ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #46
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg
will a small bike (klx250) be able to keep up with this group when on the road? I have a friend who may be interested in riding his vstrom, and I'd like to ride along, but the 250 is all i got. i would probably only do the pachaug/arcadia sections. i think it all depends if my friend has to work or not.
I'll be on a 400; I'm happy to hang back with you but I don't think we're going to be blasting through (this may be the girl coming out). At least I hope not. But then again, if tmlee is leading, we'll be going fast. And if you veer off-course, he won't notice and he'll leave you lying in a ditch with a bike on top of you
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #47
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita
I'll be on a 400; I'm happy to hang back with you but I don't think we're going to be blasting through (this may be the girl coming out). At least I hope not. But then again, if tmlee is leading, we'll be going fast. And if you veer off-course, he won't notice and he'll leave you lying in a ditch with a bike on top of you

i'm not worried about the dirt road parts, just the real roads (i.e. hard surface). the 250 doesn't have a whole lot of top end, especially with the knobbies...
Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #48
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg
i'm not worried about the dirt road parts, just the real roads (i.e. hard surface). the 250 doesn't have a whole lot of top end, especially with the knobbies...

well you will be so far ahead after the dirt sections we will just catch you on the road
Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #49
Cobia235
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Is the middle of nowhere diner on the section of route 3 between 165 and 102? Been a while since I have been over that way, thanks gene.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #50
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,546
Middle Of NoWhere Diner...

222 Nooseneck Hill Rd, Exeter, RI 02822

I was here one day last year and some boisterous locals I think were trying to intimidate my gf and I by overly loudly saying things like, "Probably the first time the city kids ever saw a couple ol' swamp yankees".. I suppose that's what I get for driving a Subaru! It's a great little diner though and honestly shit like that going down only makes it better in my eyes..

PS.. yeah, that's exactly the spot you mnetioned Cobia.. on Route 3, just south of Exit 5 off I95..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #51
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Yankee
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #52
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 512
Middle of Nowhere Diner

The food really is excellent diner food, really.

Located in Exeter, RI on Rt 3 - between Routes 102 and 165.

Middle of Nowhere Diner - at the "A" on the map.
222 Nooseneck Hill Road
Exeter, RI
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #53
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita
But then again, if tmlee is leading, we'll be going fast. And if you veer off-course, he won't notice and he'll leave you lying in a ditch with a bike on top of you
Careful now, there two sides to every story. Remember, I was the one trying to keep up with you - and falling behind!
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #54
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,127
shame that its sunday... as I have a birthday to go to, and the weatherman says it'll be a crap day

if you end up going on saturday instead....I may drag out the XRL

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #55
Dachary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
We're out

Unfortunately, we're out. Looks like Max BMW will be picking up our bikes on Sat morning to go over them before our big trip. We probably won't have them back until mid-to-late week next week, and definitely not before the 24th. Am annoyed at the timing.

If you guys do anything else before it gets too crazy cold, let us know! I still really want to hit more dirt before I go, but the end of the riding season is drawing close quickly. Have fun and safe riding to the folks who are going this weekend!
BOS -> CO - 2 dogs in a Ural - 2012
Find us on SPOT
Dachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #56
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
I'm out too... No more vacation for employees
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #57
HeyDoc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Thumb

I spent some time pre-riding the Natchaug forest yesterday. I found 2 good dirt roads and 2 rocky, unmaintained trails that are reasonable, and open to vehicles. Not a continuous loop and not a lot of total mileage, but fun. We can decide Sunday if anyone is interested in riding up this way (about 30 miles NW of Pachaug). I live near by and will be happy to lead a group.
HeyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #58
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,401
That's great of you, I think that would make an awesome ride.

We'll probably find a place for some post dump-o-rama refreshments in Willi.

Of course, we'll see if the weather cooperates. Crossing my fingers for a nice day.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #59
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,546
I'm hoping for clear weather more than anyone..

as of tonight the forecast for Sunday in my area (central CT) is: "Few Showers :: Precip: 30%.." Not too bad but not exactly promising...

I'm down for riding there on the DRZ (the bmw still has some electrical issues) if it's just an isolated rain showers sort of day.. Anything more than that I may bow out.. Even then if there is enough rider response here I may fight it out and suffer through the weather to ride with the group!

Whatever happens thanks to HeyDoc for doing some prep-work on a Natchaug area section after the southern CT/RI ride....

I myself am still also into leading a ride in the central CT (East Haddam, Colchester, Chester, etc) area the following weekend.. 95% any bike friendly, although slow going at times if you ride a sport bike with no dirt experience.... There will be a few puddles and rocks that would make the route more appropriate for a moderately dual sport oriented bike. Like HeyDoc I did a little route reconnaissance the other day and I took video while on the ride.. I can post that up to show people the worst of the worst on the route I had planned..

but hoefully this sunday ends up mostly clear and beautiful autumn riding weather..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #60
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Well I will be there either way.. assuming I dont get blown off the Newport Bay Bridge coming over. If it is too rainy I will bail out at some point, but I will be at the diner either way in the morning.