Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #1186
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Just found this thread. You have a nice set up there Kirkster70!

I'm thinking of taking the welding course at LFCC that starts up in early January if I can still register. I took a welding class in eight grade and did well but haven't touched a welder since. I assume you took the course at LFCC too.? What did they cover in the class?
I'm mainly interested in tig welding aluminum. I'm starting to look around for a used tig machine but am in no hurry to buy and am open to suggestions on welders and welding.
I have found a couple other welding oriented threads I'll have to go thru and see if I can understand what they are talking about.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Thanks!

Read post #19. I don't remember the instructor's name at the time, but I'd remember it if I heard it again. If he's still there, I'd save the money and put it towards a used red or blue machine. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Transformer-based 250 Syncrowaves are/were the industry standard for years, but you need an 80 - 100A breaker to run them wide open. You can buy a very nice one for $1500, and normally they come with a cooler and consumables. If you don't have that much panel, inverter machines only need 30 amps for 200A output, but are pricey, even when used. A smaller transformer type in the 180A neighborhood will still require a 2-pole 60A, and will limit your weld thickness to about 3/16" single pass.

Most times, budget is the limiting factor. Second is power requirement, which also becomes a budget factor if you need to heavy-up your panel just to power the welder you want.

What you plan on welding will also determine how you need to shop. Like buying a bike, what are your needs? I know it's impossible to know what you will need in a welder just starting out.

Another option is MIG with a spoolgun for aluminum. You won't have the pretty TIG welds, but they will be just as strong if performed properly. Lots and lots of options out there, depending on your needs. I tell everyone to buy used, and buy quality. The original owner already took the depreciation hit. If you bought a quality machine and find it's really not for you, as long as you bought well, you should be able to sell for what you have in it.

Also - if you do like it and decide to upgrade, same as above - it's like money in the bank towards the next one when you sell it. Qualty tools seem to plateau then hold their value. The first TIG I bought was a used Syncrowave 180SD, and I made $300 when I sold it, and there were 3 guys behind him who wanted it.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 02:45 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #1187
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
Hey Kirk! I finished the gun case. It looks JUST like a Liberty!

Yep I slide it down the rug into my APT. I figured out the steel plate costs and I was at about 350 WITHOUT a way to lock it. I got this for 309. I will have to think of something else to weld...

Yeah, sometimes making something costs a bit more than just buying the darn thing. But where's the fun in that? We need to stimulate the economy by supporting the local metal yards.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #1188
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Thanks!

Read post #19. I don't remember the instructor's name at the time, but I'd remember it if I heard it again. If he's still there, I'd save the money and put it towards a used red or blue machine. Of course, that's just my opinion.
I'll check out post #19 after I post this.
Unfortunately they don't list the instructors name.
Maybe I should just put the course $ towards getting a used machine and start playing with it. Between the threads here and all the info on the net and youtube I'm sure I can figure it out. Miller has a couple of nice videos on tig welding with their Diversion models.

Thanks for the info. We should get together for lunch or go riding after the new year.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #1189
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

^ Sounds like a great idea to me!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #1190
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Caster plates cut out of 3/16" plate steel.

4" x 24" Inner A-frame gussetts laid out in the same 3/16" plate. I scrapped the idea of having a low 1" square tube gussett.

Cut out and dressed up with the flap wheel...

...to go here. I don't need to add a provision to slip a jack under for caster installation. I figure I can pin the main post high enough to do the job. I also didn't want to notch the main post to clear a low gussett. The design keeps evolving as I go. Getting there little by little...
Old 12-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #1191
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I'll check out post #19 after I post this.
Maybe I should just put the course $ towards getting a used machine and start playing with it. Between the threads here and all the info on the net and youtube I'm sure I can figure it out. Miller has a couple of nice videos on tig welding with their Diversion models.
Just looked at #19.
Wow, your recommendation is almost word for word what I just typed, and what Jim mentioned in, I think #16!
Alright then, I'll start looking at used welders!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #1192
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I manage to slip into the garage for about an hour today. I need to get this gantry knocked out.

Gussett welded front...

...and back.

Outside, lower adjustment hole notched out for come-along hook clearance.

I think that should be plenty of extra support.

Cheapy, 2-ton come-alongs from Kirk Supply....er - I mean Tractor Supply. Same thing, anymore. One will be used on each side to raise the beam. I need to figure where to put an upper eye so that it doesn't interfere with the adjustment pins. I just hang them in place to brainstorm some ideas.

1/4" thick brackets from a rack tear out at work. I have a couple buckets full. I can trim this up a bit and come up with something decent.

I hope Santa was good to everyone.

Until next time...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 06:43 PM
Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #1193
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post

1/4" thick brackets from a rack tear out at work. I have a couple buckets full. I can trim this up a bit and come up with something decent.

I hope Santa was good to everyone.

Until next time...
Nice brackets. Your guys tear out lots of good stuff!

I got a new welding jacket and the 5 volume set of Arc Welded Projects from the Lincoln Foundation. The first volume was originally printed in 1958. Anyone need plans for a telephone stand!?

Lots of good project plans in the books, including trailer plans, gantries, sawhorses, etc.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #1194
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Merry late Christmas Kirk. I hope you can use your snow machine today.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #1195
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

I got a new welding jacket and the 5 volume set of Arc Welded Projects from the Lincoln Foundation. The first volume was originally printed in 1958. Anyone need plans for a telephone stand!?

Lots of good project plans in the books, including trailer plans, gantries, sawhorses, etc.
I would love to see some scans of images from that book! I really get off on the illustrations, photos, and graphics of anything creative from that era. I make a lot of art out of old Lafayette electronics catalogues.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #1196
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
They are supposed to get blasted down there. Maybe he is out now plowing or just warming it up.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #1197
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:

+1 on the Lincoln Welding books, I inherited a bunch of them and they are excellent.....FWIW they are still in print and are a bargain, many feature old equipment but the ideas, tips, and procedures make them worthwhile

http://www.jflfoundation.com/default.asp
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #1198
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:

Yeah, when I go back on shift, the dumpster is one of my regular visits.

Those books sound great! I wouldn't mind having a set myself! I'll have to look into that.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #1199
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Thanks, Dave! Right back atcha!

Had to work today, and nothing left but a sloppy mess when getting home. Bummer. Maybe I'll have better luck Saturday!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #1200
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Still pluggin' away.

I had to work the last two days, so I try to slip in the garage for at least an hour after a plate of dinner...

Top sleeves that will mount to the I-beam are cut out and drilled for 3/4" mounting hardware. Now I need to make a plate that will weld to this to bolt to the I- beam. Maybe more to see tomorrow...

Oh - I've really been enjoying Keith Fenner's videos on YT. I watched all 7 episodes of the dragbike rear hub rebuild. He does some very impressive work. I only have about another 250 or so to watch.