ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #1441
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I got that covered!

See you tomorrow!

Jim

PS Looking great!
Sounds like a plan! Thanks!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #1442
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I stopped by and met Kirk today, talked about steel, welding, bikes, etc., and saw those boxes. They are SWEET! You're going to love them Jim.

Nice meeting you Kirk.

I'll be keeping in contact.
Good meeting you today, Bob! I enjoyed hanging out with you. I get the feeling that this is going to be a very good year!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #1443
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
...taking inmate input and running with it...

2) Sheetmetal fab. books ordered today.

5) Welding books from the Lincoln Foundation ordered today.

lots to read and lots to learn!

Deburring tool ordered today.


...and something I've been wanting that will make my life WAY easier - a 50 foot, 50A welding extension cord so I don't have to play musical chairs with all the junk on my driveway when I want to do a couple welds outside!

^ Plus, I've been wanting to do a very ornate privacy screen under the deck, and would prefer to mock it up in place. The cord will get me there. Kewlness!!

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 05:34 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #1444
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Good meeting you today, Bob! I enjoyed hanging out with you. I get the feeling that this is going to be a very good year!
Here, here!

Speaking of deburring tools...I just bought a deburring tool yesterday. My very first dremel!
I was perfectly happy with my stone axe and Clovis point knife but the guys in the XRL thread shamed my into it.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #1445
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Grenada - MS....... not the Island!!!!
Oddometer: 209
Kirk

You will enjoy the sheet metal books - Although you may wish you had never seen them once you flip thru them and realize how many more tools you dont have!! Some things you can make and some you will have to buy. Funny thing I have found is that you need lots of wood working stuff to do metal work - you will see !!
__________________
CaptTeach

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #1446
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
We can zap screw a set to the side of your car!

Thank you very much!
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #1447
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
...and something I've been wanting that will make my life WAY easier - a 50 foot, 50A welding extension cord so I don't have to play musical chairs
you didn't make one? I am surprised!
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #1448
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
you didn't make one? I am surprised!
By time you buy the cord and the cord caps, you can buy two pre-made extension cords.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 08:47 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #1449
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
Kirk

You will enjoy the sheet metal books - Although you may wish you had never seen them once you flip thru them and realize how many more tools you dont have!! Some things you can make and some you will have to buy. Funny thing I have found is that you need lots of wood working stuff to do metal work - you will see !!

Oh yeah. I already know about the "bucks". Just as much time goes into making those as goes into the metal forming. Maybe more.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #1450
100mpg
This sentance intent
 
100mpg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: ionally finished in this space.
Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
By time you by the cord and the cord caps, you can buy two pre-made extension cords.
not nearly the quality you can make yourself. Made a few power cords for the generators and they are HD. But, hey, this ain't the rookie extension cord makers thread so you get a pass. one pass.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #1451
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
not nearly the quality you can make yourself. Made a few power cords for the generators and they are HD. But, hey, this ain't the rookie extension cord makers thread so you get a pass. one pass.


Plus I won't have the fancy illuminated ends if I make them myself!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #1452
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Grenada - MS....... not the Island!!!!
Oddometer: 209
When I got my TIG - I bought a spool of romex to make the long run from the box to my work area. An extra set of plug ends and I made an extension cord to get me all around the work area. It was cheaper to get the spool at contractor price vs buying just what I needed to make the two runs I was adding - One for the Welders and one for the central unit in the paint booth
__________________
CaptTeach

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #1453
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
When I got my TIG - I bought a spool of romex to make the long run from the box to my work area. An extra set of plug ends and I made an extension cord to get me all around the work area. It was cheaper to get the spool at contractor price vs buying just what I needed to make the two runs I was adding - One for the Welders and one for the central unit in the paint booth
I'll pass on the Romex idea.

Not a heavy enough jacket to be lying on the floor doing extension cord duty.

Plus, it's not very flexible.

SO or SJ cord is what I would use, but it's expensive. Buy the cord and the proper end caps, and you're easily at double what you can buy premade for. And that's just material prices - not counting a second of your time running around gathering everything up. The big brown truck will put one on my front porch that's ready-to-use for half price.

Plus, if I ever get a camper with a 50A plug, I can use it there as well! Always thinking ahead. Heheheh
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #1454
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,067
Spent a couple hours with Kirk today. What a great guy, and very generous!

I am really looking forward to seeing the bags and rack done after seeing them welded up. They look better in person than they do in photos! Can't wait!

Thanks for the swag (lots of hardware and steel), it will come in very handy!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #1455
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie
 
kirkster70's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Spent a couple hours with Kirk today. What a great guy, and very generous!

I am really looking forward to seeing the bags and rack done after seeing them welded up. They look better in person than they do in photos! Can't wait!

Thanks for the swag (lots of hardware and steel), it will come in very handy!

Jim
Aww, shucks.

Good finally meeting you today, Jim! It's good to see the face behind the username. 2 inmates met in as many days. It's going to be a great year.

These bags will look awesome on your GS. I'm hoping to start your rack fabrication sometime Wednesday or Thursday. More piccys then...
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014