ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #2956
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,571
Nice vid Rob! I didn't even realize you were filming! You have that clandestine in the google camera don't you!?!? I'll get out in front more next time, I was just letting you guys ride at your own pace!

If you bring out the 990 to do some off-roadish stuff one day at the Camp-n-Ride I'll break out my helmet cam and try to keep up with you on my DRZ!

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #2957
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post

......why did you only get me in the sections where I was going slow??

Here's your landing off the dirt ramp...just tell everyone you had it pinned in 6th.....

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #2958
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Then there's this guy....rockpile?....attempting to fly without a pilot's license!

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #2959
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
At this point Matt speed is not what your looking for, concentrate on body position, clutch and throttle control until you really get used to the bike!
Matt threw his clutch in the shit can, rolling on a Recluse now. As far as he goes, my best advise would be to practice keeping your feet on the pegs. Just enjoy the ride and focus on keeping the feet planted. As I was following you, you were paddling with the feet and mine were on the pegs. I was even hitting extra stuff for fun. Occasionally you really need to put a foot down to keep yourself up, but it's not nearly as often as you think.

Rockpile is something else. That guy can ride the hell out of that TW200. I see him do things on that bike that just aren't meant to be done. I think his whole bike is worth about as much as Matt's GPS. I fondly remember the day I ran into him on a frozen winter day out in the middle of Mt Misery. He's just riding all over, like usual - only there's a foot of snow and ice everywhere. No big deal.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #2960
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
In my paddling defense that was the tight section after green falls that I have only done once before... and it is slow and tight.. a combination of things I havent quite figured out yet.. I doubt I paddled much other than that section. Guess there is no way to buy my way out of my 12 months of offroad riding experience.. too bad I certainly continue to learn how to weight the pegs at the right moments, and to trust my suspension more. The unexpected whiskey throttle is still my biggest problem.. weight shifts back unexpectedly and I roll on the throttle at the exact wrong time.. too much bike for my limited abilities.. still hope to grow into it. I have considered going back to the DRZ, for the tamer power, but I feel the increase in performance in the suspension of the Husaberg and the lighter weight are enough of an advantage and I just need to learn to tame the power a bit. That is also why I like to follow Rob and others.. try and watch what you all do.. unfortunately I cant keep up You all look so freaking comfortable on your bikes.. I feel like I am holding on for dear life at times.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #2961
akarob
Green Cantern

Not sure how I forgot to process this little gem, but here ya go. I was laughing for real when T was just sideways in the trail, spinning the tire with zero cooperation from the bike whatsoever.

Mind you, this is the woeful rut in a part of the loop that's rarely taken. It's a left turn and you go through a half mile or so of single track down into the swamp of woe. Luckily it wasy dry, and that rut Mr T got himself hung up on is the worst rut on the loop, by far. You go into this rut when it's wet, you are going to have a bad bad time. Then, it's down into the swampy area. It gets baaaad.

The rut...

Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #2962
akarob
Green Cantern

Next time we can switch bike for a while. I'd enjoy trying the chainsaw clutch for the first time, and with that cush wheel, I don't even know what to expect. I'd be taking it very mellow, for a few miles maybe. I really like the way my bike works so I can't imagine changing really. It'll be weird for sure.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #2963
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,571
I was a several feet behind Rob at the end of that video clip and even without hearing Rob's live commentary, "yeah yeah; spin spin!" I was laughing in my helmet at Rob's attempt to deflect MRT10x's roost with his hand.. It's always fun riding with Rob!

I think you are both (Mr. T and akarob) running a trials tire on the rear, Rob for quite a while now; assuming you still are Rob, I didn't really pay attention on the ride.. However it seemed like that rear tire in the muddy rut was what got Matt hung up there for a few seconds.. So what's the overall impression on that set up now? It seems like it would be great on dry dirt/rocks/roots but lacking in the mud and wearing prematurely on fast pavement but I've never ridden with a rear trials tire so I'm just guessing...

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #2964
akarob
Green Cantern

Yea, I still have a trials tire on the rear. It actually lasts far longer on the pavement - 2 to 3 times longer than a standard knobby. It's weakness is definitely the mud but it's good enough for casual riding. Some of the mud at the enduros can get nasty and you'ld want a real knobby.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #2965
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Here's your landing off the dirt ramp...just tell everyone you had it pinned in 6th.....

The other thing I dont understand is how the bike looks so small in the picture but feels so freakin BIG when riding it.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #2966
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
This is why Matt!

The other thing I dont understand is how the bike looks so small in the picture but feels so freakin BIG when riding it.

Happy Seal screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 05:10 PM
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #2967
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

wait are you calling me fat or shallow??
Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #2968
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
What is up with the FMF Q4 Muffler and exhaust header on my bike...

Does this provide more power and if I put the stock muffler and exhaust back on I would lose a lot of performance?

I sometimes feel I should throttle back through neighborhoods just to keep the noise down....
also the header expansion chamber doesn't have a shield and I can feel a fair amount of heat while riding...
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #2969
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post

Does this provide more power and if I put the stock muffler and exhaust back on I would lose a lot of performance?

I sometimes feel I should throttle back through neighborhoods just to keep the noise down....
also the header expansion chamber doesn't have a shield and I can feel a fair amount of heat while riding...
I would ask that question over in the WRR thread in the Thumpers forum.. or on thumpertalk.com I bet someone has dyno'd that exact modification and can tell you exactly how many HP you have gained.. you also probably would add a few lbs putting the stock system back on. Also,, I bet they make a quite tip or insert for that system.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #2970
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post

Yes it does!
Yes it does!
And Yes it will!

All normal and they do boost power. The only problem taking it back to stock is your gonna lose power and you may have to reprogram computer. Or whatever controls mixture!

Can't be louder than Als' DRZ!