Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #391
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
It's a mild steel/zinc coated plumbing pipe of some sort I picked up from my local hardware store. It's a slightly narrower diameter than the sidestand itself, but it is actually thicker than the material the sidestand is made from.

And yes I know about welding galvanised/zinc coated metal. In addition to filing most of it off the majority of the outside coating (the inside was left alone, as I figured I'd removed the part that posed the most risk) because of the flux vapours involved in gasless welding, I've taken to holding my breath when doing a weld to make 100% sure I don't inhale any of the fumes, which I'm sure is an added bonus when a galvanised/zinc coating is involved too. I've learned I can hold my breath for a surprisingly long time when there is a big seam to do.
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #392
chapman2012
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Alright kirk here are the pictures of the bird feeder. Idk if they are in order or what but they are all there and a picture of the fire pit in use :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
chapman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #393
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapman2012 View Post
Alright kirk here are the pictures of the bird feeder. Idk if they are in order or what but they are all there and a picture of the fire pit in use :)

tapatalk really CAN download pics to this site.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #394
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapman2012 View Post

Whoops! You're going to have to try that again.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #395
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Still plugging away at the Pope Mobile...

L door frame complete. Made from 3/4" x 1/8" angle.

After completing the R door frame, I start on the lower panel / snowblower chute rotation rod support.

I use 3/4" angle for the top and bottom, and I use 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle where the rod passes through the support. I sleeve the hole with an electrical fitting - a 1/2" chase nipple, locknut, & bushing. I also build the R lower panel support in the same fashion.

I use some 2" automotive painter's tape and a straight edge and start laying out a line where the sheetmetal will meet the hood.

I use some automotive painter's masking paper and start tracing the line on the tape.

I use the edge of a dark crayon to rub the edges where the panel will stop. This will be a cut mark when I remove the pattern. This is a bit tedious, but the more accurate this step is, the less work to do later. Paper is easier to cut than metal.

Pattern trimmed up and transferred to a scrap piece of 18 gauge steel from a de-commissioned UPS unit at work. I make the hole around the hood 1/2" larger to accomodate a rubber edge gasket.

I make all cuts with the plasma and shape and dress up the edges with a grinder.

More photos incoming... I don't want to time out.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #396
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I clamp the piece in place and check for rough fit. Not bad at all. I make some marks where things need a little more trimming with the grinder. I also mark the back side for the first bend.

The panel goes into the low-buck bender. I purposely overbend a bit and then use a body hammer to fine tune the panel on the frame.

Once I'm happy with the upper bend, I mark the lower bend and repeat the process. The panel has been on and off the tractor at least a dozen times to get to this stage.

I bought some DZUS female weld-on tabs from an ebay vendor. I had to trim the top row back a bit to put them where I wanted them. I plumb down from the outer corners to the lower tabs. They are welded front and back and ground flush on the front.

I reclamp the panel, lay out the holes in the metal where I need to drill, then remove the panel. I use a Uni-bit (step drill) to bevel the holes for the male half of the DZUS fastener for it to lay flush. Then I reattach the panel with the fasteners. I'm going to plug weld the male half instead of riveting them. Then I will mask off just the button head and paint the whole panel.

At this point, I lay out for the lower window. My gasket isn't here yet, so I also need to double check the specs on corner radii (radiuses? damfino. duh!) before I cut. This is a good stopping point for now. More later this week if all goes well...
Old 12-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #397
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
kirkster, idea for you.

create long posts w/ pics in a word processor like Word. take all the time you want editing and making it exactly perfect. then copy and paste it into a new post. that way you can save it in word in case you get called away to dinner phone or parts delivery.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #398
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,264
Awesome!!
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #399
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
create long posts w/ pics in a word processor like Word. take all the time you want editing and making it exactly perfect. then copy and paste it into a new post. that way you can save it in word in case you get called away to dinner phone or parts delivery.
i'd actually suggest not using word... which will add all sorts of invisible word-specific markup to your posts. you may not see it, but if you view someone's post who used word on tapatalk, it frequently bleeds through.

notepad is usually the simplest to use.

really enjoying the build project, exciting to see the beast shape up into something awesome!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #400
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks guys!

I'm actually very, very stupid when it comes to computers. I can post pics and find you anything you're looking for on CL or eBay, but when it comes to actual programs, you may as well be speaking french. Thanks for the tips, though!

Swiss cheese pope mobile rolling right along...

I use a scroll saw with an 18 TPI blade and cut out the window opening. I didn't want to chance warping the panel with the plasma at this point. Plus, one false move with the plasma and it's back to square one. I don't know if I can plug weld the outer male DZUS fasteners or not, but I decide to give it a go.

Well what do you know? It worked! Sure beats drilling more holes and pop riveting. I'm not even going to grind that. The left side has been hit with the wire brush and I think it looks just fine. I just learned a new trick. I've never used these fasteners before, but they are cake to install.

True to form, I remove the panel for a good spraybombing with Krylon satin black enamel. This stuff dries fast and holds up extremely well. Anymore, I normally buy half a dozen cans at a time.

What's that I hear? Yes, it's the mail lady's delivery vehicle. It's needed a muffler for about 3 years and it sounds like a pissed off tuner car. I go around front and my ebay prize is here! An old Toyota Tercel hatch wiper assy. $40 shipped. Not bad. I test it, and it works. I fab a tab from 1 1/2" x 3/16" scrap flat bar and tack it in place for more testing. I'm sure I will have to move it.

I put the wiper pivot on a diet courtesy of the bandsaw and grinder. Much better!

I also butcher the motor's bracketry and then clamp it in place to test the sweep of the arm.

Full left...

Full right. This will work! I just measured the total dead space and will split the difference by breaking off the tab and moving everything right. (from driver's seat) I will also cut and remove about 2" from the wiper arm and weld that back together.

Not too shabby at all. I searched for a good while for a suitable wiper when I decided that the shape of a typical hatchback arm would be a decent choice. $40 for a quality made Japanese part of about the same vintage of the tractor trumps a new Chinese made $200 assy. that is of questionable quality. Anything I would have bought would need to be hacked up for it to work, so cutting up a $40 part doesn't feel nearly as bad.

More to come in a day or so. Until then...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 05:41 PM
Old 12-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #401
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,930
You are rapidly becoming my new hero!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #402
TrainedChimp
Consistently wrong

Oddometer: 175
Seems like it is time to remove "Rookie wanna-be" from the title of this thread.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #403
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainedChimp View Post
Seems like it is time to remove "Rookie wanna-be" from the title of this thread.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #404
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Ha Ha! Thanks guys! My head is so fat now that I can barely get through the doorway. I've managed to use the the welder just about every single week since I bought it, so I guess I've gotten a little better. I still have a lot to learn, though. What I like most about welding is fabbing something from an idea in your head and then seeing it in the flesh. Pretty close to instant gratification.

Hey Jim, your garage is looking awesome! You'll have to celebrate with another BMW to wrench on! Good job!!! Don't forget about all that strut I have so you can fab up some nice hanging shelves. I have solid 16 footers x 1 5/8"
Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #405
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,069
holy crap man how much snow do you have in VA?

Or do I suspect that it's just too much fun to build things?

Looking good. Do you miss a TIG? Funny we went in exactly opposite directions, sold my MIG to get a better TIG, now I want to have a MIG. I guess my work is mainly aluminum and small precise welds so I do like the TIG, but wish I had both. I like those Miller dual voltage machines.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote