Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #406
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
holy crap man how much snow do you have in VA?

Or do I suspect that it's just too much fun to build things?

Looking good. Do you miss a TIG? Funny we went in exactly opposite directions, sold my MIG to get a better TIG, now I want to have a MIG. I guess my work is mainly aluminum and small precise welds so I do like the TIG, but wish I had both. I like those Miller dual voltage machines.
We'll probably never have another flake since I'm building this! Ha Ha!

I've been pushing several driveways in my neighborhood for the last 3 or 4 years with my ATV. I do it for fun. People try to pay me, but I only accept fresh baked cookies and coffee. So, I sold the ATV this year purposely to buy the tractor/snowblower. I've pushed for 4 hours straight before (on the ATV) and when I came home to warm up, I couldn't even feel my legs. That's when the idea for the cab came to mind, so I just started on it. Sure will be nice to stay warm and dry.

I don't miss the TIG at all. I do pretty well on aluminum with the spoolgun on the MIG. If I ever did decide to buy a TIG in the future, it would probably be an inverter based AC/DC machine like a Dynasty. They're pretty pricey. In my ghetto way of buying things, I need to sell some garage equity to buy more. I don't have anything I want to sell bad enough to make that happen.Maybe later on I'll feel the need for one, but I don't currently. One addiction at a time, I guess.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #407
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

More from today...

I make my own bracket out of 1" x 1/8" scrap flat bar. I use the vise and a hammer for the bends.

Then I bend a 90 in another piece of flatbar to attach to what's left of the factory mount.

All welded up. 1/4"-20 bolts welded on the inside for mounting studs.

Now I start butchering the arm. I first had to weld the little piece in place to keep the spring from losing tension. Then I cut 'er up.

Say hello to shorty. I also ended up taking an additional inch out of the other end of the arm to get it just where I wanted it.

My nephew drops by and I get some photos of his project all painted up. Harley baffle / chimney! I think it's awesome!

Chimney unscrews for filling with bird seed. This thing is HUGE! I bet it will hold 20 lbs easy.

The mail lady brings me some more goodies today - edge gasket for the hood...

...and a pair of storm door handles. Still chugging away a little at a time. Until next time...
Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #408
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
kirkster

what was the result of your fire pit gift? did i miss some reading? they like it as much as we like reading your posts?
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #409
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Ha Ha! Thanks guys! My head is so fat now that I can barely get through the doorway. I've managed to use the the welder just about every single week since I bought it, so I guess I've gotten a little better. I still have a lot to learn, though. What I like most about welding is fabbing something from an idea in your head and then seeing it in the flesh. Pretty close to instant gratification.

Hey Jim, your garage is looking awesome! You'll have to celebrate with another BMW to wrench on! Good job!!! Don't forget about all that strut I have so you can fab up some nice hanging shelves. I have solid 16 footers x 1 5/8"
Thanks man! I was actually thinking about the extra metal you have the other day. Once in the house, I have a few ideas for it, and I now have a way to transport and store it as well.

Thanks,

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #410
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
what was the result of your fire pit gift? did i miss some reading? they like it as much as we like reading your posts?
It was a huge hit. She loved it! My nephew has some pics of it in action, but is having issues posting pics. I think he's going to open a hosting account and try again.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #411
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Thanks man! I was actually thinking about the extra metal you have the other day. Once in the house, I have a few ideas for it, and I now have a way to transport and store it as well.

Thanks,

Jim
Yep, just let me know. You're welcome to as much as you need.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #412
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
I've got to ask, what are you going to do with the "Speed holes", which i am still having a hard time understanding the creation of in the first place.

A side thought i had was if there are any in towards the cabin side of things, then as long as you don't have a fuel/exhaust leaks then you may be able to put a couple of lightweight fans (with on/off switches of course) in to pull air in to keep the cabin warm if required.

Otherwise I'd have suggested tacking in thin plate behind the holes, and putting either a plate to make up the size of the missing metal and put in bog around the filler piece, or just a craptonne of bog to level things up, sand it smooth, then paint 'er black .
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #413
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
I've got to ask, what are you going to do with the "Speed holes", which i am still having a hard time understanding the creation of in the first place.

A side thought i had was if there are any in towards the cabin side of things, then as long as you don't have a fuel/exhaust leaks then you may be able to put a couple of lightweight fans (with on/off switches of course) in to pull air in to keep the cabin warm if required.

Otherwise I'd have suggested tacking in thin plate behind the holes, and putting either a plate to make up the size of the missing metal and put in bog around the filler piece, or just a craptonne of bog to level things up, sand it smooth, then paint 'er black .
If I read his intent, he will be able to remove the unit by splitting the frame. The "speed holes" allow the pannel to be easily removed before splitting the frame for frame removal.

Jim
Old 12-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #414
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
pic of the tank on the bike

I had wanted to try this and even bought an extra stock tank. But then many people told me the stock is coated inside and could or should not be welded. Not know anything about metal or welding, I figured they easily know more then I do and did not want to waste a stock tank.

How did you do it?

And I have CRS. (can't remember shit)...Did I buy some home made aluminum panniers off of you a few years back?

sorry for the hi jack. the OP is doing some great work, I only wish the original images were still posted! He is describing something I would like to see but the images have been moved or deleted!

Edit...And this is a perfect example. How did this come out? all the images are gone.
Quote:
There is a storm water ditch that separates my neighbor's and my rear yards. We had a small bridge across it for many years that a bad storm destroyed last year.
I've been wanting to build a replacement, but never had the means until now. I break out the "scrap" metal once again and go to work. I decide to undertake my largest project to date.

3) uprights welded end-to-end per side for a total of 6 uprights. There's 400 lbs. right there.

I cut two spacers to keep the strut spacing at 1 3/16". I use a tape measure frequently to make sure I'm not gaining on either side.

I have a LONG way to go. The final platform dimensions are 5' wide x 13' 6" long. Talk about a repetitive job. I guess professional welders deal with this day in and day out. I got all this complete in a day, so I should have the platform 100% tomorrow. Maybe I'll have enough time to start on the handrail tomorrow. I probably just jinxed myself.
I'm guessing it will probably weigh 800 lbs or so when complete. I plan on making handrails as well. Moving it to it's final destination will be a project in itself, but I like figuring things out. I'll drag it around back with my ATV and use jacks and come alongs to drop it in place.
More to follow in days to come...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694

100mpg screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 08:03 AM
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #415
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainedChimp View Post
What were all those holes for? Was that someone's solution to overheating?
Quote:
Exactly!!!! On a liquid-cooled engine with a fan pulling air through a radiator no less!!!
That is the funniest thing I have heard all year.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #416
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
If I read his intent, he will be able to remove the unit by splitting the frame. The "speed holes" allow the pannel to be easily removed before splitting the frame for frame removal.

Jim
I think the speed holes he's referring to are the holes that the previous numb nut drilled in the hood, not the DZUS fasteners.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #417
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post

Well, the hood is ABS, not steel. Steel would probably be easier to repair.

How I plan on fixing the numb nuts holes is by applying mesh reinforcement tape (like the mesh drywall tape) on the back side, using a hole saw in the drillpress without a pilot bit, and attempting to cut slugs out of the same thickness ABS sheet to fill the holes. Then I will use black ABS cement, which I have already purchased just for the hood, on both sides of the slug. Sand, body glaze, catalyzed white sealer, followed by Honda Red base, decals, and clear. I used to do custom paint for a living, and I've been wanting to dust off the gear so I don't forget my hard learned skills. I'll have her looking brand new by summer.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #418
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

I had wanted to try this and even bought an extra stock tank. But then many people told me the stock is coated inside and could or should not be welded. Not know anything about metal or welding, I figured they easily know more then I do and did not want to waste a stock tank.

How did you do it?

And I have CRS. (can't remember shit)...Did I buy some home made aluminum panniers off of you a few years back?

sorry for the hi jack. the OP is doing some great work, I only wish the original images were still posted! He is describing something I would like to see but the images have been moved or deleted!

Edit...And this is a perfect example. How did this come out? all the images are gone.
Shoot, hijack all you want. This is everyone's thread.

I misplaced the SD card all my pics were on, and I nuked everything on photobucket by accident while doing some housecleaning. Still looking...
Old 12-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #419
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Shoot, hijack all you want. This is everyone's thread.

I misplaced the SD card all my pics were on, and I nuked everything on photobucket by accident while doing some housecleaning. Still looking...
I caught a couple of pics later on in this thread. The bridge looks great! Going by the amount of work you did on other projects, I thought the bridge would end up looking like this!

I have wanted to weld (or play around) for a while. I bought a buzz box that I thought my little Honda I2000 generator would be able to run, but it kicks into over load right away. I rent an APT so the I need to be able to power it myself.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #420
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
I think the speed holes he's referring to are the holes that the previous numb nut drilled in the hood, not the DZUS fasteners.
Of course. I have always called the Dzues fasteners speed fasteners, so that is what came to mind first!

Jim