Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #1051
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post

copper-nickle

^^^ this is an amazing weld. a true work of art.

wish i'd found this thread earlier. subscribed.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #1052
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,318
That wasn't made by no rookie. You said, "I simply cannot believe I made this myself" I know that feeling! You did and it is really nice.I would say it is friggen awesome! Your truck looks like it is ready for Zombie duty! You have to put you initials on the bumper somewhere as a trademark so when you start producng them...

And, it would be a lot of work but you should sand with 600 1000, 1500 2000 and then mothers aluminum polish. It would look like chrome and you might even get some one offering to buy the bumper right off the truck! Don't take less then 2500!

Well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
A couple more pics, and I'll stick a fork in it for now.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #1053
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,799
the bumper is super nice, you need to put a kirkster decal on it though!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #1054
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
Possible names for your fabrication company... Rookie Fabrication. Kirkster fab.
RoFab. I like that one. Can I be VP?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #1055
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
That wasn't made by no rookie. You said, "I simply cannot believe I made this myself" I know that feeling! You did and it is really nice.I would say it is friggen awesome! Your truck looks like it is ready for Zombie duty! You have to put you initials on the bumper somewhere as a trademark so when you start producng them...

And, it would be a lot of work but you should sand with 600 1000, 1500 2000 and then mothers aluminum polish. It would look like chrome and you might even get some one offering to buy the bumper right off the truck! Don't take less then 2500!

Well done.
Thanks!!

I don't know about producing them. For the labor and materials involved, someone could buy something cheaper from known manufacturers. I'm really not kidding. I lost count of the hours. I'm having fun, so it really doesn't matter for my own personal use. But for a potential customer? I'd make more flipping burgers somewhere.

I'm sure it would look great polished. I think the real work would come from keeping it that way. I've stripped and polished many mc rims, and that's a small item. Upkeep on rims was enough to tell me not to do it anymore. I know I could clearcoat after polishing, but for a few dollars more, I could also add blue basecoat and paint to match the truck. Soooo............

I'm still thinking about it.

I may run it this winter as-is and see if my welds are up to snuff. A crack developing in a nice finish would sucketh.

Come nice weather, I may have other ideas. But for now, I'm leaning heavily towards a uniform 80 grit scuff job. I like the industrial look. I also like low-maintenance. Plus, I treat this truck like a dual-sport in that it doesn't get washed much. Maybe once all last year. A shiny bumper would create more jobs in keeping the truck clean to match.

I'll have to just wait and see...
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #1056
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
Thanks, Kubiak!

I sold my CAMM2 and all the goodies a few years back. I still have some transfer tape, though, and probably could come up with something interesting... Hmmm.... You and 100mpg have my mind working on it now.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #1057
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Possible names for your fabrication company... Rookie Fabrication. Kirkster fab.
RoFab. I like that one. Can I be VP?

Sure!

VP position is open pending generous investment capital.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #1058
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Got a little more knocked out today...

Against my better judgement (what isn't? heheheh) , I use the online dimensions of the fog lights I ordered, but still don't have. I fab a pretty stout tab out of 3/16" thick 6061 aluminum; 1 1/4" x 3" and weld it to the underside of the fog light tube. I drill it out one size larger than the light's mounting stud.

Then I weld the tubes in both sides with the TIG. Using the cutting wheel for the hole made a really nice beveled edge for a nice weld to lie in. I used a 40grit flap wheel on the exterior, a half-round file on the interior, and then follwed up by removing the scratches with 80 grit dry paper.

Then I turned my attention to the fugly top tube copes. Weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind......

I know grinding takes away strength, but believe me, there is plenty of fill here! 4 full 36" x 1/8" rods on each joint. I was extra careful not to under cut the tube on either side. After I blew through 1/4 of a fresh 125cf tank of argon, it was looking quite nice.

To finish up, I sanded by hand with 80grit dry paper for several mind-numbing hours to remove all 40 grit flap wheel marks. I really like the satin finish. The rest of the bumper could look this nice with many more mind-numbing hours devoted to sanding.

The finish line is close in sight. Just waiting on FedEx to bring me some 5" KC lights. Their tracking info should start working about the same time the package shows up.

Until next time...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 05:21 PM
Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #1059
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:

Sure!

VP position is open pending generous investment capital.
ha! yeah, I can spare one of the nickels I run together...
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #1060
100mpg
This sentance intent

That does look good. You could at least get some non-rusted shackles! They sell a product for aluminum that seals it from the weather....Of course I cannot think of the name.
Quote:

The finish line is close in sight. Just waiting on FedEx to bring me some 5" KC lights. Their tracking info should start working about the same time the package shows up.

Until next time...
Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #1061
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
That does look good. You could at least get some non-rusted shackles! They sell a product for aluminum that seals it from the weather....Of course I cannot think of the name.

Yeah, the beat to heck shackles are from long gone, mud slinging ATVs - they aren't even the right size. They are 5/8" pin, and I drilled for a 7/8" pin shackle. I found a guy on ebay selling some nice USA made shackles for 20 bux a pop. I just need to order a pair of them...
Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #1062
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Yeah, the beat to heck shackles are from long gone, mud slinging ATVs - they aren't even the right size. They are 5/8" pin, and I drilled for a 7/8" pin shackle. I found a guy on ebay selling some nice USA made shackles for 20 bux a pop. I just need to order a pair of them...
hurry up before those old rusty ones stain that purty bumper!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #1063
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
I will be the ump-teenth person to say how much @$$ this bumper fab project kicks. Now that it is mostly done, should I be asking about my amateur fabricator-in-residence pannier rack project, or am I jumping the gun a little bit? I'm eager to get a piece of the action. Sometime around the 20th of this month I should be able to order the materials I need to complete a set of panniers for my XT600. I look forward to your response!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #1064
07wee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I saw the title of rookie welder and expected to see someone tacking pieces of pot metal together. I am blown away by your work, the skull sculpture is crazy, the fire pit looks store bought and the latest post with the bumper looks like a $3,000 aftermarket road armor bumper.

Needless to say keep the projects coming I'm subscribed!
07wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #1065
100mpg
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wee View Post
... and the latest post with the bumper looks like a $3,000 aftermarket road armor bumper...
see that Kirk? Would it be worth 3000 a bumper to start manufacturing them? When you cut out each piece, just make 5 instead of one.....As V.P. of RoFab inc, We need to make this company grow!