Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #1306
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
I just found a commercially available gantry with similar dimensions with no lower tie brace... built lighter with the same load rating as mine. (no way it's a 5:1 safety rating)

And another...with telescopic legs, even!

...and another...

...and another...

...and another...

And what do you know? Here's an offset lower tie like I was thinking about earlier.

Yeah. I don't think I'm putting a lower tie on unless I happen to upgrade to a 7" beam and 2ton lift. My current configuration is just fine for it's intended purpose.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 12:30 AM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #1307
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
A couple of cuts here, a few welds there, and you too could have your own crane!

Jim
Only problem being that the few cuts need to happen to the house.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #1308
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Only problem being that the few cuts need to happen to the house.
No problem - just raise the house up!

That shop crane the guy designed and installed is awesome. Wow, indeed.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #1309
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
This is an awesome crane!!!!! Holy crapola!!! What a beauty.

WOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found here... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...235784&page=22

that is sweet- nice little gussets on that lower ring ! It's not actually attached to the building on top is it ? Im sure its just the picture
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #1310
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

This installment is gonna' be short and sweet. I should already be in bed...

^ I did a little brainstorming on the hoist raising itself...

One side complete. Both sides was a little too ambitious. Working nights is bad enough on your body, but burning the candle at both ends is a big no-no. Until next time...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #1311
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
^^^^

NOW you're thinking.

finish the other end before work tomorrow.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #1312
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
This installment is gonna' be short and sweet. I should already be in bed...

^ I did a little brainstorming on the hoist raising itself...

One side complete. Both sides was a little too ambitious. Working nights is bad enough on your body, but burning the candle at both ends is a big no-no. Until next time...

That crane is beautifully made, thanks very much for taking the time to post the updates on it (and your other projects too), highly educational and inspiring, have been following them here daily. I don't think the proposed lifting rig will work well though, the cable tension will put a large horizontal force on the lower pulleys, try to pull the legs together and probably make them bind against the posts as they try to rise...the forces on the upper pulleys are nearly vertical so they will not counteract this. It might not give as much lift as you would like either, if the horizontal cable is pulled up about 5' it only draws about 2' of cable roughly.
(definitely agree on the candle burning bit, did that for too many years between work and school and it eventually caught up with me healthwise, was OK when I backed off a bit)

victor441 screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 10:30 AM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #1313
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Thanks, Victor!

The sketch of the pulleys isn't even close to scale, but was more of an exercise to see how the pulleys would have to be located.

I did a couple more drawings yesterday that were closer to scale, but still not 100% to scale. (measurements of the drawing were based on memory - heheheh!!) But the angles look pretty good, and I think it's definately do-able.

I think it could work if the pulleys are placed properly. So much so that I went to Kirk Supply today () and bought 40' of 1/4" wire rope, thimbles, U-bolts, hooks, and sheave pulleys. I think I can make it work with my current assembly without swapping anything out, turning anything around, or cutting anything apart. Key word being think.

What I will have to do is have a low mounting point for the pulleys closest to the crane hook. In order to do this, I will kill 2 birds with one stone by intalling a low 2"x2" square tube tie brace on the legs. It is better to be safe than sorry. If it makes the pulley idea work, even better.

Gantry is currently 100% functional with come-along adjustment, and I may get to do some load testing tomorrow afternoon. I need to use it Monday evening, but won't have time to try out the crane/pulley height adjustment idea until maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

If I can get this idea to work, it will be the icing on the cake for what will be an already extremely useful tool. If it doesn't work? No biggie. I'll have surplus goodies for the next project when it comes along. Parts is parts.

I have another idea, but it will also require a low tie brace AND removing the mid tie that I already have welded in place. I may go to this idea if my current idea doesn't work. It requires a pulley inside the post at the very bottom. Hook the end of the cable outside on the current come-along mount, route the cable under the post pulley, go straight across to the other side and do the same. This is a very simple idea that I know would work, but I don't feel like cutting my welds apart. I'll do it if I have to, but only after idea #1 fails...

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 02:48 PM
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #1314
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Alright, boys and girls, I have some VERY COOL piccys to share!!!!! I'm finally off night shift for now, so now I can roll again!!!

Wheels are a tad taller than manufacturer's specs, plus I upgraded the caster mounts, so we're kissing the weatherstripping on the way out of the garage. No worries.

Come-alongs work great to fully extend gantry. 9' 11" to underside of beam. I forgot to measure the actual working height on hook, but I would guess 8' 6" or so. Not as high as I had wanted, but it's about as good as I can expect while still slipping into a 7' roll-up door.

Yet another "I can't believe I built this!" moment. This may just trump the Tundra bumper build, which I never thought I could do.

Load test #1. Why play around with little weights? Let's go for the whole ball of wax out of the chute. If you look closely, you'll see a 3/8" beam clamp on each side of the trolley. Since the driveway isn't 100% level, the trolley will want to run downhill under load. Beam clamps keep that from happening.

Does this gantry make my rear end look fat? Hoist sound didn't even change in pitch. No noticable flex on legs or I-beam. Locked casters did not budge one bit. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just by guessing, this is likely in the 2,000 lb +/- neighborhood.

And how about a 2 for 1 load test. Let's see if I can rip the bumper off the Tundra. Success!!!!!! This is likely a 2,500lb +/- load.

Dress rehearsal is over. Main event is tomorrow after a 12 hour road trip. Paint will have to wait...

More brainstorming sketches that are a bit closer to scale...

I'm pretty sure this will work, and if it does, it will be the cherry on top.

Another trip to Kirk Supply for goodies to try out my idea. 1/4" wire rope, hooks, sheaves, U-bolts and thimbles. This idea will have to wait for a bit before I get a chance to try it out. It's been an epic day in Rookie Weldor Land. Until next time!!!!!

Beer me!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 02:32 PM
Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #1315
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,774
Nice job!

Glad the front bumper mount held.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #1316
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
Hell of a job for a rookie! And the stress you put on the shackles on that bumper REALLY put it to the test! you are pulling to towards each other, not just up! I was going to suggest picking up a motorcycle...if you didn't sell them all.
oh and here ya go...
Quote:
Just by guessing, this is likely in the 2,000 lb +/- neighborhood.

Beer me!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1317
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,390
Great job man! Good luck tomorrow!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #1318
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,411
Nice job. That crane is flippin sweet too

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #1319
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Great job man! Good luck tomorrow!

Jim
Thanks, Jim. It was a looooooooooooooong trip.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #1320
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Nice job. That crane is flippin sweet too
Thanks, Sailah! It's a beast.