ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
KendallT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
ADV memes...

Because sometimes I get bored at work...

Dreaming of a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

KendallT screwed with this post 09-08-2014 at 11:05 AM Reason: screwed it up...
KendallT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallT View Post
hehe I love it, so true!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
Rudley
el mojo fuerte

Oddometer: 235
Well, that's not necessarily always accurate......

42 years in the therapy field. This is what keeps me sane (relatively), and has for decades. This is near the Valley of the Gods, Medicine Hat Utah from a couple years ago, on a run from Massachusetts on the way to the Moki Dugway.

all the best,

Rudley
Old 09-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
TM1(SS)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Brilliant !!
TM1(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Rudley
el mojo fuerte

Oddometer: 235
And, here's the Moki from above

It was a good run!
Rudley
Old 09-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,262
I've been saying this to non-riding friends since I've been riding. The last couple years my young kids have been joining me and the time on a bike while chatting and camping with them have been amazing.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
1911MotoChick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Absolutely!
1911MotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
longwaytim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Very true!!
Old 10-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #9
casey sohc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
out for our first father son dualsport ( street legal) ride,joey just passed and was awarded his learners permit... this life event is truely an antidepressant!

Old 10-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #10
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 607
I'm a therapist and I ride (and so do some of my clients)!

Sorry, I don't mean to be a "downer" on what is supposed to be a "cute" thread, but major depression is no laughing matter. Although I ride and find it helps me relieve stress, depression is a VERY serious mental illness.

19,000,000 adults in the US have major depression, so it is likely YOU know someone who has been depressed. When depression is serious, one's loses the ability to get pleasure from activities that once were pleasurable. This means that if you loved to ride before you got depressed, you no longer enjoy it.

"Depression" is different than feeling "down in the dumps", "sad", etc.; one can't just "snap out of it." It can be a life-threatening illness; adults with depression have a mortality rate of 1.81 (that's almost twice the rate of people who are not depressed). If you or a loved-one suffers from depression, you should seek help from a professional.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
walterj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to be a "downer" on what is supposed to be a "cute" thread, but ...

A lot of downers in what is supposed to be a cute thread start out with sentences like that.
walterj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Sorry, I don't mean to be a "downer" on what is supposed to be a "cute" thread, but major depression is no laughing matter. Although I ride and find it helps me relieve stress, depression is a VERY serious mental illness.

19,000,000 adults in the US have major depression, so it is likely YOU know someone who has been depressed. When depression is serious, one's loses the ability to get pleasure from activities that once were pleasurable. This means that if you loved to ride before you got depressed, you no longer enjoy it.

"Depression" is different than feeling "down in the dumps", "sad", etc.; one can't just "snap out of it." It can be a life-threatening illness; adults with depression have a mortality rate of 1.81 (that's almost twice the rate of people who are not depressed). If you or a loved-one suffers from depression, you should seek help from a professional.

Very, very true ! If you find you cant snap out of it, and you no longer enjoy things that once gave you great pleasure and satisfaction.......seek professional help.

However, even when Im really "Down in the dumps", a good adventure ride really seems to brighten things up..........its one of the few things I have left at this point that can do it.

I dont have serious clinical depression, and know its all due to my current situation that I have little to no control over. But yeah, when your bummed and times are tough to deal with, a nice bike and a nice ride can cure alot of everyday blues............been workin for me for over 40 years of riding !
One day, you may find yourself stuck in neutral, in the middle of a bug infested forest, waiting for the buzzer on lifes penalty clock to go off, so you can move on to better horizons. If you dont, consider yourself fortunate.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
KendallT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:

Agreed... Major/Clinical Depression is extremely serious, and by no means was this an attack or mockery of anyone suffering from a severe depressive disorder. As a therapist I'm sure that you deal with many different types/levels of depression, and trust me when I say that I have had my fair share of experiences with depressive disorders. This was just in reference to mild "down in the dumps" depression.

Probably anyone reading this, can attest to that simple fact that riding a motorcycle brings on a joy unlike just about anything else in the world. When life is dishing out lemons... that's when I like to get on my bike the most. At 45 years old, every time I get on my bike to go for a ride... I feel like a kid again.

Hopefully no one suffering from a major form of depression read this and took it as an insult, that was definitley not my intent. Motorcycles are fun . Ride Safe.

Dreaming of a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

KendallT screwed with this post 10-06-2014 at 10:56 AM Reason: Stupid Typos
KendallT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Agreed... Major/Clinical Depression is extremely serious, and by no means was this an attack or mockery of anyone suffering from a severe depressive disorder. As a therapist I'm sure that you deal with many different types/levels of depression, and trust me when I say that I have had my fair share of experiences with depressive disorders. This was just in reference to mild "down in the dumps" depression.

Probably anyone reading this, can attest to that simple fact that riding a motorcycle brings on a joy unlike just about anything else in the world. When life is dishing out lemons... that's when I like to get on my bike the most. At 45 years old, every time I get on my bike to go for a ride... I feel like a kid again.

Hopefully no one suffering from a major form of depression read this and took it as an insult, that was definitley not my intent. Motorcycles are fun . Ride Safe.
I did not think you meant it that way at all. i think i was just sensitive due to the post on the "favorite youtube" thread of the riders tormenting a "crazy lady". Carry on!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudley View Post

42 years in the therapy field. This is what keeps me sane (relatively), and has for decades. This is near the Valley of the Gods, Medicine Mexican Hat Utah from a couple years ago, on a run from Massachusetts on the way to the Moki Dugway.

all the best,

Rudley
Sorry, it's the teacher in me.

My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote