Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #781
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Thats bad? or are you being modest, because I see worse welds on a $50,000 80 TON trailer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Alright, don't laugh too loud...

It's not as horrendous as I thought it would be. I had my brief moments of glory.

I had a few tungsten contaminations from either touching the tungsten to the top box, or touching the tungsten with the filler wire.

I also had a couple near blow outs where I had to stop and let things cool down for a while.

I'm hoping uniformity will come with time. I just need lots of practice with the TIG. I also need an adjustable stool so I can get in a more comfortable position to work the pedal better. I need to practice on my arc length, travel speed, hand position, and on how much filler I am feeding with each dip.

Something I learned while reading last night - I unwittingly introduced contamination into my joints by plasma cutting and then by using a flap wheel to dress the edges that had been previously used on mild steel. I need to get a dedicated flap wheel made for aluminum just like I have a dedicated aluminum brush. I never thought of that before. Live and learn.

All in all, I'm happy with the results so far. Learning a new skill is awesome. I just need to practice my rear end off.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #782
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,373
Looks good to me. Can you grind it a bit, or is it bast to kust let it be? Either way it should come out as good as all your projects!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #783
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Looks fine for someone new to TIG, but worth increasing the amperage a little, and maybe slowing travel speed a little.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #784
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Thats bad? or are you being modest, because I see worse welds on a $50,000 80 TON trailer!

Thanks!

It's a bit hot/cold and lumpy, but I'm happy for just learning.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #785
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Looks good to me. Can you grind it a bit, or is it bast to kust let it be? Either way it should come out as good as all your projects!

Jim
Thanks, Jim!

Yep, beauty is just a grinder away!

I already dressed it up with a flap wheel, but need to go back over a few low spots. Hopefully, if I stick with it, I can turn one out that needs no grinding at all.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #786
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Looks fine for someone new to TIG, but worth increasing the amperage a little, and maybe slowing travel speed a little.
Thanks!

Yeah, I was having a hard time seeing what I was doing. I was in an awkward position with the table height trying to use the foot pedal, so some was done on the table, and some was done on a bucket on the floor. Plus, I had just come off a 12hr. night shift, and was draggin' azz a bit. I was so excited to be TIGing that I was rushing a bit and not doing as well as I could have with a full day's sleep and a clear mind.

I think I'm also going to adjust the frequency and balance controls a bit more for outside corners.

It's all a bit overwhelmig at first, but I'm starting to figure things out slowly.

Thanks again for the advice!!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #787
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Thanks!

It's all a bit overwhelmig at first
I see what you did there...

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #788
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
I see what you did there...
Totally unintentional, but good catch!!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #789
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,307
If I had a TIG I think I'd live in the garage.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #790
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
If I had a TIG I think I'd live in the garage.
you have a garage?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #791
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,262
Nice job as your first tig project. I'm a total rookie too but I found comfort is key. Feeling what the metal is doing and also consistency. I'm the last one to be giving tig advice but keep practicing and it'll come.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #792
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
It's not that bad.. Mine is worse:

Too thick filler (but I didn't have anything else in 5356), unable to crank up the amps more (tungsten balling up), and being too afraid of blowing holes.

The worst thing about TIG-welding is that at some point of time you can finally put down an 'almost perfect weld', then you don't use the TIG for a couple of months, and you are back at square one being capable of 'reasonable welds' only until the hours behind the torch build up again.

The same is true for stick welding, but not many people try to make beautiful welds with stick.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #793
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Nice job as your first tig project. I'm a total rookie too but I found comfort is key. Feeling what the metal is doing and also consistency. I'm the last one to be giving tig advice but keep practicing and it'll come.
Thanks, man!

I've been reading your threads, and you are progressing RAPIDLY! Looks like you've really been tooling up as well!

You can give me advice anytime. Your welds are looking extremely nice to me.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #794
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post
It's not that bad.. Mine is worse:

Too thick filler (but I didn't have anything else in 5356), unable to crank up the amps more (tungsten balling up), and being too afraid of blowing holes.

The worst thing about TIG-welding is that at some point of time you can finally put down an 'almost perfect weld', then you don't use the TIG for a couple of months, and you are back at square one being capable of 'reasonable welds' only until the hours behind the torch build up again.

The same is true for stick welding, but not many people try to make beautiful welds with stick.
Yours looks to have a lot more consistency than mine does, that's for sure!

Did you wire brush the weld before taking the pic? I was reading that 5356 leaves black sooty residue due to the magnesium content.

I can completely understand what you are saying about not using the TIG regularly to stay good at it. I have a couple other aluminum projects I'd like to do. One would be a nice tongue box for my utility trailer for tie down straps, lug wrench, jack, etc, etc. How I got better at MIG was to do something every single week. Maybe I need to take the same approach with the TIG.

Your work looks nice. Keep posting up as you progress.

This is my 14 pound pencil holder from the community college stick course I took in '06. Made from 1/4" plate. Heheheheh! I love overkill.

I think I was using 6013, but can't remember.

Spatter, spatter! If this fell on my foot, I'd have to go to the hospital.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 01:34 AM
Old 08-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #795
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, I was having a hard time seeing what I was doing. I was in an awkward position with the table height trying to use the foot pedal, so some was done on the table, and some was done on a bucket on the floor.
You may also consider a hand remote if you find that you are often welding in positions that the foot pedal is not ideal. The remote attaches to your torch handle and adjusts amperage in the same manner as a pedal. I've never used one, and they are by no means inexpensive. I have also heard that they can be a pain to get used to. Just another option to consider as you continue your relationship with your tig torch.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rols/wired.php

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote