LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,388
Doran Tire Pressure Monitor on R1200GS

R1200GS Instrument Panel BEFORE Doran Tire Pressure Monitor Installed:
Photobucket

Doran Tire Pressure Monitor:
1.7" wide x 1.95" high x 1.40" deep
2 Leads- 1 for Black/Red power...1 for LED RED Alert Button.
I removed the bright shiny Stainless Steel 'cover plate'...re-painted satin black to eliminate GLARE potential.

Photobucket

Doran Tire Pressure Monitor Installed Using TechMounts Handlebar Mount with 3 1/2" Arm and 5/8" Bushing for the UPPER crossbar.
Also painted the mounting plate black.
Photobucket

Side view of the TechMounts mount:
Photobucket

TechMounts Mount viewed from the front through the windshield:
Update Note: I painted the BACK of the RED indicator (shown in picture) BLACK after test riding after installation.
Sunlight was illuminating the RED indicator from behind.
Photobucket

Finally, Doran TPM when you initially turn on...RED LED indicator (part of pkg) flashes until the monitor receives a 'signal' from each of the Tire Pressure Sensors. This is supposed to be VIDEO...

This is also the ALERT that would be seen if low pressure levels develop.
Video...click on link!

http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/u...eoREDLight.mp4

Doran Tire Pressure Monitor SENSOR:
3 Things to notice:
1. STEEL valve stem...Doran recommends against using the RUBBER stem.
2. LOCKING collar...prevents 'collectors' from adding to their collection. 3 tiny set screws are used to lock sensor onto stem. PITA to have to untighten when you want to ADD air! Doran says you don't have to use...if you lose them...you can always buy more from them at $25 each!
3. SENSOR...relative size
Photobucket

Full ride report..when I have a chance to actually ride.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 09:10 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,668
Do you have photos of the wheel install?

I have a friend who has this monitor, and it is a great unit. He installed his beside the speedo, and sending units inside the rim.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,377
I'm using mine on the 800GS with tubed tires. I put the sensor on the valve stem. It's great and works flawlessly.

Why do you have an additional red LED? The unit itself already has one, that's supposed to be used for remote installation.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
rrmdeuce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Valve stem

I heard or read somewhere that the extra weight on the valve stem has caused some of the valve stems to leak and/or break. Any truth is this?
rrmdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

I have a metal valve stem, not the rubber ones. On my 1200GS I had the Doran tire pressure sensors for about 20,000 km, and now another 15,000 km on my 800GS which also has metal valve stems from the inner tubes, no issues.

I want to say that they can also be mounted internally, but I'm not sure about that.. I have a whole bunch of extra hardware in the Doran box but I prefer external mounts.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Jim,
Energy was running low last night when I was installing but I'll also take some pictures of the SENSORS today and post. I mounted mine on the outside on the straight STEEL valve stems provided. Post soon.

I wasn't 'sure' about the internal installation...thought if there was any kind of problem with the system...I'd have to TAKE OFF/REINSTALL the tires to investigate. Maybe when I have more experience with the unit and need new tires (again)...they'll go on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Do you have photos of the wheel install?

I have a friend who has this monitor, and it is a great unit. He installed his beside the speedo, and sending units inside the rim.

Jim

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 08:16 AM
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

I installed the RED LED right in the line of sight with the speedo (yes...redundant) in case that I wouldn't notice the smaller/less visible? monitor light go on. It came with the unit...why not install it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I'm using mine on the 800GS with tubed tires. I put the sensor on the valve stem. It's great and works flawlessly.

Why do you have an additional red LED? The unit itself already has one, that's supposed to be used for remote installation.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Doran HIGHLY recommends replacing the RUBBER valve stems with either of the straight or 90 degree STEEL valve stems they provide. I also had the valve stems/sensors installed (on the outside) when I purchased new Tourances and had the tires/stems/sensors balanced, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmdeuce
I heard or read somewhere that the extra weight on the valve stem has caused some of the valve stems to leak and/or break. Any truth is this?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmdeuce
ABSOLUTELY, do NOT use on rubber valve stems unless you are excellent at controlling the bike from a rapid air pressure loss.

Mine are installed (GSA) on the inside of the tire, might be a better place if your gonna ride in rough conditions where the extra bulkly sensor might get caught by shrubs. It would require removing the tire to replace the sensor when the battery dies, but better than the sensor being torn off if you off road ride a lot.

Oh, and you can wire it directly to the battery so it is always ON, it doesn't draw that much power if you drive the bike once in a while. The advantage is that you can press the button to see what the air pressure is before you get on the bike. If you don't wire it to stay on with the bike, you have to drive a few minutes before you know the tire pressure, or do it the 'old fashion way' and get down on your knees to check the pressure.

If you are worried battery drain you can put in an on/off switch to turn off at the end of the day, then turn it on while you are putting your gear on.
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Who sells metal valve stems for tubeless tires?

the motocanchor place that I got mine from seems to be out of business since the owner passed away.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Who sells metal valve stems for tubeless tires?

the motocanchor place that I got mine from seems to be out of business since the owner passed away.
A few others sell the same stems as Motorcycle Anchor did, for about the same price.

http://www.mawonline.com/google/P03600007.HTM

Jim
Old 10-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
A few others sell the same stems as Motorcycle Anchor did, for about the same price.

http://www.mawonline.com/google/P03600007.HTM

Jim
Not sure if the other gentleman wants metal stems for every day use or with Doran; If your gonna get metal stems for the Doran tire sensors; first off, they come with Doran and second, if you intend to use a different brand of stem with the Doran sensor, you need to make sure the stem sticks up high enough so the sensor will mount properly.
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo in sc
Not sure if the other gentleman wants metal stems for every day use or with Doran; If your gonna get metal stems for the Doran tire sensors; first off, they come with Doran and second, if you intend to use a different brand of stem with the Doran sensor, you need to make sure the stem sticks up high enough so the sensor will mount properly.
Good points made, though I am sure Rick meant just the aluminum stams that I referenced.

Jim