User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
timmie415 OP
n00b poster but not rider

Oddometer: 106
Fly and Scoot (Seattle back to SF)

Greetings all, I figured if I started this thread it might motivate me to finally do a proper ride report after so many years and wasted work hours riding along with other inmates.

This whole event started in earnest 1 week ago. I finally sold a BMW F650gs that I inherited from my younger brother. The following day a 2009 Yamaha TMax was posted on craigslist just north of Seattle. I have been scooter-curious for a few years now. My enthusiasm peaked when I rented a Kymco Movie155 on Maui and rode that thing for 7 hours straight, figuring 8ing the whole island. I was hooked but being in the Bay Area I needed something freeway capable to get out to the good riding roads.

The Tmax was the scooter I lusted after when I was in France last summer. Seeing this one come up for sale, so close to my hometown, just made it seem right. After exchanging some emails with the owner, getting the blessing from my significant other and then securing a plane ticket, reality set in, holy shite, I am finally doing a Fly-and -Ride. On a scooter. Might as well make it a two day trip and go just shy of 1000+ miles. How the hell do I pack for something like this..?

So the planned route:

And the gorgeous scooter that will take me on this longer than necessary trip:

There you have it. In 4 hours I will be boarding a flight to Seattle. A duffel bag with boots, helmet, gloves, socks and few clean pairs of boxers. A camera and tablet that hopefully allow me to update as I go. My Givi arrowbags that I have no idea if they will fit the scooter. A big moto jacket that TSA will surely frown at. A wad of cash and the excitement that comes with the unknown ahead.

Picking up the scooter tonight. Urban hiking, drinking beers and going to the Mariner's game tomorrow. Saturday and Sunday riding the long way home.

Not quite the epic journeys that have been documented here in the past but one that hopefully will at least entertain a bit and come with some decent photos...

-Tim
timmie415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Spurlock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hi Tim,
Beautiful scooter and a great ride you have mapped out there. Looking forward to seeing the pictures and hearing how it went. I'm a few miles off I-80 near Vacaville so if you need anything as you pass through PM me and I'll be glad to assist.

-Bill
Old 05-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Awesome! Just make sure to keep an eye on the weather... as you'll know if you've looked out the window today, there are storms out to the east. It's snowing in the central and southern Sierra at the moment, though your route should be OK by the time you get there.

Happy scooting!
Old 05-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
timmie415 OP

First check-in from the airport with my inaugural beer. Got to find a cable to connect my camera to my tablet. Going to be hard to tease with roadtrip food and views with no photos. Hopefully this will be the only forgotten item.

Thanks for the offer Spurlock. Nice to know inmates got my back.

Been watching the weather religously Vaara. This time of year it is a crapshoot. Brought plenty of layers that make for 2 heavy carry-ons. Hope to sweet talk my way past the gate agent. Today I am one of those "flyers" that over stuff the bins

Damn vacation feels good. -Tim
Old 05-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,634
Like you, my interest in scooters started with a rental in Hawaii. It just took me a lot longer to act on it than you. I'm looking forward to the rest of your report.

klaviator screwed with this post 05-08-2015 at 07:47 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:04 AM   #6
StingerCo
Mid life crisis #2

Oddometer: 170
Safe travels my friend! I'm looking forward to seeing some great photos from your journey. Once you get back perhaps we can meet up and head to Alices Restaurant on Skyline in Woodside for breakfast or lunch!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:06 AM   #7
StingerCo
Mid life crisis #2

Oddometer: 170
By the way, I sure wish the previous owner of my Max had installed the clear euro front winkers like you have. I think it makes a huge difference to the look of the bike!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #8
timmie415 OP

And so it was...

As posted yesterday I made it through TSA at SFO with no problems. Wandered from Terminal 1 through the nifty new post security hallway connecting to Terminal 2. Got a beer and salad at CatCora which offers one of the best views of the tarmac.

After enjoying my lunch I returned to my gate. Watched the hordes push on. Holding a "zone 1" pass, it seemed more like an actual zone 4 after 1st class loads, then the Delta medallion members, Sky Priority, military and people needing more time down the jetway, parents with infants in strollers ect ect ect. So Zone 1 gets called and there might be a dozen of us left. I hand the gate agent my ticket and a new one spits out of her machine. "Oh I wondered where you were. You got an upgrade for this flight. Thanks for being a loyal Skyteam member."
Dirty well worn moto boots, check.
Bulky heavy never washed moto jacket, check.
Duffel bag full of helmet, gloves and other crap, check.
Pair of saddle bags jammed with riding pants and inner jacket liners, check.
The look on the other 1st class passengers faces, priceless!

ADV, I salute you.

Now on to the important part of this journey. The TMAX! Had a nice chat with the PO regarding a few things I noticed on the scoot. Nothing that obviously nixed the deal, minor details. Cash exchanged hands, title signed and down the road I went.

SWEET! The roll-on from 65 to 80 mph on the XP500 is excellent. With the TK exhaust on deceleration it has a nice exhaust burble. OH man, this is going to be one fun trip down south.

But before that, I am going to go wander around my old hometown and watch a baseball game. The real ADV ride starts tomorrow.

-Tim
Old 05-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #9
versysrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Wish I had a beautiful TMAX like that, that made 40 hp and did 117 mph on the dyno..... oh wait, I did, and that looks suspiciously like mine.

Tim, it was great to meet you yesterday, hope you have fun on the trip home, with perfect weather. Look forward to reading your thoughts on the TMAX, and about the ride home.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
versysrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Had a nice chat with the PO regarding a few things I noticed on the scoot. Nothing that obviously nixed the deal, minor details. Cash exchanged hands, title signed and down the road I went.

-Tim[/QUOTE]

Tim... You kind of make it sound like I misrepresented the TMAX, and I didn't. It's nearly perfect in every way. I wouldn't misrepresent any thing I sell, let alone to someone traveling so far. I apologized for the tabs not being current (didn't realize they weren't), and then agreed to save you money for that. And that was the only thing I'm aware of that you noticed on the TMAX, not "a few things". I did everything I could to make the transaction a good (and easy) experience for you, coming from so far, with everything taken care of and ready to go, and a beautifully detailed TMAX so you would be excited to see it. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer 2009 TMAX at any price.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
timmie415 OP

Got a belly full of food and now a full tank of gas. I think it is time to officially kick this ride off.

East I-90 to South 82 and then 97. Boring ride to start off getting out of Seattle but I am hoping once I get to the Columbia River Gorge and Oregon the ride will get entertaining.

Next stop further down the road but not much closer to home. Taking the long way just seems right

-Tim
Old 05-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
timmie415 OP

4 hours on and still riding strong.

The Tmax patiently waits outside as I refuel

Sodbuster's just before Oregon on highway 97. Next couple of stops no fueling the scoot myself.
Usually I don't stop to eat, I hope I don't end up regretting this...

Back to the road. Nice and relaxing so far. Besides the 6 WSP I have seen. Let's see what Oregon has waiting for me...
-Tim