ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #106
rawdog
Studly Adventurer
 
rawdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 801
Very cool.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:15 AM   #107
husqvarna
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Darkest Efrika
Oddometer: 128
Sag on the lift

Excellent work with "scrap". I am also a backyard welder / tinkerer / scrap collector.

Could you eliminate some of sag in your lift with a triangle (top upright, 45 degrees down to lifting base) tension member welded or bolted into place? Even a cable, suitably tensioned, would help.
husqvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #108
Poolside
Syndicated
 
Poolside's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 11,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70

To clean up the edges of plasma cut aluminum, a 'vixen' type curved tooth file works really well. Gets rid of the oxide from the plasma cutter, and leaves a bright surface. Any remaining oxide really messes up an aluminum weld.

The curved tooth style is also available without a tang, and mounts in a holder that a cross between a plane and a hacksaw holder.

Here's a couple of links:
http://www.sonex604.com/vixen.html
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...en+file+holder
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...1&q=vixen+file

Bottom of the page. Also in a half round.
http://shorinternational.com/FilesAmericanHand.htm

Small custom holder
http://www.ch601.org/tools/vixen%20file.jpg

Keep up the good work! I'm really enjoying your KLR methodology (meant as a compliment )

__________________

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #109
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
IN!

Top work, Kirk!

Thanks!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #110
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog
Very cool.
Thank you very much!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #111
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Excellent work with "scrap". I am also a backyard welder / tinkerer / scrap collector.

Could you eliminate some of sag in your lift with a triangle (top upright, 45 degrees down to lifting base) tension member welded or bolted into place? Even a cable, suitably tensioned, would help.
Thanks!

Yep, I've been making other people's trash treasure from a young age. It wasn't a choice back than, but it is now. It is fun, isn't it? You can come up with some interesting things with a little thought.

The base is solid, and the sag is in the platform itself. It's sagging at the very end. I did think about a gusset to the lifting arm, but I also don't want to take any room away from working on the side of the bike. I could gusset to the existing arms, but there is no sag there, so I don't think that will make any difference. I would have to gusset to the midway point or back, and that would completely interfere with working room.

I already have a simple solution from studying my Craftsman ATV lift. A spring loaded arm attached to both the outside left and outside right of the lift platform. Gravity may be just fine - spring loading may not even be needed. Solid round stock or similar welded in 2" increments along the L and R end of the base to catch the arm. The arm will click into various positions when raising the lift. Lift a touch higher than needed, then drop the platform a hair to level.

I can fabricate tabs to hold the arms up when lowering the lift.

I think it's the easiest solution and I also think it will provide a great deal of strength and safety, plus allow full access to whatever is being worked on - without creating any kind of tripping hazard.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 10-17-2010 at 05:54 AM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:36 AM   #112
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

To clean up the edges of plasma cut aluminum, a 'vixen' type curved tooth file works really well. Gets rid of the oxide from the plasma cutter, and leaves a bright surface. Any remaining oxide really messes up an aluminum weld.

The curved tooth style is also available without a tang, and mounts in a holder that a cross between a plane and a hacksaw holder.

Here's a couple of links:
http://www.sonex604.com/vixen.html
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...en+file+holder
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...1&q=vixen+file

Bottom of the page. Also in a half round.
http://shorinternational.com/FilesAmericanHand.htm

Small custom holder
http://www.ch601.org/tools/vixen%20file.jpg

Keep up the good work! I'm really enjoying your KLR methodology (meant as a compliment )
...and taken as a compliment! KLRing is a way of life, grasshopper.

Thanks for the links. More tools to add to the want list.

I am currently putting my pennies together for a JD Squared hydraulic tubing bender. That will be my next major purchase.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #113
hilld
riding isn't an addiction
 
hilld's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, OR - raingear or web feet required
Oddometer: 268
Just a dumb question, why don't you turn the platform 90* on the lift, it would get the load closer to the lift. If you need to work on the other side of the bike, you can always turn it around.

This is what I did. Granted, I started with a 2 post car lift, but the idea is the same.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64033
__________________
Every day is a new day
hilld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #114
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld
Just a dumb question, why don't you turn the platform 90* on the lift, it would get the load closer to the lift. If you need to work on the other side of the bike, you can always turn it around.

This is what I did. Granted, I started with a 2 post car lift, but the idea is the same.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64033
Nice thread, and nice workmanship!

I was thinking that spinning the platform 90 degrees would be a major PITA, but after seeing yours mounted on casters, I could see how that would be much more convenient.

I will try my idea first since I am probably less than 2 hours from fabbing that up to completion. A complete rehash may occur if my idea doesn't work as I think it should. A castered platform that can move independently of the lift is pretty slick.

Nice XMT. I looked at those for about 6 months before deciding on two machines. How do you like it?
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #115
Nailhead
Painting by numbers
 
Nailhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 6,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70
There is scrap everywhere if you're looking for it.
You should work on a drilling rig-- the metal that gets thrown away boggles the mind...and clutters the garage.

Great thread, by the way-- you've got me a little closer to parting with the $400 or so for a C25 cylinder.
__________________
-Chris


'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #116
hilld
riding isn't an addiction
 
hilld's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Portland, OR - raingear or web feet required
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70

Nice XMT. I looked at those for about 6 months before deciding on two machines. How do you like it?
I like the XMT a lot. I just got a process selector switch, to allow easy switching between Mig and Tig. Had to modify my cart to allow for the installation and I used Uni-Strut.

I can't do AC Tig on my welder, if I wanted to do that, I would have to step up to a 350, so Aluminum is out on my machine, unless I got a spool gun. Unfortunately, the spoolgun to fit the XMT is almost a grand.

I have my eye out for a nice plasma cutter, I am thinking Hypertherm 45, maybe a 30. Xmas is right around the corner. Hint for Santa.
__________________
Every day is a new day
hilld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #117
Ultra54
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ultra54's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario , Canada
Oddometer: 149
Good work and nice shop. Wouldn't it be nice to have a pipe bender also?Have you rigged up an exhauster? I was thinking of making one out of a bathroom fan. I work in a large shop as a Metal Fabricator, here's a larger project.
Ultra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #118
Gringacho
Una Aventura Loca
 
Gringacho's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Who the hell knows anymore?
Oddometer: 740
Welders

It seems you have been having a lot of success and really like the 252 miller set up you have. Great work.

Have you been using the TIG unit you purchased at all for your projects or just MIG? Have you really felt the need for the TIG?

I'm sure with the use of TIG it would have been a lot slower going for just a hobby welder.

I am currently shopping for a set up and hope to have something by Christmas time. I move around a lot so I'm leaning towards a used miller 135 or 140 so I don't have to worry about 240 V and just do small projects around the house.

When I'm ready to upgrade I figure I can sell the 135 or 140 for what I have in it on craigslist.

Again, nice job with the projects.
Gringacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #119
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead
You should work on a drilling rig-- the metal that gets thrown away boggles the mind...and clutters the garage.

Great thread, by the way-- you've got me a little closer to parting with the $400 or so for a C25 cylinder.
Scrap collectors unite!

Thanks, man!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #120
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra54
Good work and nice shop. Wouldn't it be nice to have a pipe bender also?Have you rigged up an exhauster? I was thinking of making one out of a bathroom fan. I work in a large shop as a Metal Fabricator, here's a larger project.
What in the heck is that exactly? Wow. I imagine the roll up door is just a touch larger? Those lifts are fun to work on. I was on a 60 footer hanging lights on a windy day one time. Talk about pucker factor!

Yep, tubing bender is up next. Probably a model 32 hydraulic JD Squared.

I have a 24" explosion proof shuttered fan tucked away in the building. I need to get it out and rig something up. Maybe that will be next on the list when the lift is complete.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014