User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #826
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Thanks, DaBit!

Shoot, you're laying down some nice work yourself!!! That thin stuff you're welding can be very tricky. Looks like you know what you're doing to me!

My nephew starts mocking up where the mounts need to be. Holes cut in the 16ga for lighting...

3 coats of roll-on bedliner later, and it's ready to mount...

He's waiting on white LED reverse lights to fill the inner holes. I had some 6 conductor t-stat wire in the building to feed the lights. LED has little draw, so it should be just fine. We were able to use a fishtape and pull the wire through the inner fender to splice to the tail light's wiring.

These are the RUN lights. Puppies are BRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told him he should have drop down sunglasses for people behind him when he hits the brakes!

Darn nice job for an 18 y.o.!!!! He did it all himself. I would only offer advice when asked.

I think he said he had around $140 in the whole setup and a similar aftermarket headache rack was over $2,000!!!!

I'm quite pround of my nephew. He's on his way to becoming one heck of a fabricator.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #827
chapman2012
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
strut-scrap
16 gauge flat-scrap
inner braces-scrap
expanded metal-$20
red lights-$30
white lights- $70
duplicolor bed armor paint-$38

so all together i have about $158 in this and the only ones i could find were WAY to expensive for me so why not build it if you have the chance?
chapman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #828
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Sweet Rack! I think it came out great, much nicer than some of the commercial ones I see around here. Keep it up!

Wish I had an uncle with a setup like that!
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #829
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I'm quite pround of my nephew. He's on his way to becoming one heck of a fabricator.
You should! That's nice work, especially for an 18yo. Those often start something, find out it costs sweat and blood, and then leave it.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #830
chapman2012
Adventurer

Laugh

I am very lucky! And thank you. Another pic will be up when I get reverse lights and new tool box on. I was thinking about buying a ranch hand with lights already on it and that was way to expensive. But I always had the thought of building one since I've owned my truck and I though it would be a good project before I leave for school and it was.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #831
chapman2012
Adventurer

I know I'm 18 and all but I can't figure out how to post a picture..... =(
Old 09-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #832
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Looking good!

It's pretty bad when an old fart has to load piccys for a young guy!

It does make me feel useful, so it's not all bad.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #833
johns
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Awesome work. I've just started taking up mig welding after wanting to do that for years. Two problems: never trusted my eyes (they take some time accomodating from light to dark) and I haven't got the cash available to buy decent stuff. First problem is solved with an auto dimming helmet (9-13 shade). Second is at the moment solved through a friend who has an own business and got a big Kempi mig welder.

For now (after two hours getting some basic instructions from him and working with a hand held mask) I still suck, but I'm really looking into getting a small mig welder. Three choices now: first get a stick/mma welder while saving up for a larger mig. Or a cheap mig. Or a slightly more expensive stick/mma welder with dc tig option.

Or just wait about a year and spend a few hundred more :/.
johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #834
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks!

Just buy what you can afford and go for it! Try to buy a quality, name brand, used machine. You get more value for your money, and it will be easier to resell when you decide to upgrade to a bigger machine.

I agree 100% on an auto-dimming hood. You can see everything you are doing. Plus, you don't lose your position when you tip your head for the hood to come down. Another advantage is using the same hood to grind and plasma / torch cut by selecting a different shade on the hood's controls. These hoods are well worth the extra dough in my opinion and take some of the frustration out of learning.

Post up some pics when you get rolling! Welding is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
Awesome work. I've just started taking up mig welding after wanting to do that for years. Two problems: never trusted my eyes (they take some time accomodating from light to dark) and I haven't got the cash available to buy decent stuff. First problem is solved with an auto dimming helmet (9-13 shade). Second is at the moment solved through a friend who has an own business and got a big Kempi mig welder.

For now (after two hours getting some basic instructions from him and working with a hand held mask) I still suck, but I'm really looking into getting a small mig welder. Three choices now: first get a stick/mma welder while saving up for a larger mig. Or a cheap mig. Or a slightly more expensive stick/mma welder with dc tig option.

Or just wait about a year and spend a few hundred more :/.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #835
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Top box complete and installed, so I start on the bash plate.

The customer wants "ears" on left and right sides for added wind and rain protection for his feet. I think this is a pretty novel idea. The hard part will be making it functional while remaining as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

Like I always do, I begin with a paper pattern to make a template. I use automotive masking paper and a dark crayon to get the job done.

After cutting out the pattern, I use a Sharpie to transfer the shape to 3/16", 5052 aluminum sourced from an ebay vendor. I'm still small time, so it hurts less to buy like this in small quantities.

If the pattern looks off-center, it's because the KLR's bashplate is off-center on the bottom. It's wider to the right by enough to look odd.

I use my plasma to freehand some cuts. My freehanding skills leave much to be desired. Good thing I went outside the lines. I use a dedicated (for aluminum) flapwheel to get the final shape. I don't want to contaminate the aluminum with a wheel I used on mild steel - hence the need for a dedicated wheel.

I put the plate through the homemade brake and do some segment bends. I do very slight bends every 3/8" or so. I just go by feel and keep checking against the OEM bashplate to match the contour.

This bash plate is already 200% better than the one I made for my KLR as a complete and total noob. To make it even better, I think about how to recess the mounting hardware, which I didn't do to mine.

After laying out my centers, I use a 7/8" holesaw to get started. I have an idea that I think will work. More on that later.

Lower bash plate mounted in place temporarily. High-tech mock-up devices tie-wired to rest on the footpegs.

I use some thin cardboard to make a template for the next piece. I keep trimming with scissors until I'm happy with the contour. Cardboard cuts easier than metal, and with a good template, you end up not wasting as much material.

Piece cut out with the plasma, and edges dressed with the flapper. Back to the brake I go. Once again, I make gentle bends 3/8" or so apart. This material is harder to bend than I though it would be.

I keep tweaking the shape until I'm happy with the fit-up. More in a bit.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #836
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

After the above shot, I went back to the brake for some more bend. I see a homemade press brake in my future.

I plug in the TIG, and set it to the above parameters. I've never TIGged anything this thick before. I have the Dynasty wide open at 200 amps. I use a #7 gas cup. I could have used a #8. The cup orifice size is based on sixteenths. 1/2"? - #8. 7/16"? - that would be a #7.

Not the best pic with the lighting, but you can just make out where I made 3 very solid tacks with no filler. I was lying on my back with the pedal between my knees, holding the torch in my opposite hand. I think I need a harmonica and some cymbals now.

I'm very pleased with the fit-up.

I check the cardboard pattern for fit on the right, and it will work great. I simply flip the pattern over and get ready for the next plasma cut...

If all goes well, I may have more to see tonight. Until then!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 04:32 PM
Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #837
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,367
Why did you decide to make the skid plate so short (front to back)?

Sounds like you're maybe fabbing this for a pavement-only rider, but leaving the back of the sump uncovered would be a vulnerability for an off-road rider like me.

EDIT: Oh, and I know it's early, but consider adding a doohickey adjustment hole on the L side.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #838
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Hmmm...good point. I will probably do a butt weld on the end.

Yep, doohickey adjustment notch will be made as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Why did you decide to make the skid plate so short (front to back)?

Sounds like you're maybe fabbing this for a pavement-only rider, but leaving the back of the sump uncovered would be a vulnerability for an off-road rider like me.

EDIT: Oh, and I know it's early, but consider adding a doohickey adjustment hole on the L side.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #839
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I remove the mega bashplate from the bike and do an inner fillet and butt weld. Now I can bend the sides some more without breaking the outer tack welds. The thicker material (I was doing .080") allows greater puddle control. I'm gaining more and more confidence with the TIG as I go.

Outer tacks are ground smooth, and I replace the bash plate to check for any warping issues. There are none. I go back and forth on both sides verifying that both bends and lengths are the same. I measure to the boot tip and also match up where the sides are in relation to the lower tank shrouds. Once all inner welds are complete, I'm going to attempt to make some nice quality outer welds that don't need any attention from the grinder.

More craft time. Fancy circle template in use.

Now that I have something to tape to, I get a good look at things. I will rethink this cut after I extend the underneath...

I leave enough room for foot movement, and also stay higher than the lowest point of the footpeg for cornering clearance. I will also add a small gusset here once complete.

More fancy circle template useage. That's all for today. I'm whupped.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 04:32 PM
Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #840
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,172

I figure in about 2 or 3 hundred years, scholars will look back on this thread and proclaim Kirkster70 as the Da Vinci of our generation. You sir, are an artist!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote