ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #2941
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
Super fun, easy ride with four big bikes today (well, 3 big bikes and one crazy fun toy of a 250)! Pretty gravel and single lane tarmac was just what I needed.

Major thanks to jgormley for leading and for letting me try out the WR. Holy cow is it a tall bike! He still has the lowering link and I couldn't flatfoot it (and really, I'm a giant for a girl). And the seat, it makes a 2x4 seem like a Barcalounger. It inspires such confidence, throwing it into corners. Jerry, you're gonna love that thing!

Kudos to the KTM rider, sporting a hi-viz jacket and shorts (!) on the wheelie wave.

T and I encountered a bit of scene on our way headed back east at the intersection of Snake Hill and 102. A fire engine was blocking the intersection with a cop sorta directing traffic. A car had its passenger side moved into the drivers side and a bike was lying in a blackened tangle next to a metal barrier. The cop at the intersection told me the guy was ok (broken leg, ambulance was still there). T spoke with friends of the rider so he has the info on what actually happened. It sorta freaked me out a bit.

On a happier note, I've decided I'm in love with the Transalp. It doesn't toss me around like a ragdoll on the highway and it slides nicely on the gravel. I think I may be ready to notch up a couple hundred CCs and enjoy the sofa-like comforts of a twin. I wonder if we both ride TAs if we'll start to look alike. The horror.

Only one drop...it's caught on video. cheese's bike was unscathed as I managed to somehow keep the heavy beastie upright on the same hill.

Got passed by a purple Harley, completed with hardbags, on Route 6. Safe-in-his-manhood rider was wearing a leather vest with Rhode Island Hell's Angels patch. It never ceases to cause great peals of laughter, thinking of Hell's Angels in little Rhody. Watch out, we might just drop an R on you!

Water & pee break, Thomas Parker Road (or what I call the Rhododendron Arboretum which is completely made up)

It was a little bit on the dry side

Barden Reservoir (bridge was 'out' and road was closed...when the hell did that happen as this is typically on my circuit?!)

Canada Geese neatly lined up as only the Canadians can do. Perhaps a sign I really should try to get up to NB this summer?

jgormley on his wee WR, making it look easy (really, do you even need to pick a line?_

Delectably easy roads made for a real release today...just what the doctor ordered.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #2942
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,571
Glad to hear both rides went well! It was a bit warm and humis out but I had a great time out there today. Thanks to Rob and Rockpile for showing us some new stuff too!

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #2943
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Great fun today riding with lolita, tmlee, and tkeskin...
Thanks for coming out!

Here we are at the meet up point...
IMG_0418

Another shot of the ducks all in a row...
IMG_0420

lolita waiting for something to happen...
IMG_0428

Lots of fun at the George Washington hill climb...
tmlee makes it look easy, t helps make it a DOR, lolita shows her stubborn side, and I enjoy the ride...

BBDOR 7-15-12 from Jerry Gormley on Vimeo.

After we split up, tmlee and I hit Wille Woodhead road, fun to watch the v-strom go through there until this...
IMG_0434

No damage done... so it was a good day!
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #2944
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post

After we split up, tmlee and I hit Wille Woodhead road, fun to watch the v-strom go through there until this...
IMG_0434

No damage done... so it was a good day!
Friggin sand. I thought tkeskin had paid sufficient tithe to the Drop-O-Rama gods earlier in the ride. Oh well.
- Robert Frost

tmlee screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 05:34 PM
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #2945
tkeskin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlee View Post
Friggin sand. I thought tkeskin had paid sufficient tithe to the Drop-O-Rama gods earlier in the ride. Oh well.

I wish I was there to see that big V-strom going down..

By the way, I was just trying to drop the bike at least once today to keep the big bike ride more exciting than small bike ride..

And that accident scene ruined the rest of my ride..Rider was on the ground about 20 yards away from his bike, and the bike didnt look good, I couldnt even tell what kind of a bike it was. His friends told me that his brakes failed and went thru the red light and hit the car head on. And he had no helmet or no protection. His friends also said he had a broken leg and was talking after the crash which was good to hear. But I am having a hard time to believe that someone can get a away from a crash like that just with a broken leg. But I really hope he does.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #2946
Bob Q
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Alcontrast

What new stuff? what did I miss?
Bob Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #2947
Bob Q
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Looks like the big bike ride was a hoot also, I hate when I miss fun stuff :(
Bob Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #2948
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post

Watch out, we might just drop an R on you!

Have you ever scootered by their compound at the corner of wendell and messer?

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #2949
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Q View Post
Alcontrast

What new stuff? what did I miss?

Well, I put together a short video. I cut it down to the interesting parts, hope you find it a little entertaining.

akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #2950
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Cool video Rob,, why did you only get me in the sections where I was going slow??

Rob here is the cush hub you need. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731826

mrt10x screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 08:21 AM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #2951
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,586
Thanks, I was trying to let you guys go ahead, but Al kept stopping and waving me on. Not sure if he likes me leading or just likes staying off camera. I'm happy to eat dust and let the other riders set the pace too. I just remembered that I may have one more clip that I forgot to put in the video. It's worth a chuckle if I can get it.

Just a reminder, the Camp-n-Ride is next weekend (not this coming one). If you want to have a great weekend of camping, riding and relaxing - come on by. It's an open invitation. Camp-n-Ride thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777479
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #2952
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Well, I put together a short video. I cut it down to the interesting parts, hope you find it a little entertaining.

Loved the commentary. Bugs!!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #2953
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Have you ever scootered by their compound at the corner of wendell and messer?

No but the one in Bridgeport frequently! They're great guys and for a small donation I heard you could get THINGS done!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #2954
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Cool video Rob,, why did you only get me in the sections where I was going slow??

Rob here is the cush hub you need. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731826
At this point Matt speed is not what your looking for, concentrate on body position, clutch and throttle control until you really get used to the bike!

Not that I know anything about that stuff!

You guys looked good! I am missing out on some serious riding! Thrill and Chill. local stuff with new guys and Al! I'm freakin dying over here!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #2955
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Great ride today. No horror stories, although we did almost have to call the Coast Guard to air lift me out of that hole I found. Despite the oppressive heat index, it was a really enjoyable time.
I hit that same hole on my DRZ when I was alone. Took me a while to get out! I was afraid I was gonna have to hike back to Green Falls to get my wife and truck.