Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #1156
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Nice work. But did you get enough penetration? The bead looks a little small for that size of tube, but maybe it's just what I'm used to. I have some .045 that really lays down a nice bead on heavier stuff in one pass.

I was thinking about something like this, but wasn't in a hurry. now, well, I'm more motivated. Lifting heavy stuff is no fun.

My problem is I have a lot more ceiling height. So, of course I want something much taller, which = more steel, which = more expensive.

This guy has a neat setup outside his shop (he's also got mad machining skilz) Check out about 8:50. There is a support on the other side that the beam rests on.

Something like that would be cool inside. I've got about a 12' rafter height to work with.

I hope the penetration is good. I guess we'll see in about a week or so. I already know what my first load test will be...

We need another ton of pellets soon, and I plan on picking the entire skid off the trailer in one fell swoop.

I'll have to check this gent's video out once I'm in beer mode tonight. Currently in coffee mode.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #1157
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Main support posts cut to length, then slid in place to layout the adjustment holes.

I figure where the wheels are supposed to be and allow room for the bottom come-along hook. Once again, I am fabbing based on manufacturer's measurements w/o actually having the wheels in hand. It hasn't bitten me in the rear end yet, but it's only a matter of time.

More repetitive, boring work. Who is the dummy that chose 3" centers? I probably would have been fine with 6" centers, but now I have to finish what I started.

Coming soon - death of another DeWalt...

Coffee break over - get back to it, slacker.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #1158
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Agreed! I'm on the board of directors for our local non-profit recycling center/scrapyard so a majority of my stuff is recycled steel of questionable metallurgy. When I make something with actual purchased fresh steel it is sooooo much nicer.

True dat! I scored a couple weeks ago. Someone posted on a local board that they had an Olson cut-off bandsaw for sale for $100.00. I went and took a look and snagged it as soon as possible. Olson was a local company that used to make these saws and they have a huge amount of respect in this region. The one I picked up has at least an eight inch capacity at 90 degrees. Similar new ones from HF and the like go for at least $600.00 so $100.00 with a new blade was a steal. I almost feel guilty..........not.
Nice score on a nice tool!!!!! It pays to keep your eyes peeled!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #1159
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
When you do the next one of these you could drill the holes in one part at 3in and 4in in the other part. This would give you more adjustment options - with all holes at 3in you basically have up or down 3in at a time. With offset holes you could move as little as 1in but you would be able to use two pins per side at the zero,12 and/or 24 inch spacings.

On your weld penetration - I know that the 252 is capable of doing 1/2 stock, so single pass at this thickness it will be able to do easily. Looking at the weld I think you may need to turn up the heat a little bit. Getting a little more bluing around the weld will be a good sign. More heat will also make your welds flatter. I missed what size wire you are using but .035 would be my choice.

Good Job - keep it up!!

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #1160
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Wow!!!! You have a really nice setup going on there!! Very ingenious!
Have you gotten it all sorted out yet? Very, very kewl!
Not yet; I only had the X axis running in test yet. I did modify the shaft coupler and made the bracket for the Y axis today, though.

Have to solder together another stepper driver, but it won't be long before I can run a test on both X and Y axes. At least that allows me to mill patterns. I will leave the Z-axis (milling head up and down) manual for now; it is better to become a little comfortable with all this before I start crashing endmills into the machine clamp or crosstable. Those 'endmill' things eat though steel at unbelievable high speed....

And of course I need to 'find' me a lot of stuff. More powerful power supply, some slightly more recent computer hardware (currently used computer was born in 2001 of 2002 of something...), nice closed box to put all the electrickery in, etcetera. Will keep me busy for a while.

Would have been a great machine to drill your holes at 3" distance though
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #1161
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,509
Quote:
Thanks, Jim!

I didn't get to make my Ohio trip due to the weather they were having up there. That's okay, because it gave me time to get this project knocked out. - And I'll need it.
Can't wait to see your set-up!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #1162
Armydad
Prov. 3:5-6

Oddometer: 78
I've made circles in 2 axis, i know what u mean. Let me know when u get to 5 axis machining with a ball e.m., i've got a ton of jobs waiting for u !
Nice work, (i wish i had the patients) but that's got to take a ton of time, yes? New York time is very expensive, i would opt to buy the retrofit kit myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post
You also did a great job cutting those tubes to size with straight angles using a grinder. I don't find it easy to obtain a straight and uniform cut in such thick tubes using an angle grinder. Anybody can use a bandsaw to obtain straight cuts, but doing so with an angle grinder requires workmanship and a steady hand..

Offtopic: my new toy:

Currently being converted to CNC since I am better in programming computers than turning handwheels (try making a circle using the X/Y axis handwheels..). Like the conversion of welder to AC/liquid cooling, I also do all the electronics myself. Including the development of the stepper motor drivers; they are designed and built from scratch starting with a blank piece of paper. Partially a money issue, partially 'I know I can do a really good job on those'.
07 FJR 1300
05 HD 883 Sporty
Armydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #1163
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,699
Quote:
I figure where the wheels are supposed to be and allow room for the bottom come-along hook. Once again, I am fabbing based on manufacturer's measurements w/o actually having the wheels in hand. It hasn't bitten me in the rear end yet, but it's only a matter of time.
I was able to visit a Northern Tool this afternoon. They had some great wheels there, both cast and rubber clad. I thought about your project when I saw them. The cast ones would easily handle the load of your current project.

I was impressed with Northern Tool. Some of the stuff is cheaper house branded stuff, but lots of good name branded stuff as well.

If they open a store up in Columbus, I'm going to be bankrupt in short order!!

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #1164
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:

More repetitive, boring work. Who is the dummy that chose 3" centers? I probably would have been fine with 6" centers, but now I have to finish what I started.

Coming soon - death of another DeWalt...Coffee break over - get back to it, slacker.
You drilled all those holes by hand with a battery drill?

If you have room get one of these. Super cheap now that everyone wants NC mills.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #1165
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
When you do the next one of these you could drill the holes in one part at 3in and 4in in the other part. This would give you more adjustment options - with all holes at 3in you basically have up or down 3in at a time. With offset holes you could move as little as 1in but you would be able to use two pins per side at the zero,12 and/or 24 inch spacings.

On your weld penetration - I know that the 252 is capable of doing 1/2 stock, so single pass at this thickness it will be able to do easily. Looking at the weld I think you may need to turn up the heat a little bit. Getting a little more bluing around the weld will be a good sign. More heat will also make your welds flatter. I missed what size wire you are using but .035 would be my choice.

Good Job - keep it up!!
Thanks!

That's a really good idea on the hole placement. Definately a "why didn't I think of that?" moment! I'm sure there will be other times to have something adjustable, so I hope I can remember that trick.

It's .035". I had already wire brushed the welds before the pic, but you could see the HAZ before. The weld bead is 1/8" wider than the material thickness. I think the top weld looks a little ropy due to the top fit-up. Sides and bottom are flat.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #1166
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post
Not yet; I only had the X axis running in test yet. I did modify the shaft coupler and made the bracket for the Y axis today, though.

Have to solder together another stepper driver, but it won't be long before I can run a test on both X and Y axes. At least that allows me to mill patterns. I will leave the Z-axis (milling head up and down) manual for now; it is better to become a little comfortable with all this before I start crashing endmills into the machine clamp or crosstable. Those 'endmill' things eat though steel at unbelievable high speed....

And of course I need to 'find' me a lot of stuff. More powerful power supply, some slightly more recent computer hardware (currently used computer was born in 2001 of 2002 of something...), nice closed box to put all the electrickery in, etcetera. Will keep me busy for a while.

Would have been a great machine to drill your holes at 3" distance though
Very nice work, my friend! You are a very clever person to figure all of that out!

Hmmm.... how much to ship 437lbs of steel to the Netherlands for hole drilling...
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #1167
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Can't wait to see your set-up!

Jim
Soon!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #1168
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
I was able to visit a Northern Tool this afternoon. They had some great wheels there, both cast and rubber clad. I thought about your project when I saw them. The cast ones would easily handle the load of your current project.

I was impressed with Northern Tool. Some of the stuff is cheaper house branded stuff, but lots of good name branded stuff as well.

If they open a store up in Columbus, I'm going to be bankrupt in short order!!
I have some nice ones on the way. I'm hoping to have them shortly after Christmas. I bought the rear wheels for my TIG cart from the same people on ebay. Low price, USA made, fast shipping, and grease zerks. The ones I got for the gantry are total overkill at 1200lbs rating each, but I was just going for the largest diameter I could find with swivel and brake. I'm hoping the 8" diameter will make it a bit easier to manuever around.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #1169
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
You drilled all those holes by hand with a battery drill?

If you have room get one of these. Super cheap now that everyone wants NC mills.

Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment. I think I have nerve damage in my thumb now. I ran that drill from sunup to sundown and still have a couple to do. Heheheh. I was waiting for the gearbox to explode.

I started drilling them on the drill press, but the main posts are nearly 100 lbs, and are a bit cumbersome to run through the press. I need to fab up an adjustable dead man for this very thing. I just did it the old fashioned way. I almost drilled all 98) 1/4" thick holes with the same holesaw, though! Heheheh. Slow and steady wins the race.

A mill would be very nice. I'm building this gantry to offload another tool I'm picking up in about 2 weeks in Ohio that weighs 2274 lbs. My pimp wad is officially gone. A nice mill will have to wait for a bit.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 08:29 PM
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #1170
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Nice work. But did you get enough penetration? The bead looks a little small for that size of tube, but maybe it's just what I'm used to. I have some .045 that really lays down a nice bead on heavier stuff in one pass.

I was thinking about something like this, but wasn't in a hurry. now, well, I'm more motivated. Lifting heavy stuff is no fun.

My problem is I have a lot more ceiling height. So, of course I want something much taller, which = more steel, which = more expensive.

This guy has a neat setup outside his shop (he's also got mad machining skilz) Check out about 8:50. There is a support on the other side that the beam rests on.

Something like that would be cool inside. I've got about a 12' rafter height to work with.
^ I finally got a chance to check out this guy's video. Very nice craftsmanship! Thank you for embedding the video. I'll have to watch all his other vids now.