Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #286
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
good to see this thread going again. I'll be riding up your way again in july...gettysburg to bostonto new york twisties to vt (stowe) new hampshire (kankamus road) to maine and back to boston...canada will work itself in somewhere...
Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #287
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,320
Figured if I bumped Riff's thread he would show up.

Now, where is Mark?
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #288
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Figured if I bumped Riff's thread he would show up.

Now, where is Mark?

xoijrwqrsdfnu[? huh? WHa? who said that? WHO woke me up? YEAH! hain't heerd a thing from the Wolf for some time!? Wondern iffn mayB he still mung the livn'
Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #289
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
good to see this thread going again. I'll be riding up your way again in july...gettysburg to bostonto new york twisties to vt (stowe) new hampshire (kankamus road) to maine and back to boston...canada will work itself in somewhere...

Wow MUST be late spring! all these ol Grizzers comn' out of hibernation! ! Thought you left country to!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #290
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
xoijrwqrsdfnu[? huh? WHa? who said that? WHO woke me up? YEAH! hain't heerd a thing from the Wolf for some time!? Wondern iffn mayB he still mung the livn'
Dunno, but I do know I have most of the week of July 4th off
Old 06-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #291
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Dunno, but I do know I have most of the week of July 4th off

Most? Upper PA intriguing me! or.... ?

What say you?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #292
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

I like to tell folk if the bees aren't buzzn the nest don't poke it ! a week or so back some "Stumpju..." "Appalachian American" bumped my thread! This necessitates a proper response! Deep in the "Mountains of the East" in the Great State of West By Golly Virginia there is a community not that much unlike any you can find up in them thar hills. The things that makes this place special is that is the official stompin grounds of the legendary WVhillbilly!

I give your "Rowlesburg, WV" !

From where I am parked here you turn around and look north back up rt 72 and this is what you see!

The Cheat River! If you pull up the google map the river loops around the town.

first save break here, tired more to come ... tomorrow. It Will be worth the wait! Until then ... good night!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #293
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Get to that update yet?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #294
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

you're 9 hours into today already!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #295
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Old! What is there to say about this age thing, Other than it's everything it's cracked up to be, and what you make of it! Somewhere in my early years I was under the mistaken impression I would begin to slowdown and enjoy more leisure time as I got older! That by the way is the new definition of "Urban Legend"!

Ok so here I am back from the ... what ever it was I was doing! We continue our story into the lair of the indomitable WVhillbilly!

One of the first thing of course we notice is that "A River Runs Through IT"! Pun intended here. the Cheat River runs that loop around the town of course [google map it up you'll see what I mean]. I Parked downtown right across from the "Civic Center" it's got it all in there! Check the listing and look into the windows!

Now MR. Hillbilly, your gonna haf ta pronounce [phonetically of course] name for me!

[KIira is parked in front of the speed sign!
the name on the sign listing all the stuff in the civic center looks like it would sound like that character from the Superman comic book! [Yeah I'm a reader ]

Better picture of the Civic Center!

From here if you do a 180 and walk about 75 yards you're back down at the Cheat river.

The Cheat River [ I just realized I missed uploading some of the money shots - crap, and the external hard-drive is over in my office next door - crap again ] Will have to put up what I got tonight and up load some more tomorrow ....

You can't find many rivers now days this clean and clear! The water is so clear you could hunt the fish with a rifle and not have to waste a good worm! [22. pistol would be good nuff !]

Come up out of the water say 50 yards back towards town turn a 90 degree turn and look north and there is the park.

I'm already making plans for next "Labor Day"! [really gettin my shorts in a twist here on a counta I Did Not load up some necessary shots I took! gonna have to do some serious editing here when I getem up loaded]

Rowlesburg is ....
one pretty little town! I found the downtown very clean, and well laid out, easy access... and for the short thirty minuets I was in town I was impressed. I did not have the opportunity to actually meet a "Rowlesburgian", but the ones I saw driving by, did not stare at me like I might have been a "not one of us" folks. I was very surprised one person drove by and blew their horn and waved at me! I turned around to see if there was someone else near by, but nope! Just me! I guess they don't get to see many folks on black BMW with orange rims caring a DSLR looking like he's casing the place! {Could have been my bad---- looking biker jacket with my "Poser Patch" on the back maybe? I don't know, just sayn"! }

I parked Kira right by some flowers that would help highlight her rims!

Seriously? You bought that? [I Just now noticed that]
They where purddy though!

OK maybe a couple more for tomight.

Wait What Was That? and another one, and another one. there must have been at least four of these go by before I had enough of my composure back to grab a shot of them! The ever elusive Appalachian American town taxis! I wish I had the sense of mind to catch the one with two kids on board with these two women when it came back through town a couple minutes later!

Now I know some of you heathern are thinking I'm profiling or poking fun at my fellow mountain folk, but I am NOT! I personally appreciate there unhindered lifestyle! Granted there are challenges to driving vehicles like this on public roads, but the truth of the matter is, it's awesome these folks can do that with out some government bureaucrat coming along with some over regulated governmental restrictions hammering American citizens, because they think they know better, and can .... ok I"ll stop! I could live here in a heart beat. From what I saw this is not that horrible image some network wanted to paint of a typical West Virginian is. These looked like decent hard working, clean average Americans who lived in what looked like the song said "Almost Heaven".

They got something for everyone here!

Mike, Frank and Danielle would love this town!

[Boy really mad at myself ... bout the pic snafu!]

Anyway ... more later! good night!

Riff screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 09:15 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #296
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

very good Riff...pronounce that name again?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #297
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

When that river flooded in 1985 the water was 4 feet up on the second floor windows of the old school house.
Putting it about 3 feet up on the windows of the tourist trap.....er Curiosity Shop.

If you look at the left hand window of the store in the picture, just above the bench. You can just see a blue line next to the telephone pole.
That is the Nov 5, 1985 high water mark.

They do have some nice events there, the WW2 living history event is this weekend. The museum in the school is open will be open when you are there next weekend if you want a tour.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #298
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
very good Riff...pronounce that name again?

Right? Right? I'm still waiting for WVH to phonetically pronounce this one for me!

No disrespect to the Szilagyi family! But ... HUH?
The balls in your court there WVH!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #299
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

What? It's pronounced just like it sounds.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #300
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

And like I said there are a lot of activities here in Rowlesburg!

and directions to WVH's house