Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #1006
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I can't believe the wheels don't load up with aluminum. I have had good luck using a metal blade in a good jigsaw with plenty of alumicut
They make wheels just for aluminum, but I've even used ones for steel with no problems.

Actually, the steel ones last longer than the al. ones.

I've gone through a bunch, and the longest lasting ones for me are the DeWalt high performance metal/stainless ones. They are $3 ea at Tractor Supply.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #1007
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1 View Post
Kirkster said
While it's off the vehicle those nice big flat surfaces should buff up relatively easily then just wash and wax it it when you do the rest of the vehicle.
Nice looking truck, we dont get those here,looks like a hilux on steroids what size is that V8?
I might just try that. I think it would look nice.

Thanks! Yeah, but you guys have diesels that we can't get here. It's a 4.7L. 270hp I think. The new Tundra is a 381 horse 5.7. If I ever blow this one up, that will be next.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #1008
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Well, I limped my air-cooled TIG torch along today. I didn't smoke it as much as I thought. I did get it hot enough to booger up the threads on the handle end on the inside of the torch body.

No problem. Just chase it with a tap, right? Well, I have a really nice tap and die set, and nothing is that size. It's a 32 TPI, of unknown size. A trip to NAPA resulted in more head scratching and mumbling. A trip to Fastenal turned up the same results. There wasn't even a tap size in any catalogs for this. Shoot.

Last night, I burned up my last spool of 4043 on the spoolgun, and burned up my last contact tip. Freakin' dead in the water. You have got to be kidding me.

This morning after getting back empty handed with no tap, I dressed up the tungsten on the air-cooled TIG torch and tightened the end cap with channellocks. This bumper isn't making itself. I made it through the whole day that way and was really laying down some nice welds on the 3/16" al.

When I was done, what shows up?

The water cooled torch. You can see where I was cranking on the air cooled torch with the pliers. Hey - it got me through and was really doing a good job.

Air-cooled, 150A, WP-17, 20% duty cycle torch on top.

Liquid-cooled, 250A, WP-20, 100% duty cycle torch on bottom.

Both with 1/8" tungstens and #7 cups. Pretty noticeable size difference. The only consumables that are interchangeable are the tungstens.

I was able to finish weld and grind everything today. I was working until the last minute and just did have time to get the bumper mounted for trick-or-treating duty.

I was concerned with warpage, but it bolted right up with no problems. I'll probably have to take it off the truck a couple more times to finish everything up. I just wanted to show off my new boat anchor.

Now then. Those running boards are looking a little spindly. Oh boy. Here we go again with another project. ... maybe I should finish this one first.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 06:41 PM
Old 10-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #1009
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

When I was done, what shows up?

Your gonna love it ! just keep and eye on things while you laying those 36" welds on 1/2 Aluminum. I remember cranking away when I swapped my home unit over to water cooled- doing heavy aluminum plate, lifted to hood to watch all the lines and line protector go to smoke. Filled the shop with steam and smoke (bum fitting) - sad times when the cooler springs a leak and it goes unnoticed.
Bumper looks very sweet my friend
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #1010
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Looks like a[expensive] bought one.
Dude, dont you have a job? Or are you just one of those people that dont sleep?
Congrats looks great and it's time to take rookie and wannabe off the thread title
gunnabuild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #1011
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Well, now that this project is where it's at, let me inform you that I've already ordered the BRmoto steel pannier loops and after some rough measurements, 6 feet of 5/8" DOM tube. I know you said you used like 16 feet of that stuff on your racks, BUT I figure a lot went into the rack hoops and reinforcements themselves. How much is needed at the ends tht get cut off later just to work in the pipe bender, I don't know. Well, time to start PM'ing about times that might work for fabbing this stuff up is in order. All i have to do is get hardware and maybe some plate material for bolting some of the things in... how much plate scrap you have is unknown to me. Looking forward to meeting you... before it gets too cold to ride to northern VA. My XT600 is my main mode of transit, you know.

P.S.: Looks F@#*ing AWESOME!!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #1012
Rhyno
PrsnalityAccentuator

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

Did you grind your Dimes smooth? Or were they another shape and needed to be ground?

It still looks good, though! :)smile

-Rhyno

On a P.S.......I hope that you vent holes flow enough......

Good Luck, keep up the good work......
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #1013
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Your gonna love it ! just keep and eye on things while you laying those 36" welds on 1/2 Aluminum. I remember cranking away when I swapped my home unit over to water cooled- doing heavy aluminum plate, lifted to hood to watch all the lines and line protector go to smoke. Filled the shop with steam and smoke (bum fitting) - sad times when the cooler springs a leak and it goes unnoticed.
Bumper looks very sweet my friend
Thanks, my man! Good advice on keeping an eye on the cooler.

I have a LOT to do today. Currently in coffee slamming mode...
Old 11-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #1014
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1 View Post
Looks like a[expensive] bought one.
Dude, dont you have a job? Or are you just one of those people that dont sleep?
Congrats looks great and it's time to take rookie and wannabe off the thread title
Thanks! Aluminess (who I sort of modelled this from, but made my own tweaks) wanted $2,300 delivered to my door.

After the expense of materials and labor involved, I can now understand why. They are making profit purely on mass-production techniques and savings on bulk material orders. - as best as I can figure, that is.

My current cash layout (and not quite finished)...

1) 2' x 4' x 5/16" 6061-T6 al. sheet.
2) 2' x 4' x 3/16" 5052 al. sheets
2) 2" O.D. x 1/8" wall x 6' tube (extra for goofs)
3) " " x 4' " "
2) 1" x 3" x 12" 6061-T6 bar
2) 6" O.D. x 1/8" wall tube x 12"

^ shipped to my door - $536.

Tank of argon - $44

20 cutting wheels x $3 = $60

1 spool of 4043 = $20

2 lbs 0f 4043 filler = $15

Total so far = $675.

Man hours = 6 long days. Any good tradesman should earn $1000 a week for 40 hours in my book. I'm well over that and still have a ways to go.

So there's $1675 without being 100% complete. Add powdercoat and shipping, and we're creeping up on commercially available bumpers pretty quickly.

Payout from State Farm? Almost $1700, plus a 2013 F-150 XLT Megacab to tool around in until my truck is streetable for good. Very happy here. Things couldn't have gone better.

I'm very fortunate to work at a data center. 4 days on, 4 days off. I pulled 4 days vacation this week to have fun with the kid's Halloween party, and to start putting my snow cab on my tractor.

The Bambi bumper was a pretty cool surprise project for me. I just took the lemons and made lemonade.

Halfway through my vacation time, and still have a LOT to do:

Do JD2 hydro bender conversion,
Build rolling stand for ^
Hook up TIG cooler
Bend tube, finish bumper
Fog lights in bumper
Triangulate the bumper support brackets and spraybomb them
Get truck inspected
Take deck off tractor; install snow cab & blower
Rebuild p.o.s. Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine. Needs new bearings @ 2.5 years old.

^ I've been building all these projects in my sleep all week. I just need to make my hands move the right way so everything looks like my mind pictured them. Sleep? What's that?

kirkster70 screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 03:05 AM
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #1015
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Well, now that this project is where it's at, let me inform you that I've already ordered the BRmoto steel pannier loops and after some rough measurements, 6 feet of 5/8" DOM tube. I know you said you used like 16 feet of that stuff on your racks, BUT I figure a lot went into the rack hoops and reinforcements themselves. How much is needed at the ends tht get cut off later just to work in the pipe bender, I don't know. Well, time to start PM'ing about times that might work for fabbing this stuff up is in order. All i have to do is get hardware and maybe some plate material for bolting some of the things in... how much plate scrap you have is unknown to me. Looking forward to meeting you... before it gets too cold to ride to northern VA. My XT600 is my main mode of transit, you know.

P.S.: Looks F@#*ing AWESOME!!
Thanks! Order 20' to be safe. I have everything else. It's probably going to be another 2 weeks...
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #1016
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
Did you grind your Dimes smooth? Or were they another shape and needed to be ground?

It still looks good, though! :)smile

-Rhyno

On a P.S.......I hope that you vent holes flow enough......

Good Luck, keep up the good work......
Thanks, Rhyno!

I made my outside corners to where they got very good fill, so yes, I did grind the outside smooth. All internal welds were left alone for strength.

I'll have to keep an eye on the temp gauge. Some more air will get through once I cut in the fog light pockets. I figured for 1/2" slop around each light, so that should help as well.

If she runs hot, I may have to fill the winch box with beer and ice. I can see pulling up to the campsite now! That alone would sell a few bumpers.

Back to the man cave. Get to work, slacker.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #1017
chapman2012
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I'll be home before lunch since my final is at 7am
chapman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #1018
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Jeezus, me order 20 feet of pipe? Yeah, it'll take at LEAST another couple weeks for me to earn up the dough for that. I'm imagining quite a scene, me on the XT with all this wierd s#!t strapped to the bike... pipe, steel fabbed hardware, weekend survival kit... Looking forward to it. I do love my internet acquaintance events!!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #1019
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Jeezus, me order 20 feet of pipe? Yeah, it'll take at LEAST another couple weeks for me to earn up the dough for that. I'm imagining quite a scene, me on the XT with all this wierd s#!t strapped to the bike... pipe, steel fabbed hardware, weekend survival kit... Looking forward to it. I do love my internet acquaintance events!!
Order 4) 5' lengths on ebay. You're looking at $40 - $50 shipped. Ship it here when you're ready. Make sure it's 5/8" O.D. DOM, not pipe. It's a DOM die. It's better to have more than enough than not enough. It sucks to run out before the job is done.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #1020
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapman2012 View Post
I'll be home before lunch since my final is at 7am
Nice! Gonna' box your lights on the headache rack?

You can play with the MIG while I TIG.

Coffee break #2 is now over. Heheheheh.....