ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #121
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringacho
It seems you have been having a lot of success and really like the 252 miller set up you have. Great work.

Have you been using the TIG unit you purchased at all for your projects or just MIG? Have you really felt the need for the TIG?

I'm sure with the use of TIG it would have been a lot slower going for just a hobby welder.

I am currently shopping for a set up and hope to have something by Christmas time. I move around a lot so I'm leaning towards a used miller 135 or 140 so I don't have to worry about 240 V and just do small projects around the house.

When I'm ready to upgrade I figure I can sell the 135 or 140 for what I have in it on craigslist.

Again, nice job with the projects.
Thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately, I have only used the TIG for practicing on for about 10 hours. I haven't made a single thing with it. Everything has been made with the 252, which is an awesome machine.

The ability to TIG is a desireable skill to have, but I've been having so much fun with the MIG that the TIG is just collecting dust. I used it for one week, and it hasn't been plugged in since. I've actually been thinking about selling it to buy the tubing bender I want, but that may be a foolish decision. I can start practicing on the TIG if I ever get any downtime between my low buck projects, but I have 3 projects lined up right now after the lift, so that may not happen any time soon.

The TIG offers more precise control of everything with zero spatter and zero cleanup if performed properly. I bought a big MIG and what's considered to be a small TIG, because I figured I would use the TIG (when I learn how to do it) on things like exhaust, etc. and the MIG on thicker materials. TIG would have been the preferred method for the seams on the bags I just made, and if the welds were done properly, you don't grind them down.

So MIG and TIG both have their place, but for everything I have done to date, I have used the MIG with good results. If I had it to do over again, would I buy the TIG again? Yeah, probably, because I know it's something that I want to try to learn still.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #122
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo
 
Captain Beardylocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Birthplace of the Revolution (MA)
Oddometer: 7,351
the first of probably many n00b questions....

So I'm looking at either a Millermatic 140 or Lincoln power-mig 140c welder to start out with. Both fit my needs of being relatively compact, using a regular electrical outlet and aluminum capable with minor adjustments. does anyone around here have experience with either, or is there a consensus on the relative quality of miller vs. lincoln? The Millermatic is about ~$100 more expensive, I assume due to the auto-set feature. Is this really convenient enough to merit the extra price?

Those are just the two models that were most readily available, so if there's something else out there to look into I'd definitely like to hear about it. Any other suggestions/general advice as far as what I should be thinking about as far as getting equipment together would be great also.

Thanks all!
__________________
Livin' on the road, my friend, was gonna keep you free and clean...
Captain Beardylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #123
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beardylocks
So I'm looking at either a Millermatic 140 or Lincoln power-mig 140c welder to start out with. Both fit my needs of being relatively compact, using a regular electrical outlet and aluminum capable with minor adjustments. does anyone around here have experience with either, or is there a consensus on the relative quality of miller vs. lincoln? The Millermatic is about ~$100 more expensive, I assume due to the auto-set feature. Is this really convenient enough to merit the extra price?

Those are just the two models that were most readily available, so if there's something else out there to look into I'd definitely like to hear about it. Any other suggestions/general advice as far as what I should be thinking about as far as getting equipment together would be great also.

Thanks all!
I don't have any experience with either (and yet to weld anything) but I've been heavily researching this for a while now. Hoping to get one for myself for Christmas. Anyhow, I didn't check on the Miller due to being more than I want to pay. But I've found very good reviews on the Lincoln 140. Some call it the MIG-Pak 140, power-mig 140 and another name or two, but all the same machine.

I'm just waiting for one to go on sale at the 4-5 local places that sell them. Reg price I'm finding is about the 600ish range. Sale price can be 150 less.

Cheers,
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #124
Ultra54
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ultra54's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario , Canada
Oddometer: 149
Unfortunately my garage at home isn't the best so I set up a shop in my basement. For welding I was thinking of rigging up a bathroom ceiling fan that fits in the opening in my basement window and running a 6 inch hose from it to my work piece. Another excellent piece of equipment I use is a roll for forming sheet and plate steel.
Ultra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #125
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra54
Unfortunately my garage at home isn't the best so I set up a shop in my basement. For welding I was thinking of rigging up a bathroom ceiling fan that fits in the opening in my basement window and running a 6 inch hose from it to my work piece. Another excellent piece of equipment I use is a roll for forming sheet and plate steel.
I wouldn't use a fan and 6in tube for anything more than a soldering station. We have that in our Hangar at work. For welding, one needs a lot more ventilation than that to do it safely.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #126
Gringacho
Una Aventura Loca
 
Gringacho's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Who the hell knows anymore?
Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beardylocks
So I'm looking at either a Millermatic 140 or Lincoln power-mig 140c.......

Thanks all!
I'm looking at the same welders.........Plenty of information over here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210053

I believe to originator of the thread actually works for Lincoln as a welding engineer so he could help you out with all your technically questions in regards to the Lincoln.
Gringacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #127
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo
 
Captain Beardylocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Birthplace of the Revolution (MA)
Oddometer: 7,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringacho
I'm looking at the same welders.........Plenty of information over here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210053

I believe to originator of the thread actually works for Lincoln as a welding engineer so he could help you out with all your technically questions in regards to the Lincoln.
Sweet! I'll go dig through that one a bit....
__________________
Livin' on the road, my friend, was gonna keep you free and clean...
Captain Beardylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #128
Keithy
Chaotically Keith
 
Keithy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Leeds England
Oddometer: 283
I have the Powermax 900 with a machine torch on my CNC plasma table....Way easier for cutting profiles......And a super sweet machine a Hypertherm is too!

That workshop is way too tidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70


Here is a used plasma cutter I scooped on ebay after getting some advice from some inmates. It makes fabrication much easier.

I made the cart from all the free scrap metal I mentioned earlier. The wheels are from a broken dolly that I had packratted away. I knew being a hoarder would eventually pan out.

The top of the cart is from a scrap side panel from a piece of industrial switchgear from an upgrade. I cut it with the plasma cutter.

I have since rattlecanned it satin black with Rustoleum.
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #129
Keithy
Chaotically Keith
 
Keithy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Leeds England
Oddometer: 283
Excellent work on the boxes!
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #130
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
this thing saves so much time, i made a beadbreaker that works so good now all the neighbors come by and use it!

kubiak screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 09:49 PM
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #131
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
heres one more easy project. i welded a rod to my work stand then put carpet over to keep the wheels nice. it makes changing tires easy on the back for sure.

kubiak screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 09:49 PM
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #132
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak
heres one more easy project. i welded a rod to my work stand then put carpet over to keep the wheels nice. it makes changing tires easy on the back for sure.
oh and a cheap truing stand under the table in the pic i made out of scrap to lace and true rims and balance my tires.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #133
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy
Excellent work on the boxes!
Thanks! They were pretty fun to make. I'll probably pick up another sheet of aluminum in a week or so to make some more goodies.

Yeah, the shop isn't nearly as squeaky clean as those early photos, but I do try to sweep up every day. It's better than letting everything turn to crap and then spending an entire weekend cleaning up and putting things where they belong.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #134
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak
oh and a cheap truing stand under the table in the pic i made out of scrap to lace and true rims and balance my tires.
Great ideas, kubiak!

You do some very, very nice work. I was looking at the supermoto XRs you were building. Top shelf work there. That extended fuel tank you made is very nice.

The black and white color scheme is superb! As are the CBR (I think?) rims machined to fit. Absolutely beautiful!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #135
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70
Great ideas, kubiak!

You do some very, very nice work. I was looking at the supermoto XRs you were building. Top shelf work there. That extended fuel tank you made is very nice.

The black and white color scheme is superb! As are the CBR (I think?) rims machined to fit. Absolutely beautiful!
thank you kirkster70! my xr changes like the seasons, right now its all about traveling, heres the latest pic of it.

kubiak screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 09:49 PM
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014