Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #1141
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Are you going to tie the legs together at the base/casters? At the legs' angle, that is a lot of leverage on the weld joint. Wouldn't need much, some 1 x 1/8" thick strap would keep the legs from splaying under load.
Keep the progress reports coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

I double check my 5' measurement. The casters should take me close to 6'. I can fine tune the height of the collar that attaches to the beam to get my desired height.
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #1142
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
Are you going to tie the legs together at the base/casters? At the legs' angle, that is a lot of leverage on the weld joint. Wouldn't need much, some 1 x 1/8" thick strap would keep the legs from splaying under load.
Keep the progress reports coming!
Thanks!

I do have an idea that came to mind once I laid all this out on the floor that should solve 3 problems at once. - I think.

If I were to connect the legs with a piece of say 1" square tube, and held it to one side (don't center it in the legs), and if I were to make it just high enough to slip a jack under, it will 1) act as a gusset for the legs, 2) Give a jack point for caster installation, and 3) I can notch out half of the bottom of the main post and leave enough clearance for the come-along hook w/o cutting a hook notch.

^ was that a run-on sentence?

Sometimes the ideas don't come until the parts start getting cut out. My final product rarely is exactly like the original idea sketch, but that's a good thing. Half the fun is figuring it all out on the fly and learning something new.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 08:47 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #1143
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

7/8" height adjustment holes drilled 3" on center. One end tacked together. I stand it up to check my overall height.

I like what I'm seeing, so I fully weld all joints. I'm used to welding scrap together, so I'm amazed at how well quality materials weld.

...and like I was saying earlier - it always fun to learn something new. I'm trying to figure if the 6" beam that came with the hoist is strong enough for a 10' span @ 1TON while maintaining a 5 to 1 safety margin, and it isn't. So then I try to figure the widest a 6" beam can go, and this dumb electrician stumbles across Young's Modulus...

I also learn about different types of I-beams, which I had no idea about, and different weights per linear foot on the same height beam, which I had no idea about. I also discovered you can determine the weight per foot by measuring the flange width.

If my numbers are right, I'll be able to make the 6" beam wide enough to clear my trailer width, but for a full 10 foot span like I wanted to do, I need to keep my eyes peeled for a 7" tall beam.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #1144
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,007
Quote:
I like what I'm seeing, so I fully weld all joints. I'm used to welding scrap together, so I'm amazed at how well quality materials weld.
Show us pictures and we will let you know!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #1145
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Show us pictures and we will let you know!
Sure!

Virtually zero spatter with Argon/CO2 @ 20 cfh, ER70S-6, .035".

3/4" x 4" pins from Tractor Supply. Six bucks and change each.

There may be more to see tomorrow...

Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #1146
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,586
Very nice!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #1147
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Very nice!

Jim
Thanks, Jim!

I didn't get to make my Ohio trip due to the weather they were having up there. That's okay, because it gave me time to get this project knocked out. - And I'll need it.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #1148
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
You also did a great job cutting those tubes to size with straight angles using a grinder. I don't find it easy to obtain a straight and uniform cut in such thick tubes using an angle grinder. Anybody can use a bandsaw to obtain straight cuts, but doing so with an angle grinder requires workmanship and a steady hand..

Offtopic: my new toy:

Currently being converted to CNC since I am better in programming computers than turning handwheels (try making a circle using the X/Y axis handwheels..). Like the conversion of welder to AC/liquid cooling, I also do all the electronics myself. Including the development of the stepper motor drivers; they are designed and built from scratch starting with a blank piece of paper. Partially a money issue, partially 'I know I can do a really good job on those'.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #1149
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
Quote:
I'm used to welding scrap together, so I'm amazed at how well quality materials weld.
Agreed! I'm on the board of directors for our local non-profit recycling center/scrapyard so a majority of my stuff is recycled steel of questionable metallurgy. When I make something with actual purchased fresh steel it is sooooo much nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post
You also did a great job cutting those tubes to size with straight angles using a grinder. I don't find it easy to obtain a straight and uniform cut in such thick tubes using an angle grinder. Anybody can use a bandsaw to obtain straight cuts, but doing so with an angle grinder requires workmanship and a steady hand..
True dat! I scored a couple weeks ago. Someone posted on a local board that they had an Olson cut-off bandsaw for sale for $100.00. I went and took a look and snagged it as soon as possible. Olson was a local company that used to make these saws and they have a huge amount of respect in this region. The one I picked up has at least an eight inch capacity at 90 degrees. Similar new ones from HF and the like go for at least $600.00 so $100.00 with a new blade was a steal. I almost feel guilty..........not.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #1150
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,007
Quote:
Sure!

3/4" x 4" pins from Tractor Supply. Six bucks and change each.

There may be more to see tomorrow...

Pass! I practiced on a few new scraps from my yard and you are right, new is always nicer to work with. Now if I could find four 4' x 12" 10 gauge and two 1' x 1' ...I would be all set.

What is the shear rating on those pins? That might not be a piece to save a few bucks.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #1151
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,860
Quote:
Virtually zero spatter with Argon/CO2 @ 20 cfh, ER70S-6, .035".

Nice work. But did you get enough penetration? The bead looks a little small for that size of tube, but maybe it's just what I'm used to. I have some .045 that really lays down a nice bead on heavier stuff in one pass.

I was thinking about something like this, but wasn't in a hurry. now, well, I'm more motivated. Lifting heavy stuff is no fun.

My problem is I have a lot more ceiling height. So, of course I want something much taller, which = more steel, which = more expensive.

This guy has a neat setup outside his shop (he's also got mad machining skilz) Check out about 8:50. There is a support on the other side that the beam rests on.

Something like that would be cool inside. I've got about a 12' rafter height to work with.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #1152
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 645
There go several hours of my life watching Keith Fenner in his magical shop. Just awesome.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #1153
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
There go several hours of my life watching Keith Fenner in his magical shop. Just awesome.

He reminds me of some Old School machinists, welders, and mechanics I have known. He takes meticulous to a whole new level.

Watch him build his plasma cutting table, complete with water pan, fume extraction, and that Jetsons enclosure for his computer! It shows his attention to detail. I was amazed at the repair he did to a John Deere dozer drive sprocket, removing the threads on the end of a thing, adding material to the cast iron, and then restoring the threads. And all the rest of his threads.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #1154
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post

Offtopic: my new toy:

Currently being converted to CNC since I am better in programming computers than turning handwheels (try making a circle using the X/Y axis handwheels..). Like the conversion of welder to AC/liquid cooling, I also do all the electronics myself. Including the development of the stepper motor drivers; they are designed and built from scratch starting with a blank piece of paper. Partially a money issue, partially 'I know I can do a really good job on those'.
Thank you!

Wow!!!! You have a really nice setup going on there!! Very ingenious!

Have you gotten it all sorted out yet? Very, very kewl!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #1155
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Pass! I practiced on a few new scraps from my yard and you are right, new is always nicer to work with. Now if I could find four 4' x 12" 10 gauge and two 1' x 1' ...I would be all set.

What is the shear rating on those pins? That might not be a piece to save a few bucks.
No idea on the shear rating. Trying to save a few bucks on this project? Have you been paying attention? A couple more bills and I could have bought one already made.