Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 AM   #871
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
No. It's not structural and won't be carrying anything heavy, so I ground an angle on each end so the weld had a valley to lie in.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #872
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Just a thought, but down the road if you do another you may want to stab a couple inside sleeves (bung, what ever you want to name them) into the part by the weld area, you can weld with more heat then a butting them together and right now that weld area is your weakest link, vibration and use over time may work the area to cracking. Then again, maybe it will be fine ? I know normally with thin tubing I would turn a sleeve to press hard into one end and press light into the other prior to welding. Tight on one end so it doesn't shove the sleeve deep into one side-keeps it even. Just a thought. Looks real nice I have to say
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #873
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Just a thought, but down the road if you do another you may want to stab a couple inside sleeves (bung, what ever you want to name them) into the part by the weld area, you can weld with more heat then a butting them together and right now that weld area is your weakest link, vibration and use over time may work the area to cracking. Then again, maybe it will be fine ? I know normally with thin tubing I would turn a sleeve to press hard into one end and press light into the other prior to welding. Tight on one end so it doesn't shove the sleeve deep into one side-keeps it even. Just a thought. Looks real nice I have to say
Thanks!

I'll have to see what I can come up with where the O.D. matches the tube's I.D. Then I could cut some inserts and do some plug welds and a butt weld.

I'm still tooling up the garage and plan to be fully tooled in about 3 years. A nice lathe is on that list. Then I can turn some inserts. I Just got back from a backbreaking 13 hour roadtrip with rain both ways and people doing 20 mph under the posted speed the whole way. ARGHHH! But it was worth it. I'll post piccys of the new garage toy tomorrow once I figure how to unload it.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #874
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I couldn't resist. Here's today's haul...

Practically new 52" foot shear with front arms, back gauge, and spare cutting blade. The diamond plate on the step doesn't even have any wear on the paint.

Seller and his Dad were super nice and even loaded the shear with his Kubota. He even gave it a good dousing with some WD-40 since I was heading home in the rain with no tarp. I always manage to meet super nice people with my crazy ebay / CL finds. The miserable trip on a windy backroad in the rain was worth it.

From what I can find online, it weighs 1,000 - 1,200 lbs. I may cobble something together with my MIG where I can chainfall it and then just drive the truck out.

Above is the top box rack all complete and painted.

The mounts are small pieces of DOM tube with a 7/16" nut welded in the underside.

It will mount to a lid this size after drilling 4 holes in the lid. Wait until you see what the owner plans on putting in the rack. You will want to move out of the way when you see him coming.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #875
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,307
Yay, foot shear!

It's always fun holding stuff and trying to get your foot up high enough without falling over.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #876
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Yay, foot shear!

It's always fun holding stuff and trying to get your foot up high enough without falling over.
Precisely what the front arms are for! (They are unbolted and lying in the truck bed)

I found a shear in Richmond, VA a few weeks back for a good price, but the back gauge and front arms were AWOL. I almost bought it, but I'm getting slightly smarter as I go. If it's not exactly what I'm looking for, I pass. I had been looking for a year. Another month or two won't kill me. I did not see the front arms or back gauge available by themselves the entire time I've been looking, so I knew I had to get them with the shear.

Next up will be a 48" box/pan finger brake rated for 16 ga. I found one, but just spent everything on this. No Suzukis had to be sacrificed this time, either. Good thing since I don't have any more!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #877
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I could barely sleep last night with the shear in the back of the truck getting rained on. Oh well. There wasn't much I could do about it until this morning.

I found some nice 3" casters from an equipment tear out at work. I welded some 1/2" bolts to the caster's mounting plates to attach to the feet of the shear. Then I started racking my pea brain on how to unload the shear. Something kept telling me "wait for help!". All my help is at their day jobs right now. When they are home from work, I need to go to mine. Hmmm.... I'll figure something out...

I remove my tailgate, and stack 10 pieces of strut for the shear to slide on. Then I stack all sorts of junk underneath to combat any flex issues. Looks legit.

The voice comes back. "Wait for help!"

I'm ignoring you, voice. Go away.

Let's do some risk assessment. Shear - 1,000 - 1,200 lbs and top heavy.

Me? 170 lbs soaking wet. I think this can hurt me.

Okay, it can fall left on me. It can fall right on me. It can pin me to the left or right bedside.

If I can get out of the way in time, it can damage my truck, camper, and then finally fall to the ground and crack the cast iron and tweak itself out of shape.

Meh. Let's do this.

Success!! Not as bad as I thought. It's so heavy that the foot was shaving little curls of metal off the strut as it slid. Heheheheh!!!!! I thought it may get away from me, but I had to pull it along, which was great. I could make adjustments as I went. Nice!

I dried it off and took some steel wool and degreaser to the only rust the shear's ever seen from me letting it get doused in rain all night. It cleaned up just fine...

It has not been re-painted, and there isn't any wear at all on the step. Definately worth the time and effort to go get.

I'll install the back gauge once I clean a spot for it in the garage. Now I can make nice clean, square cuts in sheet instead of getting close with a plasma and a straight edge and still needing to dress the edge before welding. Use the right tool for the job.

Now I need a proper brake. The homemade job has been fine up until now, but I want to take my quality to the next level. That will be next on the tool list...
Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #878
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570

Wow. wow, that you found one like new, wow that you stuffed it into the back off your PU, wow you got it out BY YOURSELF and WOW that you didn't kill yourself, the shear and your truck!

uhm....does it work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #879
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Nice tool once again :)
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #880
chapman2012
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Nice! If you need help I'm sure pooch would be able to help you unless he is working.
chapman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #881
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post

Wow. wow, that you found one like new, wow that you stuffed it into the back off your PU, wow you got it out BY YOURSELF and WOW that you didn't kill yourself, the shear and your truck!

uhm....does it work?
Yeah, not a shining moment of intelligence, but I didn't want it sitting in the back of my truck for a week while I was at work. Where there's a will, there's a way...

It cuts great. I stuck a 48" piece of .080" (12ga.) aluminum in, and it sheared it easily. Should make pannier fab. much quicker.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #882
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post
Nice tool once again :)
Thanks!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #883
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapman2012 View Post
Nice! If you need help I'm sure pooch would be able to help you unless he is working.
I forgot all about Pooch!

Well, I offed both Honda Metropolitans, so now I'm officially brake shopping. The older brakes I've been looking at weigh 1500 - 2000 lbs, so I'll make sure to get some help next time.

I've also been thinking about making a crane of some sort that's on large wheels. I can work on it while I'm searching. Something that can straddle the truck bed or trailer. Weld on multiple eyes on the beam for different attachment points for a 2 ton chainfall. I'll need it for the brake, and for a future lathe. I will make it modular so I can take it down and put it away so I don't have to look at the ugly thing when not in use.

I could also use it for rigging heavy welding projects. Hmmm....... I think I just stumbled upon my next welding project! Sweet!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #884
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
flipping through the thread i looks like yall have done a few nice projects.

I may not be on here too much, but if anyone needs some advice or has some questions, trouble or just needs advice & can't get answers shoot me a PM. if i can't answer a question, i likely know someone else who can :)

did all the welding schooling, inspection, engineering blah blah. retired from the boilermaker's, spent the better part of 2 years traveling the USA doing odd-ball performance/tuning projects before the economy totally ran out. (From turbocharging 125cc lawnmowers on the low end to building & tuning prototype a couple open wheeled cars for Formula Ford)
done a lot of work on 316 stainless

copper-nickle

BIP

gtaw/gmaw/fcaw/smaw/paw, CNC, w/e.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #885
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
flipping through the thread i looks like yall have done a few nice projects.

I may not be on here too much, but if anyone needs some advice or has some questions, trouble or just needs advice & can't get answers shoot me a PM. if i can't answer a question, i likely know someone else who can :)

did all the welding schooling, inspection, engineering blah blah. retired from the boilermaker's, spent the better part of 2 years traveling the USA doing odd-ball performance/tuning projects before the economy totally ran out. (From turbocharging 125cc lawnmowers on the low end to building & tuning prototype a couple open wheeled cars for Formula Ford)
done a lot of work on 316 stainless

copper-nickle

BIP

gtaw/gmaw/fcaw/smaw/paw, CNC, w/e.
WOW!!!!!! Now THAT is some nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice, nice, nice!!!!!!