Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #961
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post
Yeah, well, one income, 4 mouths to feed. Makes you think twice about spending your hard-earned money.
I think I have around $750 in my watercooled, aluminium-capable TIG setup :)

And there you go again; a new set of cups, spanners, blah. Small hardware nickels and dimes you to death

Hoses look heavy to me BTW. Hoses to my torch are really tiny, light and flexible. Or aren't you supposed to route these hoses to the torch?
I hear ya' buddy. Single income 3 kids here. Being frugal and riding a KLR allows all this other kewl stuff to happen.

Yep, I thought about all the torch consumables. Bummer there. The good thing is that the kit comes with a Weldcraft starter kit, and as long as I don't crash the tungsten too much, it should get me going anyway. I was still using the starter kit on the air-cooled setup and hadn't even used any extras yet.

I think the hoses just go from the cooler to the dinse connector and back. I think the torch lines T out of the dinse connector as well. I'll know more when the torch shows up.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #962
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
man thats one heavy duty bumper! nice work!
Thanks, buddy! Bambi beware.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #963
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Speed holes!
Heheheh!!

I know, right! (as my kids would say)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #964
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I'm able to sneak in the garage for a few hours before getting on my honey-do list. Remember? Keep the womenfolk happy, and you can pretty much get away with murder. Life is good.

2 1/2" vent (speed) holes drilled in the outer, lower plate. Tacks made with the spoolgun. (rear view, bumper inverted)

Front view.

Mounted on the truck to check for any warpage issues and also to get a good visual on where to go from here.

Oh heck yes! I'm liking it! Now the excitement sets in once again. Yeah, boy!

Now I need to come up with a clever idea for getting to the mounting hardware. I don't want to weld myself into a corner.

Building this bumper has been like playing chess. I need to think 3 to 4 steps ahead with what I'm doing. I suck at chess, and am only marginally better at fab.

So far, so good. Until next time!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #965
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Outer plate welded, shackle mount shaped and welded. I will finesse the shape better on final weld-up.

Layout for the top piece begins.

Checking for fit.

Future lockable lid is cut out. Instead of just covering the winch pocket, I extend the lid so I can access the mounting hardware easily from the top. Now I can enclose the bottom with no worries.

It's starting to shape up. It's too bad I couldn't make the entire top one single piece. I do the best I can with the size I purchased.

That's all for today. That top piece will be a bit of a workout because I need to weld a flange on the underside for the lid to rest on. With any luck, more tomorrow...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #966
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

Outer plate welded, shackle mount shaped and welded. I will finesse the shape better on final weld-up.

Layout for the top piece begins.

Checking for fit.

Future lockable lid is cut out. Instead of just covering the winch pocket, I extend the lid so I can access the mounting hardware easily from the top. Now I can enclose the bottom with no worries.

It's starting to shape up. It's too bad I couldn't make the entire top one single piece. I do the best I can with the size I purchased.

That's all for today. That top piece will be a bit of a workout because I need to weld a flange on the underside for the lid to rest on. With any luck, more tomorrow...
the bumper would also double as a great air tank if you didnt use it for something else
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #967
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Yeah, that's a good idea! I have a small 12V compressor that could go in there. I don't wheel, so it's not really needed I suppose...

Ears welded to the lid.

Flanges welded to top piece, and top piece welded to the bumper.

Fit-up is a whole lot nicer than I was expecting. When all done, I'll use some thin weather stripping here to stop any rattles and to keep most of the weather out.

I install a small key lock for now. I wanted a nice T handle but couldn't find one after wasting a couple hours looking. I can always change out later.

Things are starting to get a little tricky now, so I resort to making poster board templates.

More tomorrow with any luck...
Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #968
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by lousot View Post
i see a pattern speed holes fly like the wind
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #969
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Yeah, that's a good idea! I have a small 12V compressor that could go in there. I don't wheel, so it's not really needed I suppose...

Ears welded to the lid.

Flanges welded to top piece, and top piece welded to the bumper.

Fit-up is a whole lot nicer than I was expecting. When all done, I'll use some thin weather stripping here to stop any rattles and to keep most of the weather out.

I install a small key lock for now. I wanted a nice T handle but couldn't find one after wasting a couple hours looking. I can always change out later.

Things are starting to get a little tricky now, so I resort to making poster board templates.

More tomorrow with any luck...

Weird you would want to go to the trouble of making something that will bend your trucks chassis rails, even in a very minor collision?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #970
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Wonder whether you have considered the fact that even a relatively minor impact on that bumper is going to mean you are going to have bent chassis rails, and very strange steering?

Quote:
Weird you would want to go to the trouble of making something that will bend your trucks chassis rails, even in a very minor collision?
Seriously dude, you made your point the first time!

He seems to know what he is doing, you had your say, and were none to kind about it!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #971
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
I think it looks good ! I admire his enthusiasm and passion for what he does. I wish he was looking for a job here, I would hire him, hard working and eager to learn + willing to dive into the unknown and have great results. Keep up the good work, I always enjoy visiting this thread !
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #972
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
I think it looks good ! I admire his enthusiasm and passion for what he does. I wish he was looking for a job here, I would hire him, hard working and eager to learn + willing to dive into the unknown and have great results. Keep up the good work, I always enjoy visiting this thread !
Hey, now I wish I were looking for a job there! I'm a lot like this guy too; Have Passion For Fabricating, Will Travel!

Seriously though, what do you do at your business? I'm curious now.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #973
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,133
Quote:
Kirkster has proven himself many times to be a competent fabricator, with a well thought out plan when building something. You seem to think you know something he doesn't. Why don't you either back it up with intelligent questions/evidence instead of being a steaming troll.

And you know what? Don't post them in this thread. PM me with them. There's no need for your negativity in the general populace.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #974
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
weird that you keep repeating it, quote the entire post and do not delete the pics. It will not bend any more then with a stock bumper on the truck.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #975
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post

Thanks a bunch! You really made my day!

I got one guy giving me grief, and you talking about a job. Talk about a well-balanced forum!