User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,333
A day out on the Rez - Fort Apache

Actually it was 2 days but we would start it off on Friday meeting at the Apache Trail in Apache Junction, AZ.

We were supposed to have met earlier that evening but Stan was running a bit late. It was a blessing in disguise because Ricardo showed up unannounced. He'd forgotten to call and let us know he was coming so if we would have left earlier he would have been left behind.

here are the players.
Stan - DRZ400
Aaron - DR650
Jeff - 690
Ricardo - DR650
Myself - DR650

Wow. Look at all that yellow.

Starting right at dusk.

Night run through the trail.

The ride wasn't particularly uneventful. The dust kicked up by the Labor Day weekend traffic was horrible and a few miles before we reached the Marina 3 vehicles simply would not let us by.
So it was pretty slow going through Ap Trail but we made it there at our scheduled time. I don't have any pics of dinner. I think maybe because I was too busy cleaning the drool off of my chin from a few hotties that were sitting beside us. (sorry, no pics. They were accompanied.)

Anyway, we left the restaurant at around 9pm and had to gun it to the gas station which was supposed to have been closing at 10. Googlemaps calculated us getting there in an hour so we had to really step up our game if we wanted to make it. I arrive at exactly 9:55pm at the pump.

Yes! Made it.

Walked up to the store to pay and noticed a small hand written note next to the door. "Holiday hours for Friday: 6am to 9pm"

The following would be the first of a few decisions that we'd end up making that are best left to be talked about around the campfire. So after some doodling around nearby for a makeshift campsite we decided to bite the bullet and head to Globe for gas and trek up to our original camping spot. Cherry Creek Road.

We made it there at around 11:30pm. It wasn't as far deep as we would have liked into Cherry Creek but we were there nevertheless. Tired but with some whiskey remedy, we'd sleep ok for a few hours before our big day.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

The morning was gorgeous and the temps just about perfect.

But of course once that sun started rising it quickly got hot so we had to get a move on it.

We had just the thing to cool us off.

Stan.

Jeff.

Ricardo with high degree of drama.

More shots along Cherry Creek.

Here's the turn off from Cherry Creek towards the rez.

The road was beautiful and we'd be riding a ridge for miles but it was pretty unrelenting with baby sized boulders for a good stretch up until the edge of the rez.

A good sampling of what I'm talking about.

Where we stopped there were these horned caterpillars everywhere.

Only 26 mile miles thataway.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

view were excellent.

Some people just like to live out where nobody can bother them.

more creek crossings down yonder.

Let's get to it.

Aaron.

It was a bit sandy at the back end so you had to keep on the gas and not stop. Um, I said don't stop.

Ricardo finds out the hard way.

So after approximately 20 miles of rez riding ...

Seriously? No Salt River Canyon?That's the stretch of road I was really looking forward to riding.

sigh.

Oh well. After much debate and calculation of how much gas we'd consume to get to Young (which has the only gas station around for miles!) we decided to comply with the sign and not go the 7 miles down the road (which would have been 14 mile round trip. That info saved for later) and instead headed north toward Cibecue.

We'd known that most parts around Cibecue were off limits because Jeff had provided us with a map (just a few hours before departing on our trip) that showed those restricted areas. With that info I was able to put together a track that would skirt around those areas and hopefully make our way back to Young with enough gas in the tanks to not get stranded. All 3 of the DR50's have stock tanks but at least Aaron had his rotopax with him and Jeff had a mega tanker on his KTM.

You'll get why I'm laughing about that later.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
... I arrive at exactly 9:55pm at the pump.

Yes! Made it.

Walked up to the store to pay and noticed a small hand written note next to the door. "Holiday hours for Friday: 6am to 9pm"

Photo from Stan.

so where was I.

26 miles thataway.

Up towards Cibecue but not so far as to reach the "no go zone".

We'd be traveling up through some unmarked trail but in the right direction for sure.

It turned out to be a great trail with awesome views.

Not extremely tough but just enough to keep you interested.

No, we did not go that way.

We stayed on the main trails which proved to be tough at times because these areas appear not to be very traveled so spots of the trails were pretty over grown with your occasional river crossing thrown in the mix.

Easy there Ricardo.

Steady.

There we go.

Aaron with a little hiccup but made it through.

The trails being hard to read would almost be disastrous for us this day. We were at a point where gas was getting critical and we still had a way to go to get to Young so messing around getting lost was not an option.

..but that wouldn't stop us from trying our best to get off track!

We missed a turn but the "trail" that we were following seemed to be traveling in the right direction so we continued on. It was a mistake to do that and next time we try this route I'm waypointing that spot to remind me to stay on track! We ended up heading south instead of north for about 5 miles before having to turn West and then back North for another 10 or 15 miles.

At that point, having the gas issue in the back of our minds we decided to try and follow the path of less distance and barrel through some territory in a Westwardly fashion. These areas will remain unnamed for the sake of any incriminating information to those present.

As we rode through what seemed to be increasingly harder terrain to navigate Stan and I (who were usually at the front) stopped for a minute to check the GPS. Ricardo followed. hmmm..Strange. Usually Jeff was next in line but Aaron also wasn't there. So I trekked back for a little bit, then some more, then kind of a lot until Jeff finally showed up.

"What's up, Jeff?"

-Ran out of gas so Aaron dumped some of his rotopax stuff in my tank to get going.

Um, YOU ran out of gas?

-yeah, I didn't fill it up all the way to keep it light.

.............. !

I can laugh now because we all made it.

But that was a bonehead move. (more on that later)

So it was even more critical for us to continue on in as straight a line as we could toward Young.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,022
Where's the goat? No goat, no adventure....

I didn't fill it up all the way.....

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,314
Nice Report

Keep it coming, this is a great report so far. Th video was pretty cool to with the western music......techno........

If figures, the person with the biggest gas tank runs OUT............sheesh..........
Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

After a few more miles of staying west we finally got to the edge of the rez!

Down there by the power lines is where we are supposed to be. Not all the way over here.

A victory pic of us back in the USA!

and after some dubious navigating we arrived back to our initial route.

Smooth sailing from here on out right fellas?

Wrong.

that Bull did not want to let us pass. I inched up closer and revved my engine to see if it would move but instead it squared me up.

After the standoff it finally let Stan and I through and when I turned around it was doing the same with Ricardo. But he had now called for backup and there was a big black bull BEHIND him as well.

I guess I can let Ricardo tell his side of the story on how he persuaded the bull to let him by.

So finally after a butt clenching experience with gas and wild animals we finally made it to easy terrain.

Only a few miles to go now and only one of us had run out of gas.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

At the station in Young I filled up my tank. 2.97 gallons out of a 3.2 gallon tank. phew. that was close. Now here the kicker, Jeff topped off and noticed that he had put far less gas than he thought would take for him to fill up. So he believe his running out was due to vapor lock from one tank to another or some such lie to cover up the truth!

Those fancy shmancy KTM's nobody can figure out.

Finally arriving at Antlers for lunch at 4pm.

Food here is usually great but with the ride we'd had everything tasted that much better.

After that much deserved body refueling we head South down the 288 toward Roosevelt Lake. We'd initially thought about trying out some new trails that cut rough Tonto down to Punkin Center from young but we'd all had enough for the day. Some of us more than others as Stan and Aaron decided at lunch to stay camping for one more night. they broke off from the rest of us somewhere around Wolfmans Creek and they can share that part of the ride with you all. Or not.

Ricardo, Jeff and I kept on keeping on.

hardly looks like AZ.

A run into some turkeys on the road. No, not the same kind that we run into during rush hour down in the valley.

More scenery down the Desert to Pines Highway.

Taking a break at the cliff edge.

Brilliantly glowing ocotillo in the sun setting light.

Ricardo works it.

and on to the final trek.

Happy cyberdos smiling inside his helmet.

Ricardo and Jeff would peel off at the 188 and head toward Globe via blacktop. I still had a date with another nighttime run at the Apache Trail. I'm kinda diggin' this night riding business.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,392

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Sledred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Cyberdos -

Nice report and looked like lots of fun. Gotta watch that Jeff character though... sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.
Sledred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,074
Nice

You guys are some crazy wild riders. I am going to have to practice up and then try to come with you on a ride.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledred View Post
Cyberdos -

Nice report and looked like lots of fun. Gotta watch that Jeff character though... sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
You guys are some crazy wild riders. I am going to have to practice up and then try to come with you on a ride.
You would have enjoyed this ride for sure.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #13
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 599
I had a great time exploring. The greatest part of the ride was the lack of traffic. I think we only saw 1 oncoming vehicle in 130 miles of dirt on Saturday.

The views were amazing and bushwhacking along the unmarked roads was really fun.

It was pretty crazy that 3 riders got shocked after we parked under the powerlines on NF202. I didn't know that the bikes could build up that much static.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,044
nice ride guys!! desert is so green. its too bad the rd was closed on the rez to the salt canyon,,, theres a water crossing down there that i woulda liked to see pics of after the rains,,, it can be interesting normally, it could be impassable right now.

BTW cyberdos,,, i dont see any bulls in the pics
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
nice ride guys!! desert is so green. its too bad the rd was closed on the rez to the salt canyon,,, theres a water crossing down there that i woulda liked to see pics of after the rains,,, it can be interesting normally, it could be impassable right now.

BTW cyberdos,,, i dont see any bulls in the pics
the hell you don't.

Look at that beast!