radiators since they were out in the open.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #325
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

My 5518 tractor I recently purchased is becoming a project in itself. I thought I was 100% ready to blow snow, but while mounting and installing new tires, I discovered a crack in the frame. Sweet. Buyer beware and all of that. Serves me right for not looking closer. Oh well, I'll learn eventually.

A year and a half ago, I would not have had the confidence to tackle this. Not so anymore. I know my way around an engine well enough, and now my welding skills, I feel, are decent enough to tackle this one...

The thing I don't understand is that whomever made this repair also knew their way around an engine and had to remove it from the frame just like I did to make the repairs they made. What they didn't do is use a heavy enough material for the repair. A very thin angle was bolted and then lightly tacked in place, essentially making a hinge. When picking up the snowblower with the lift arms, the front end would droop 2". Not good. The welds they made were full of porosity and were cracked. There was about 3" of original steel holding the front end together. If not for that and the configuration of the motor mounts, the engine would have already been lying in the grass.

I start by pulling the engine...

Now I have a better look at what I'm up against...

Above - what was hiding under the plates. Even as a rookie, I know this is a pretty poor job. The tractor must have had a pretty hard life of plowing at full speed.

Above is the plate. Pretty thin stuff. About 1/16". I can't believe someone would go through the trouble to pull the engine and then use this? I don't get it. AND the oil pan of the engine was resting on one of the bolts. Enough vibration would have made a hole and worse. I'm glad I caught this now.

Almost ready for repairs. I need to get in closer with a die grinder. This is as close as I could get with a 4" grinder.

More to follow as repairs are made. I've been reading my books and doing research on the proper repair procedure so I can do this right the first time.

Time to knock off for the day, get cleaned up and eat some turkey and go into a triptophan coma on the sofa.

Until then...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 11-25-2011 at 12:58 PM
Old 11-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #326
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #327
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824

Way to jump in there Kirk!

I can't tell exactly from the pictures, but it looks like possibly the frame over the axle might have cracked because of missing ties spanning the gap front to back under the axle.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #328
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
More importantly, why are there still chicken strips on those tires?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #329
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Way to jump in there Kirk!

I can't tell exactly from the pictures, but it looks like possibly the frame over the axle might have cracked because of missing ties spanning the gap front to back under the axle.

Based on this, doesn't look like there's a brace missing

hey kirkster, you got the Owner's manual?

Parts fiche if you haven't found it already.

Dorzok screwed with this post 11-25-2011 at 10:51 PM
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #330
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Yes, in the parts diagram there's #8 & #9 that I don't see in any of the pictures that have been posted thus far. They would definitely make the frame assembly stronger.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote