Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #1081
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
Don't you mean low and to the right?

And show your insurance adjuster what u got for their money.
Insurance guy actually told me on the phone that he didn't care if I took the money and went to Vegas. I asked "what about the truck?" He then told me he didn't care if I fixed it or not.

I'll probably show my local rep anyway so they can photograph and record everything in case anything else happens.

I've been thinking about driving around in reverse so Bambi can pay for the rear bumper and some rock sliders.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #1082
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
I was at the scrap yard today and saw an aftermarket aluminum grill guard laying there that someone had brought in. It was just built out of tube and bolts under the front bumper. I thought of your project and just laughed at how light weight this one was, and how it would collapse at the first strike of anything solid.

You've done a great job with this one.
Thank you very much! It was hard work, but it was also fun and I learned a lot by just going for it.

I got all my tanks topped off today and I'm ready to get cracking on some more projects on my next break.

I think the next project will be a removeable rack for the bed of the truck so I can transport the welding tanks in a safe manner. Up until now, I've been sliding them in the back seat and putting a seat belt around them. Not exactly the safest thing in the world with a full tank at 2000psi.

Probably more uni-strut will get used. I'll make it to where it slides in the stake pockets and can hold the tanks strapped in the upright position like they should be transported. I'll have to fabricate the straps out of flatbar and make them like conduit straps so they can hook into the strut.

When removed from the truck, I'll make it free-standing so it can do double duty by holding emptys in the garage. Should be a pretty good little project.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #1083
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Insurance guy actually told me on the phone that he didn't care if I took the money and went to Vegas. I asked "what about the truck?" He then told me he didn't care if I fixed it or not.

I'll probably show my local rep anyway so they can photograph and record everything in case anything else happens.

I've been thinking about driving around in reverse so Bambi can pay for the rear bumper and some rock sliders.
haha. i got rear ended in my country squire. insurance guy assessed the damage (bumper pushed in), gave me an estimate, cut me a check for around $500, and then told me how to pop the bumper out back in to place. don't remember what i spent the money on.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #1084
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Alright, I've been putting this one off for a while - a cylinder rack so I can safely transport welding gas in the back of truck like someone who has a brain half the size of a pea. Mine's a bit smaller, so it takes me longer sometimes.

Back to the unistrut scrap pile. I notch the strut to slide into my truck's stake pockets using a 4 1/2" cutting wheel in a grinder.

Scrap 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar is drilled out, cut to size, and then a 3/8" nut is tacked in place.

Flat bar welded to the strut to match the factory hole height in the truck's inner bed side. I disconnect the battery negative to avoid any possible electrical gremlins.

Tightly bolted in place to begin mock-up of rack.

I allow plenty of room for the cylinder and a strap from the rack to the tailgate. I figure for a 330 cubic foot tank because I'm thinking of upgrading from 125s.

I cut the feet to the desired length and then measure for the vertical pieces. Everything is squared up and tacked in place. Now I can add another horizontal piece, triangulate the feet for support, and then take the rack out to fully weld all joints.

Quick and dirty rack is working out pretty well so far...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 10:50 AM
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #1085
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
I was always going to build a cylinder rack that would slide into my hitch receiver. That way I wouldn't have to lift the heavy bottles up into the bed of the truck.

Then I thought about being rear-ended.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #1086
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I was always going to build a cylinder rack that would slide into my hitch receiver. That way I wouldn't have to lift the heavy bottles up into the bed of the truck.

Then I thought about being rear-ended.
Oooh! Yeah, that would be a bad day!

125s are pretty easy to throw around, but I think the 330s are around 145lbs or so. I'm thinking I can flip them up if I can get them horizontal on the tailgate.

AirGas will only let me rent a 330 @ $70 a year plus fill charges.

I can buy one from Gas Pony @ Tractor Supply outright, but it works out to be about 4 1/2 years of renting to equal the tank purchase. Fill charges are about the same at each place.

AirGas won't fill a Gas Pony cylinder. I already asked.

It's always something...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 03:53 PM
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #1087
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I'm thinking just because it's scrap, it doesn't have to look completely ghetto. With that in mind, I cap all the open strut ends with pieces cut out of the scrap scrap.

Then I do the usual spraybomb session.

I'm hoping to fab the cylinder straps out of flat bar tomorrow. That should be a bit of a challenge. We'll see...
Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #1088
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Using scrap 1 1/2" x 3/16" flat bar, I bend a 90 in the hole end with my homemade brake, and bend the curve in the vise. I thought this would be a bit of a challenge to bend the right radius, but it went pretty smoothly. I probably just jinxed myself...

The notch is made with a drill bit, and then trimmed up with the cutting wheel.

1/2" hardware is used to attach the strap. Now I need to make at least 3 more straps.

Not a very exciting project, but a much needed one.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #1089
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
How about a wingnut-style bolt or extended nut with a t-handle to make securing the tanks easier?

Good pure-utility project.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #1090
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,005
Quote:
Either he was hungry or something smelled really good to the bear. He tests the chains on a regular basis, but he's never caved in the lid before. My wife told the neighbors that she isn't sure who is more determined - me or the bear.
thats easy. You. Make sure you have the camera pointed directly at the bumper the night you just happen to "forget" some cookies on the new bumper and the bear (paid participant) tests your bumper!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #1091
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
How about a wingnut-style bolt or extended nut with a t-handle to make securing the tanks easier?

Good pure-utility project.
I was more worried about someone making off with my tanks if left unattended too long in the parking lot. I was actually scratching my head on how I could lock them, but didn't want to burn up too many brain cells thinking about it. I have to be gentle with the ones I have left.

It's a pretty quick affair working the straps with a ratchet.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #1092
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
thats easy. You. Make sure you have the camera pointed directly at the bumper the night you just happen to "forget" some cookies on the new bumper and the bear (paid participant) tests your bumper!
I repositioned the cage when done upgrading, so hopefully he'll trip different motion sensors and we can get some good piccys next time! Turkey carcass ought to draw him out!
Old 11-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #1093
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
I repositioned the cage when done upgrading, so hopefully he'll trip different motion sensors and we can get some good piccys next time! Turkey carcass ought to draw him out!
Eff that, boil the turkey carcass in a deep pot to get awesome turkey stock. Use a bit of vinegar to draw out the calcium for nutritional value. Eat all but the 'gobble.' (taken from the pig scavenging philosophy of 'eat all but the squeal').

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #1094
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

The guinea pig palace is finally 100% complete. My girl will be home from school any minute, and I'm hoping she loves it!

Warpy, warpy! I don't think there is a straight or square line on the whole project due to all the heat that went into it. Oh, well. I did the best I could and got lots of hood time with the TIG.

4 doors open for catching the critter, and for feeding and cleaning duties.

Cabinet hinges from a remodel, 1/4" polycarbonate left over from tractor cab windows, EMT strap for the water bottle. I bought the hasps and some 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum angle from the hardware store to finish everything off.

Nothing fancy, but there it is. Now I have a little more garage space and can move onto another project.

Getting ready to put it into service here in a bit...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #1095
chapman2012
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
How does piggie like it?
chapman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote