Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #361
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,781
The bike is just leaned over in the rut, with the tires in it my seat was so close to the ground that I thought I was on a Harley when I put my feet down.

If you got out of the rut, ya went about 25' and slid back in. So I just stayed in the groove and gassed it.

Bike was a mess when I got home.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #362
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Yeaaaahhhhh ....... I don't think you want to sell a proven bike like this !!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #363
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
The bike is just leaned over in the rut, with the tires in it my seat was so close to the ground that I thought I was on a Harley when I put my feet down.

If you got out of the rut, ya went about 25' and slid back in. So I just stayed in the groove and gassed it.

Bike was a mess when I got home.
Maybe a hardcore drop location ?
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #364
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Thought about it, whoever grabbed that tag would hate me
Old 08-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #365
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,044
Monday?
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #366
BreeezyKLR
BreeezyKLR

Oddometer: 6
re: Look at what I found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
Time is the new currency, and I have found myself impoverished this year! How ever since the acquisition of the LC4 I am discovering some new opportunities I can invest my time in. It requires a minimal investment, and yields a lot of dividends. LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND! Do not let the bottom of the sign deceive you!!

There are other signs!

this one in the lower left hand corner ... I have a "Licensed Motor Vehicles"!!!! Called the LC4

And this road looks like this!!

perfect for a Dirt "NOOB" Like me! I so happy!!!! It IS the fault of the WVHILLBILLY, AND ADVWOLF
This is a teaser!

From what I have been able to find out there are a LOT more roads like this around these parts, and since they are very close and very numerous LOOK OUT! .... More to come later .... gotta get out there!
Nice! I may have to check that out if I come up that way this weekend.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #367
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreeezyKLR View Post
Nice! I may have to check that out if I come up that way this weekend.
Hey Breeezy! That's great it is very easy to find. If you are familiar with the area, you get off at the "Rocky Gap" exit. Take the first right onto Pleasant Valley Road and you will see the Rangers Station Visitor's HQ immediately on the right. Stay on the Pleasant Vally Road, and crossing into PA [it's still the same road] it becomes PA state Route 3005 "Beans Cove Road". Watch the signage carefully [not challenging at all] and you will ride right into "Buchanan State Forest" and in the middle of the forest "Martin's Hill Road" which is gravel starts heading due north. I did not get to go very far that day due to time constraints, From "Google maps" it looks like it runs right up through the forest with all kinds of side roads coming off of it the further up you go. drop me a line if you make it!

Check out this link and click to open the public use PDF Map. You'll find it in the bottom left quadrant of the map. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...maps/index.htm

Riff screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 04:38 PM Reason: update post
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #368
edsollen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Pleasant Valley Road in PA! That is my hunting area, beautiful territory, plenty of good riding to be had.
edsollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #369
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsollen View Post
Pleasant Valley Road in PA! That is my hunting area, beautiful territory, plenty of good riding to be had.

I'd say from the looks of it, there are good hunting to be enjoyed as well Ed!
Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #370
edsollen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Yes there is, I have been hunting the Beans Cove area for 20 years, harvested many deer and countless squirrel. A group of us from the Chambersburg area will converge Sat morning after Thanksgiving for storytelling, eating, and hunting. In my case now we are bringing the third generation along, passing on the traditions.
edsollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #371
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsollen View Post
Yes there is, I have been hunting the Beans Cove area for 20 years, harvested many deer and countless squirrel. A group of us from the Chambersburg area will converge Sat morning after Thanksgiving for storytelling, eating, and hunting. In my case now we are bringing the third generation along, passing on the traditions.

Now that's what I'm talking about Ed. There's a book I like to read a lot says "train up a child the way he should go so that when he gets old he will not depart from it." Hunting, Riding, and Fishing only a few other things almost as good. Amen? Got some friends who grew up in Beans Cove.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #372
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Still in the Dirt

Another short ride down a local road, just a few minutes from my house.

Getting cooler out, which means...well it means I won't sweat so much in this gear when I'm trail riding.

Hate winter, but love the fall. This ride will look completely different in a few weeks.

This is why you need more tread on your tires Riff.

Part of this is a county road, I put 2 wheels on it more than anyone.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #373
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Very nice! Roger on the winter and fall, Spring ..... can't just buy new just because I want them.... Oh wait that's what I did buying the LC4 !

However probably going to have to wait until Spring, before I can get some more aggressive tread for her.

Dang but is some nice road ... Finally got a few hours today. Thought I had a day off and get a phone call last night around 9:30 reminding me of a meeting I had this morning up in Deep Creek! This necessitated my taking the long bike! It where Brrrrrisk! However having done the necessary research the night before I was prepared. Like you I felt happy with what little I could get. It's kinda like and appetizer!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #374
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Well, instead of hang around the house and wait for my wife to find me something to do. I made good my escape.

Rt 72 south thru Parsons, then up towards Thomas. But wait, what's this road?

Licensed vehicles welcome, well I just happen to be on one of those.

After a short run of Forest Service road you come to this.
Olsen Tower

There was a guy near the top taking pictures, I thought about doing the same. But then I looked at all those stairs, and remembered how lazy I was and figured the view from here was fine.

Heading back to 219 I saw yet another dirt road, this one promised to be "narrow and rough" there was even a sign saying so.

I didn't find it too narrow, or too rough. But thought it was just about right. This is FS 717 (I think)
And it is a fine ride.

There is even a campsite. Better bring a hammock as the ground is rocky.

That picnic table is huge, and looks sturdy. I think it would hold my bike easily, if I were a trials rider.
But I'm not so I continued on this not horribly rough or narrow track.

Then there was this dot in the middle of the road, I went to the right of it just in case there were any cops around.

WVhillbilly screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 08:32 PM
Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #375
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Don't wanna run out of room.
Then you come to the community of Douglas

Just outside of Thomas.

From here I went north on 219 again, but once again got sidetracked.
And turned onto Leadmine Mtn Rd

Which drops into Horseshoe. From there I have a few ways home, the road less traveled called again.
So I ended up on 12 mile Rd.

Last time I came thru here it was nearly impassable. It is much improved now.

Then on down Snake Rd, which comes out at the bottom of Cheat Mtn on Rt 50.
Uneventful except for this tree I had to avoid, plenty of room for me once I rode down into the ditch.

Might go ride tomorrow, if I can get away with it.