Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #331
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post

I don't have a GPS on my bike, and I just sort of ride by intuition.

Pick a general direction, after that I just take random lefts or rights, get lost and then have a good time finding my way home.
Sounds like a lot of my rides Is it really an adventure if you don't get lost at least once?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #332
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,781
I don't consider myself lost until my gas is on reserve.

But I do spend quite a bit of time not knowing where I am
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #333
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Thanks, I'm too lazy to start my own thread.
So I just spam Riff's
Actually WVHillbilly is the co-editor, and contributor of this thread!
[As is anyone who lives in the "Mountains of the East" or rides there, or those who hope to ride there, fly over, or camp, or .... ! ]

If I get the KTM considered road worthy by the rules set down by the "MDSPR-DOT" I will be riding with you in that dirt soon! ?

Riff screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 08:33 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #334
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,573
Hey Riff, are your orange wheels stock or did you have them powder coated? i'm thinking my new adv 650 wee strom would look good with that color wheels. What color are they called?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #335
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

He did them with Crayon, they look ok until you get close
Old 08-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #336
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Hey There "Kite" U gotta watch them "Appalachian Americans" who've been out of country for a while. They get back up in them thar hills and the rarefied air gets them all giddy again!
The Guy I bought the bike from had them powder coated for me, and yes they look as every bit as good in person up close as they do in the pictures. Could not tell ya color, maybe ":Scream'n Orange" but they look great! I love em.

If they where crayon, I'm gonna by a box of "Crayolas" I got some other Ideas!

kitesurfer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742

Hey Riff, are your orange wheels stock or did you have them powder coated? i'm thinking my new adv 650 wee strom would look good with that color wheels. What color are they called?

Today, 10:45 AM

WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557

He did them with Crayon, they look ok until you get close
Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #337
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Alrighty then! Can't let the Hill Billy steal the show here! WV has to be one of many of the high lights in "The Mountains of the East", but just one of many. We gonna have to go north and south there WVH there some great threads out there telling us we need to get there!

Having said that Once again I had taken a trip west on 50 coming out of Romney! and you don't have to go to far down the road before your start running into some of the most scenic vistas you are likely to find anywhere in these hills. there a cool historical places along some of the slab as well. like:

this is somewhere near "Hartmansville, and Skyline" Not sure but I thought the community around this building was referred to as "Aurora", but I don't see that on Google map. More to come.

Just past the turn off to the WVH's house you come up on "Cool Spring Park" combination gas station, grocery store, souvenir shop, clothing store, guns ammo, .... .I think they even had the kitchen sink in there!

But this was only the cake the icing was next door in the form a .... museum to ancient machinery of all kinds! What do ya call this HB?

I just like the way they do things around here. it's up to you and your honor as to whether or not you are an honorable person.

But for several acres you turn in any direction and you will find some long forgotten tribute to mechanical ingenuity!

and they are not all gas or diesel powered machines! Some are even powered by water!

This is totally functional, running even as this picture was taken, hard to see evidence, but take my word for it.

But from the valleys to the Mountain tops .... it's just a kodak moment waiting to happen!

seems I'm missing a couple of key pictures here gotta go load em up! I must be getting a serious case of CRS. Until then!

Riff screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 07:36 PM
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #338
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

uploaded some more pictures, and the journey continues.
Route 50 West close to Aurora

Back at the Park a hundred years of old machine technology.

I have and idea, but maybe one of the first flip over ideas?

Need Gas?

maybe you appreciate some Statuary?

So many machines fascinating!

I LIKE THE REAR TIRES! ? Might work real good on the KTM HB! Whata ya think?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #339
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Ok we need to get on down the road! OK Gratuitous scenic shot here,

We finally get to beautiful Downtown "Grafton" [which I have on good word only about ten miles away from the lair of the ADVWolf! ].

Turn Left at the light and 7.2 miles south on Co. Rt 9 and you find "Tygart Lake State Park".

One of the many State Parks and mountain lakes you can find dotting the landscape all over Wild and Wonderful West Virgina.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #340
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

There are a lot of things you can do at these parks!

How about this one! Take your dogs for a ride on the water!

It is a very family friendly Park

Pontoon boat racing!

Riff screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 09:17 PM
Old 08-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #341
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

The Lodge at Tygart Lake is very nice! Not super opulent, but in theme with the park very family friendly and very affordable.

Rooms with a great view!

Lounge, Restaurant, overlooking the Lake! This is a nice lay over, maybe for even more than one night !
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #342
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

a few more pics of the Lake!

and back down the road Route 50 east as the sun is setting!

To

CUMBERLAND, MD 21502

AND TO ALL GOODNIGHT!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #343
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Hey Riff,

In the Fall you can get Fresh apples there. They will squeeze you out the cider and if you mix the right concoction is will be hard in a few weeks. Very nice picks at the dam. Next time your in the town we will have to get you to the Memorial Cemetery's or if your up for a little float trip, we can get you out on the River or lake in the canoe. You will have to get some pics of my place one of these days I would like to have it open for a ADV West Virginia Base Camp. Once I get the outdoor facilities up and running.
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #344
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvWolf View Post
Hey Riff,

In the Fall you can get Fresh apples there. They will squeeze you out the cider and if you mix the right concoction is will be hard in a few weeks. Very nice picks at the dam. Next time your in the town we will have to get you to the Memorial Cemetery's or if your up for a little float trip, we can get you out on the River or lake in the canoe. You will have to get some pics of my place one of these days I would like to have it open for a ADV West Virginia Base Camp. Once I get the outdoor facilities up and running.
I totally down with that! Get that "Base Camp" up and running man! I gotta be careful with that apple stuff [regular or unleaded ] too much of that gets my bowels in an uproar!
That is one beautiful park alrighty. lot's of potential there. I almost hit the Memorial Cemetery when I came through, just felt like I was late in the day and burning daylight! I think I'm going to come back out there and spend two nights to do some "splorin" round there. There are a whole bunch of possibilities for trips and pictures. I need to figure out a way of getting the German and the Austrian out there at the same time. The "Fox" don't drive [ Yet ]. So I might have to do some creative traveling! I knew a guy who had a combo travel trailer, and bike transporter built into the back end! Been a while though. Need to be as cost effective as possible.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #345
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

http://westmd.craigslist.org/rvs/3160450249.html

He's $10K too high, but this would do it.