Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #421
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
I caught a couple of pics later on in this thread. The bridge looks great! Going by the amount of work you did on other projects, I thought the bridge would end up looking like this!

I have wanted to weld (or play around) for a while. I bought a buzz box that I thought my little Honda I2000 generator would be able to run, but it kicks into over load right away. I rent an APT so the I need to be able to power it myself.

Yeah, I'd have to weld up a crane first.

You anywhere near VA?

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 04:40 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #422
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Of course. I have always called the Dzues fasteners speed fasteners, so that is what came to mind first!

Jim
You need to retake the Sally Struthers speed reading course.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #423
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oh yeah - 100mpg, Some of the holes inside the cab may stay put if they actually provide some heat. If not, they will get closed up.

This tractor is liquid cooled, so I'm going to try and get all fancy and tap into the bypass coolant line and install a heater core with a fan somewhere in the cab near the windshield to not only provide heat, but to act as a defroster. Pretty ambitious, but everything starts with an idea...
Old 12-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #424
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

More piccys...

I weld a piece of 1" square tube to the door framing for the door latch. It needed to be that thick for the internals to work properly. I'll cap the top and bottom when I do final prep for paint.

I fab a strike plate out of 1" flat bar.

The front and rear frame supports are pretty long and I don't want to chance them bending as I start adding sheet metal and windows. I fab up and install some gussets out of 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar.

Same for the front. It's amazing how much rigidity these couple pieces gave the frame. If I can find one glaring fault in my whole project, this is it...that support should be inside the frame. I should have come forward another inch and it would have been great. Too late now. I'm too far along.

Door pulls made from 5/16" U-bolts.

I roll the tractor outside to blow off all welding and grinding dust and to give the floor a good sweeping. Frame mock up 100%. (I think)

More in a bit. Time for dinner!!!!!!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 03:29 PM
Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #425
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Frame inspected one last time. Gusset welds dressed up, front square tube supports cut at an angle and capped to try to make them a little better looking. And you guessed it - spraybomb time! 52F here today. not optimum, but warm enough for paint.

And the frame goes back together one last time. Hopefully, I won't have to tear it back down again until grass mowing season. The swiss pope gets closer to done day by day. Individual panels will be painted as they are completed. I forgot to re-weigh the frame halves. Wiper assy, gussets, lower panel supports probably add 10 lbs. or so. I'm guessing 60 lbs+/- for the entire frame.

As luck would have it, the gasket I'm waiting on for the windows is coming from a factory that is currently in winter shutdown. No biggie. I still have plenty of sheet metal to cut and I can start on the electrical for the wiper, strobe, and future corner spot lights. Yeah, I know. It won't snow for 10 years. Or maybe the Inca's were right and the world will screetch to a stop this year. All my fault.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 04:12 PM
Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #426
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

Yeah, I'd have to weld up a crane first.

You anywhere near VA?
Weld up a crane? you must have a 3 day weekend this weekend! Get to work!

Well, do you consider Long Island near VA? Im about 50 miles east of NYC.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #427
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Oh yeah - 100mpg, Some of the holes inside the cab may stay put if they actually provide some heat. If not, they will get closed up.

This tractor is liquid cooled, so I'm going to try and get all fancy and tap into the bypass coolant line and install a heater core with a fan somewhere in the cab near the windshield to not only provide heat, but to act as a defroster. Pretty ambitious, but everything starts with an idea...
Great idea. That would work and a good 12V fan (or two) from a computer would be enough to blow some hot air around.

Quote:

Frame inspected one last time. Gusset welds dressed up, front square tube supports cut at an angle and capped to try to make them a little better looking. And you guessed it - spraybomb time! 52F here today. not optimum, but warm enough for paint.
Black? It's not a Harley! I was thinking Honda Red! But in any color, It is looking real good. People will think it is a factory option!

I have a few projects lined up, "adjusting" a set of Gold Wing Mufflers, and adapting the trailer hitch on my Pickup two two receivers for a motorcycle rack, a multipurpose trailer (sleeping cooking, motorcycle and my astronomy stuff, all at the same time!)

The buzz box has an amp adjustment but the indicator is broken. I bought it used and It was damaged in shipping, so the seller just offered to refund money. I couldn't refuse! I will have to take a look at that again and see if I can figure it out.

100mpg screwed with this post 12-30-2011 at 08:13 PM
Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #428
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:

You need a Venturi Y pipe.

They sell these for boat heater systems, essentially it is a Y with a restriction, mounted on the return side.

The coolant circulating through the system then "sucks" the coolant through the radiator, which generates flow but leaves everythign connected. A simple petcock valve allows you to control the amount of flow and therefore heat.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #429
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Great idea. That would work and a good 12V fan (or two) from a computer would be enough to blow some hot air around.

Black? It's not a Harley! I was thinking Honda Red! But in any color, It is looking real good. People will think it is a factory option!

I have a few projects lined up, "adjusting" a set of Gold Wing Mufflers, and adapting the trailer hitch on my Pickup two two receivers for a motorcycle rack, a multipurpose trailer (sleeping cooking, motorcycle and my astronomy stuff, all at the same time!)

The buzz box has an amp adjustment but the indicator is broken. I bought it used and It was damaged in shipping, so the seller just offered to refund money. I couldn't refuse! I will have to take a look at that again and see if I can figure it out.
I was thinking if you were near, you could come by and use my welder if you wanted.

I didn't get too fancy with the cab paint. Black is what I had on hand and I didn't feel like running out. Plus, it's just going to be used as a snow cab so I thought that maybe the black would help keep it warm inside by absorbing all the sun's rays. Plus...everything else I make is spraybombed that color so I just went for it. There are literally hundreds of shades of red, and there is no way I would find a Honda match in a spraycan. I think it should look pretty decent when all wrapped up. Softcabs are black, and they don't look terrible.

Isn't it funny how the ideas start piling up once you can weld? I already have another for the tractor...converting the mid-mount mower deck to a front mount utilizing the quick hitch. It would turn a 3 hour deck/snowblower swap into a 10 minute one.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:39 AM   #430
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
You need a Venturi Y pipe.

They sell these for boat heater systems, essentially it is a Y with a restriction, mounted on the return side.

The coolant circulating through the system then "sucks" the coolant through the radiator, which generates flow but leaves everythign connected. A simple petcock valve allows you to control the amount of flow and therefore heat.
Excellent information!!!! Thanks!!! I will look into the parts needed.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:41 AM   #431
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
I was thinking if you were near, you could come by and use my welder if you wanted.
Thank for the offer!

Quote:
I didn't get too fancy with the cab paint. Black is what I had on hand and I didn't feel like running out. Plus, it's just going to be used as a snow cab so I thought that maybe the black would help keep it warm inside by absorbing all the sun's rays. Plus...everything else I make is spraybombed that color so I just went for it. There are literally hundreds of shades of red, and there is no way I would find a Honda match in a spraycan. I think it should look pretty decent when all wrapped up. Softcabs are black, and they don't look terrible.
I know, just busting your chops. They stopped making/selling LACQUER spray cans but for some reason walmarts still have black and white, and the clear to go with it! So everything i paint is either black or white also. I rebuilt this motorcycle trailer.
Before

Not bad for spray cans...

Quote:
Isn't it funny how the ideas start piling up once you can weld? I already have another for the tractor...converting the mid-mount mower deck to a front mount utilizing the quick hitch. It would turn a 3 hour deck/snowblower swap into a 10 minute one.
Yep. I have an idea pop into my head and it just cannot happen. Oh well!
You're going to end up building a new tractor ya know. Heh, If you end up in the tractor cab manufacturing business, I have the name...

Kirksters Kabs!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #432
100mpg
This sentance intent

You got me motivated!

I'm all fired up about welding again so I will learn as much as possible before I try working the power problem out.

I found this guy in Youtube (it is becoming my Center for cheap higher learning!) and a video is 100X more helpful then reading a book. I have CRS when I read but if I see it, I will never forget it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/weldingt...?feature=watch
Old 12-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #433
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Thank for the offer!

I know, just busting your chops. They stopped making/selling LACQUER spray cans but for some reason walmarts still have black and white, and the clear to go with it! So everything i paint is either black or white also. I rebuilt this motorcycle trailer.
Before

Not bad for spray cans...

Yep. I have an idea pop into my head and it just cannot happen. Oh well!
You're going to end up building a new tractor ya know. Heh, If you end up in the tractor cab manufacturing business, I have the name...

Kirksters Kabs!
Nice Wing! You did an excellent job on the trailer! BTW, I was at Autozone today picking up some more paint. They had all colors of lacquer spraypaint. Another source for high-dollar, exact factory color match (in spraycans or quarts) is color-rite. They have a website. I've used them several times on past customer's repairs and they are so close you can't tell a difference. The only colors that aren't completely exact are pearls, which never are anyway no matter the manufacturer. Two different sprayguns can make 2 different colors spraying out of the same can on pearls.

Wanna' hear something funny? As a goof I was going to airbrush in Curtis' font - kirkster cab! ...or maybe even Krylon Kowboy. Nah, probably not that, but the kirkster cab is a distinct possibility! Hah! So it's pretty funny you mention that. I was going to save that as the cherry on top.

And ditto on youtube. I've learned lots on yt by just typing in "how to". There must be 30 videos on tractor cabs. That's what got me excited about building one. - that and watching snowblower videos of people freezing their butts off!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #434
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Nice Wing! You did an excellent job on the trailer!
Thanks! Only about 50 hours of prepaint sanding and chipping with some body work, then another 10 of wet sanding. I was going to take it to some car show, but figured I dont want to show it off.
Ok, I'm impressed with how it came out and show it off as much as possible. . Even sprayed a name and model number into the paint job with the LAST can of red lacquer I could find! I had a print shop make up some stencils and sprayed the red over the white, sanded it with 2000 and cleared it.
I call it Wingebago and Model SC20. That how many spray cans I used, including primer, paint and clear coat.

Quote:
BTW, I was at Autozone today picking up some more paint. They had all colors of lacquer spraypaint. Another source for high-dollar, exact factory color match (in spraycans or quarts) is color-rite. They have a website. I've used them several times on past customer's repairs and they are so close you can't tell a difference. The only colors that aren't completely exact are pearls, which never are anyway no matter the manufacturer. Two different sprayguns can make 2 different colors spraying out of the same can on pearls.
They don't have lacquer anywhere on the shelves on long island except old stock, at least that I found. Mostly for patio furniture, which comes in Foliage green...
I did see the color rite web site and was going to paint it to match the GW. Well, that was before I saw the prices. 30 bucks for a spray can. I suddenly became fond of white!

Quote:

Wanna' hear something funny? As a goof I was going to airbrush in Curtis' font - kirkster cab! ...or maybe even Krylon Kowboy. Nah, probably not that, but the kirkster cab is a distinct possibility! Hah! So it's pretty funny you mention that. I was going to save that as the cherry on top.
The Krylon kowboy is funny. But I would paint Kirkster Kab® just in case <---Hey! That looks good even on the internet!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #435
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Very clever! SC20 is pretty funny! I did see the lettering in the previous pics, but couldn't make it out. Very nice indeed! I think the white rims look nice. I've always thought CBRs, VFRs, and Monsters look very nice with white rims.

More pics incoming...