Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #976
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
On with the show before Hurricane Sandy knocks out the welders!

More cardborad time! Yay!

Without a doubt, patterns save time and materials. I'm getting down to the knitty gritty, and I'm almost out of plate. Patterns allow me to cut from the best part of what I have left to possibly allow me to have enough to finish...

Not to mention flipping them over for the other side. A well made pattern lets me roll.

A step back for a visual. Yessir, let's do this.

Hot diggity!!! Sandy, you are making for a crappy day, but I will adapt and overcome. I'm really liking what it's shaping up like!

More playtime with cardboard and scissors. Another nice thing about cardboard is being able to trim different angles while taped to the bumper.

And how lucky is this? It touches the angle I estimated on the back plate. I will be able to bridge this easily with the spoolgun. Extra support is not a bad thing, especially with aluminum.

Both pieces cut and tacked in. My stomach is telling me I'm late for lunch. Maybe, just maybe, I'll have some more to look at this evening. Sweet! Until then...

Oh - thanks for the support, guys! It's much appreciated!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #977
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,028
from what I hear about your weather down there, you better start fabbing up a snow plow!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #978
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
from what I hear about your weather down there, you better start fabbing up a snow plow!

Have you seen his snow blower?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #979
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Hey, now I wish I were looking for a job there! I'm a lot like this guy too; Have Passion For Fabricating, Will Travel!

Seriously though, what do you do at your business? I'm curious now.

Job shop. Weld, machine ,water jet - The basics
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #980
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I keep plugging away. She's coming right along...

I keep making patterns as I think they should look. Each piece tacked in place pretty much tells you how to make the next.

I match the contour of the inner mud guard. I will box the ends, and will then have a nice place to re-support the mud guards after cutting them to match the bumper.

I ended up trimming about an inch off the pointed end. That sharp point won't do anyone any favors.

That's all for today. I'm chilled to the bone from adapting and overcoming all day.

Hopefully I will have more to see tomorrow...

Time for a beeyah.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #981
chapman2012
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
you were right the angles on the sides do look good. i thought it woulda been too steep. looking really nice! i do see that you didnt make it to where you can use the 2 hardware holes as strap holes unless you can do it after. depending on the storm and how bad itll be here will depend on if i come home i hope i do just to see this bumper again!
chapman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #982
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Looks badass!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #983
Rhyno
PrsnalityAccentuator

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

The truck might be able to be used in the Chevron Talking car commercials... :jk

It looks like you are using quality parts for the build. And I also Like your Welding Machine Types.

You'll love it when finished, I have built a few and I always enjoy the project and the ability to say "Yup, I built it...."

Good Luck.....

-Rhyno
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #984
johns
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Still great work. I just got a small mig/mag welder. I stumbled across a small company that does technical support for other companies and has develloped some weldingmachines wich are manufactured in Germany.

In Europe we have 230V (for normal home use) and 400 (industrial), and this is a 150A 230V machine. Tried it, and it works great on thinner stuff. Still have to get my own gas cillinder :)

johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #985
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Kirkster has proven himself many times to be a competent fabricator, with a well thought out plan when building something. You seem to think you know something he doesn't. Why don't you either back it up with intelligent questions/evidence instead of being a steaming troll.

And you know what? Don't post them in this thread. PM me with them. There's no need for your negativity in the general populace.

Nothing wrong with the fabrication work at all. But bolting something very strong onto relatively weak pressed steel chassis rails, will mean that even in a low speed collision the chassis rails are going to bend as the fabricated alloy bumper wont.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #986
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Nothing wrong with the fabrication work at all. But bolting something very strong onto relatively weak pressed steel chassis rails, will mean that even in a low speed collision the chassis rails are going to bend as the fabricated alloy bumper wont.
That's great news! Cause Kirk LOVES to fabricate! So next chapter, he will weld his frame up to be 2X as strong!

He's said he has the truck insured to a point that it doesn't matter about that. Actually, could you just stop mentioning this like a broken record? There are a munch of people with these kinds of bumpers. We hope they have insurance on their frames too. Any truck with adequate support for a winch, I suppose would do what you are saying.

I like the way it's shaping up. Will be cool to work on the top piece as it comes around the corner, closing it in. I think it WILL have a good amount of potential flex on the parts that are off-center from the winch box. Deer will just bounce off.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #987
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Thats looking really good,going to take it off to get the weight when your done?
Being Ally, should polish up real nice when your finished.
gunnabuild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #988
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapman2012 View Post
you were right the angles on the sides do look good. i thought it woulda been too steep. looking really nice! i do see that you didnt make it to where you can use the 2 hardware holes as strap holes unless you can do it after. depending on the storm and how bad itll be here will depend on if i come home i hope i do just to see this bumper again!
Thanks! I'm hoping to fully enclose the hardware holes from the backside when I take the bumper off. I will weld a plate from the backplate to the shell. It will make 2 extra enclosed pockets and add structural support.

I haven't done it yet for 2 reasons; I don't know if I have enough plate to finish, and I need to lay out the fog light pockets still and don't want any clearance issues.

Get any snow in PA? I hope you can make it home. I got something for you from Tractor Supply that you've been looking for.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #989
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Looks badass!
Thanks, EG!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #990
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
The truck might be able to be used in the Chevron Talking car commercials... :jk

It looks like you are using quality parts for the build. And I also Like your Welding Machine Types.

You'll love it when finished, I have built a few and I always enjoy the project and the ability to say "Yup, I built it...."

Good Luck.....

-Rhyno
Thanks, Rhyno. I've been having fun working on it. I can hardly sleep at night because I want to get back on it.