Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #121
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Headed towards the MD panhandle on News Day. The superslab (I270) had backed up enough that another rider and I had a rolling conversation and decided on quest to find that 'Road Kill Cafe'. Found it around noon and met Ms. Snyder, promising to be back again on another fine day. The other rider headed on to WV loop while I skinnied back easterly on the back roads keeping the super slab to the North and the Potomac River to the South...
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #122
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
Thanks for this thread. I've been in WV several times. Rode through last summer on US 50. And, I really want to get back. It shouldn't be too hard living in the Cincinnati area.

Your RR made me get out the maps and pour over all the routes possible to West Virginia. Thanks.

Brent

PS, that's a fine looking Ruger 10/22 one of the most popular 22 caliber rifles made. Looks just like mine!

Brent
Glad you enjoyed the pics and thread. It is the roads and the ride that make these here hills around here some of the best anywhere. Up around WVH's area are some screaming runs. Everything from adventure touring, to sport bike spinning, or even touring the slab. It's all good. Give us a shout when you head this way and we'll give ya a free tour! Might even help you find the "Road Kill" I think the secret is getting out there!

Putting a scope on the Ruger makes her a fine squirrel rifle. 3X9 Power BSA had A Burriss Fieldmaster II, but I put that one on my .308 Stevens. Field and Stream did a gun report on the top 50 rifles of all time and this one as you probably know was I believe number 26 [not sure have to look up the article again].
Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #123
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Hey WVH where those pics taken through the windscreen of the LC4? I been trying to man up here, but almost got pneumonia from a ride last week. haven't been to work for four days. Trying again tomorrow. I thought you would like those pics I put up. I got a post Christmas present for my self in the form of a good point and shoot so I can get some action shots.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #124
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap View Post
Headed towards the MD panhandle on News Day. The superslab (I270) had backed up enough that another rider and I had a rolling conversation and decided on quest to find that 'Road Kill Cafe'. Found it around noon and met Ms. Snyder, promising to be back again on another fine day. The other rider headed on to WV loop while I skinnied back easterly on the back roads keeping the super slab to the North and the Potomac River to the South...

It sounds like you found out what makes the "Road Kill" special. The People, the Food, the Prices..... it's got it all. Yeah you on the right trail. Old Rt 40 parallels and crosses back and forth superslab 68 between Hancock and Cumberland and the signage is not all that clear, but with a little persistence a good map or decent GPS, the trip is worth it.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #125
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
Hey WVH where those pics taken through the windscreen of the LC4? I been trying to man up here, but almost got pneumonia from a ride last week. haven't been to work for four days. Trying again tomorrow. I thought you would like those pics I put up. I got a post Christmas present for my self in the form of a good point and shoot so I can get some action shots.

Windscreen of the Toyota
4wd, snow tires, heat and all that good stuff.
Had my quad out the other day, got cold, had enough and went inside.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #126
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Holidays, Near Death Experience, Schedules, Tax Time.... I have often told others that "if You are too busy, You Are Too Busy!" Like many of us who speak into other peoples lives with hopes of helping them we rarely take our own advice! Doctors are their own worst patients, Lawyers should never to represent themselves; We are always blind to our own short comings. Ok rant over now I feel better.
Let me see if I can pick up the trail again. During the course of the summer some of the shorter trips I take for granted where wonderful places where real people live there lives and there are many who have never seen these places. I would be remiss if I did not share these in telling the story of the Mountains of the East. Places parks, monuments, everyday places as much as people speak to the life of any community! Give me sometime to build this post. So here goes. the Following are some of those Places. From Cumberland go south on WV rt 28 to Romney WV, turn West on Rt 50 [and 28 coincide], and at a place called Junction Rt 220 connect with 50 and 28, and here at junction go south on 220 / 28 [ rt 50 continues west] to Moorefiled WV. At Moorefield rt 55 intersects with 220 / 28, and from Moorefiled continue south on Rt 220 / 28 / 55 to Petersburg, WV. Like most of the rides in this area of WV the roads have been designed for Motorcycle riding. The majority of the roads are banked, and despite the bad rap WV gets a lot of the roads are in great shape. Remember WV almost Heaven for the previous reasons stated. Any way this great little community is home to a lot of out door adventure activity, but something I found was a phenomenal little park that is obviously family oriented. The following pics do not do it justice.

Boarding the "North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River" is Welton Park

In the middle of rural America this neat community park has several athletic fields, for numerous sports venues, little league baseball, Softball, Basketball, jogging and hiking trails, and picnic pavilions.

The South Branch adds to the beauty and just a few miles North is the adventure center where you can book river rafting [water level permitting], and trail bicycle rentals.

[late summer here and it has been dry the river is low here]

Beautiful great park well designed.

the topography is beautifully visual.

"Welton Park" a mile or two North of Petersburg, WV on rt 28/ 220/ 55 is a great place to pull over when traveling through the Mountains of the East on your bike with your ridding partner, or just by yourself. An abundance of picnic tables to eat your food, and watch life happen from another perspective than you are normally used to. [yes there are plenty of well maintained clean "Porta Johns"]

Riff screwed with this post 01-21-2011 at 07:42 PM
Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #127
RideSMORR
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Rookie Dual sporter

Sold the race bike and bought an XR650L this winter. Maybe getting older and more responsible!?! Santa brought a GPS and it looks like we may have a little bit of an indian summer here for a week or so keep updating on the local stuff like where and when. Also, is there any feed back on all the different oversized tanks. I've used Clark before on a cr but I see Acerbis offers a larger 5.8 gal. Any issues either way?
Happy Trails!
RideSMORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #128
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,833
Either tank should work fine.

Need to figure on making one of these meets.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649269

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642602
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #129
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

On the Roads Again ....

Spring is Officially in the air. and an not to young man's heart has turned to ... mush... the ravages of winter hibernation has taken it's toll on this mortal body! Translation!? I have put the weight on! Big Time. Some one threw a snowball at me the other day and it didn't touch me, It just went into low level orbit! There will be no pictures of me for a while! I am pretty certain that I could not do the Alaskan three month night thingy either. If days hadn't started getting longer and the weather becoming nicer it would have become necessary to have my mail sent to the "Finan Center" [Cumberland's Mental Health Facility. A very nice place by the way.]. So as promised a while back here are some of the places that didn't make the editor's cuts. So here are the Director's unedited extended version for your viewing pleasure.

Old Route 40 is like the road that leads to all others around Cumberland; follow her east and she parallels 68 super slab. [and as many of you know it also connects to the road that takes ya to the "RoadKill Cafe".]. Thirty miles east on the super slab we come on what the locals call the "Cut" and is technically referred to as the ..... wait for it .... "Cut" at Sideling Hill. From this image you can see the reason, but the picture doesn't do it justice. "The Cut"!

Just around the corner of this picture is the Visitor's Center / Rest Stop. This image is a geologists Christmas card face. I can almost hear "Karl Sagan" saying "What we see here in the striped away rock face is the story of several mellennim of the earth's history illuminating our minds with our past. blah blah blah, bla, bla blah .... blah! and so forth. But if you take some time to look and study it. It does have an aspect of beauty to it.

NOT the "Devil's Tower" and that is not Richard Dryfeus trying to hide behind that outcrop of shrub.

Art Break!

Just Because they are purtty!

But it is this gorgeous Babe that gets me there!

Lke almost anywhere along the Applachias the ground is rich and makes great farmland.

Just a few miles west of this picture along old Route 40 is "Rocky Gap" State Park. I believe it is twelve miles east of Cumberland it is a whole different world. Wild life is every where very similar to Skyline Drive!

But still nice enough to be appreciated.

OK I think she is ready to

Get back into town!

Riff screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 12:24 AM
Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #130
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

I'M BAAAAAACK!

It has been a loooong winter. I am in great admiration of those hearty souls who have not bowed to the restrictions of winter's harsh, and challenging conditions! You know who you are! Mine has been a long [and hard] hibernation. Having come through a self imposed exile I return with a great full heart. A week ago Monday now [4/25/11] The weather and time came together for albeit a brief moment. I rode rt 28 out of Cumberland to Romney WV and picked up rt 50 West heading to Rt 72. There was a window of opportunity before the next storm front rolled in.

Rt 50 just out side of Romney, on the opposite side of the South Branch Bridge.

It was around 72 and feeling good. There has been a lot of rain and the river was running high

With good temps and the river up the locals can't wait to enjoy the waters.

I love these mountains. You don't have to far to find a Kodak moment waiting to happen. Here in the midst of the Appalachian mountain range you will find fields and pockets of landscape and visual imagery waiting for a canvas to be posted on.

It is getting green again.

We are feeling pushed to get back out on the road.

She is a good looking Lady!

Back out on the road.

Sometimes looking what you are leaving behind is worth the glance.

We are not leaving anything behind that we won't find ahead of us. Like I said anywhere around these here Mountains is gorgeous.

The Road is calling and we are ready to carve up some turns.

Looking ahead rt 50 west deeper into the Mountains of Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.

More yet to come. We ain't there yet. We stop in the back parking lot of this little church overlooking a small valley and a farm.

Down the hill rt 50 continues and just to the left of this picture is a turn off to something I had passed hundreds of times. It was the turn off to the "Nancy Hanks" memorial. [Mother to President Abraham Lincoln.]
[Wiki Pedia has some good info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Hanks ]

It was a great little road back to the site. You keep going what seems to be about five miles, with about two cut offs. With every cut off the road becomes smaller and smaller. At some point I am beginning to think I'm going to find a dirt road better suited for an dual sport bike than a for a huge naked sport touring bike. . But I press on anyway, and I was rewarded for my efforts.

There are a lot of houses all around this area. It may be very rural, but is surprisingly fairly well populated. One of the interesting surprises is that you find all kinds from the very affluent, to there next door neighbor who not so affluent lives in a nice well maintained mobile home, and then some completely rundown impoverished houses; complete with old abandoned vehicles and junk everywhere. Interesting to say the least.

It is a very nice memorial not overwhelmingly impressive. But the surrounding mountainside area is very peaceful and serene. [for all of us old guys there are no facilities except for what nature provides!]

Oh yeah there is a resident! Just because he caught me off guard I was unable to tell what kind of Snake he was since like a frightened little girl I was too busy scurrying backwards to take note of markings. He is living behind and underneath the cabin.

Like I said this is not a huge government run national historical site, and that was more than ok.

I happen to notice a notice is posted by the door, and at first I was a little disappointed, until I read the whole note.

This weekend coming is "Mother's Day" and this memorial become something bigger than what you see here. This was the birth place of the women who would become the mother of arguably one of the greatest Presidents in the history of our great nation. What he contributed in making our nation great is beyond debate in any corner of this world. I now realized that here in this little memorial I found my self standing on hallowed ground, as the note would read quoting the child of this Mother.

From humble settings similar to these greatness was born.

I needed to have my picture taken here! Kira takes good pics!

It is beautiful around here though.

And finally there was one thing I found a little out of place out here. Notice the abandoned vehicle in the center of this gorgeous landscape. At first glance it looks like one of those big old cars out of the sixties. However on closer [zooming in] observation ...

Although there is nothing particularly unusual about an abandoned vehicle in the middle of any farm field anywhere in the country. However from where we are right here it is many many miles from any large body of water that would support this particular vehicle!

Oh Well it is time to ....

Get back to Cumberland.
A little over a hundred miles total and I had a great Day Trip!

Riff screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 10:53 PM
Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #131
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,524
Wow- Much greeness
Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #132
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Wow- Much greeness
Yeah Sig
Opened the garage the other day to dust off the lawnmower, and it spit out it's spark plug and refused to start. I'm thinking maybe goats to take care of the grass. Almost feels like I've moved to Ireland to reunite with my home folk.

Riff screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 11:23 PM
Old 05-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #133
Riff OP
Legend - In my Mind

I found an old friend today that goes back many, many years for me. I noticed how melancholy it made me feel, and how nostalgic I got. I swear these days as I am getting closer to the end of all things for me then I am to what was my beginning I have become more thoughtful, retrospective. All my former experiences good and bad have made the man I am today [good and Bad ]. But when I found this I realized [imperfect as I might be] I like the guy I am today, and am happy with myself and my place in the universe. To the moderators I hope you give me a little leeway in this posting. I justify this in that I am not sure but that the artist may have been "Day Trippn" at the moment of his performance, but really captures what I feel is my heart for "Motorcycle Ridn". Thank You in advance for your grace. I give you Arlo Guthrie and the "Motorcycle Song". Enjoy Muchly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g266...layer_embedded
Old 05-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #134
danny4744
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Beautiful

These bring back memories thank you for the pictures... Used to work in west va and md that is a nice area. That pic of the gator at the gas station cracked me up, I've seen a ton of dilapidated vehicles in WVA with 'farm use' spray painted on the rear, lol.
danny4744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #135
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,698
Excellent job Riff.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote