Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,989
Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles)

Wolves, moose, bears, ships, logging, mining, history, tourist stops, and extended dual sport riding.

This report is about a dual sport ride that I am sharing that covers much of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It loops the UP and covers a distance of between 1200 and 1300 miles (options). It is intended for small/medium dual sports but has go-arounds that allow riders on large dual sports to enjoy the ride while avoiding segments that exclude many big bikes (excessive sand, single track, etc).

Some of you know that I host 1100 mile dual sport rides in the UP each year. Usually there is more interest in joining in than the legal limit of 19 riders allows. Even so, not everyone would enjoy the long days and hard riding of the CannonTreks. To allow more people to enjoy a CannonTrek-like ride, I am sharing a GPS file and describing the paths in this report so that people can enjoy a UP ride on their own or in small groups.

GPS tracks available for download here.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 11-12-2010 at 04:33 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

This is not a CannonTrek per se, but it is similar and is designed to take in the scenery, history, and some of the points of interest along the route. Each time I ride a long loop in the UP, when I finish I want to just keep going and ride it all over again. It is that much fun. Some others that have joined me on the Treks will no doubt join in to comment with their enthusiasm for some of the riding covered in this report.

I will describe the trail segments in this report so that people can decide for themselves whether to follow the primary route or the go-around. Even with the go-arounds, big bike riders will find a challenging and enjoyable ride. Just because it is a go-around does not mean that it is not sometimes a narrow and rugged path. I sought solid surfaces for the go-around, not always pavement or something easy. As with most tracks I share, a novice will be able to plod through and have a satisfying and challenging ride. More skilled riders will find the same satisfaction simply by riding at a pace commensurate with their skills.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 03:42 PM
Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

The ride incorporates single track, ATV trails, railroad grade ORV trails, two-tracks, forest roads, and a mix of other paved and unpaved roads. I intentionally included some significant segments of pavement because the ride is so good on them - even on a dirt bike (shore roads, twisties, etc). Before someone asks, yes there are some other paved segments. Some are out of necessity and some out of convenience. This is simply the cost of doing business as this dual sport ride covers a large area. I have many, many tracks in the UP. The idea in putting out this path is to provide an entertaining mix of riding that will cover the distance in a reasonable amount of time. No one has minded the pavement too much in the past. In fact, sometimes they were grateful for it so as to get a break for a bit.

I will post GPS tracks for download once I polish the file up a bit.

I will principally use photos I took over the past few days when I was enjoying the ride myself. Sometimes I will include some photos from some of the CannonTreks if it helps to better describe a trail segment.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 03:43 PM
Old 10-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I don't like to use "Trans-" to describe this ride as I sometimes think it is overused. Think of this ride as a loop that covers the UP that is about half the length of the Great Divide Ride. The nice thing about this one is that it loops back to the start. You can ride it in sections (east or west) spending a 2-3 day weekend on each part. It doesn't need to be done all at once.

Someone that is traversing the UP as part of another ride could ride a combination of segments on their way across the UP as part of a Trans-UP route.

Lots of things to check out along the way.

The optional single track will tax you.

Unusual sights to see.

Fantastic riding of all types.

Stimulating wildlife encouters.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 07:26 PM
Old 10-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot

Fall has arrived at the UP. Great photos. May I ask what camera you used for these shots?
Thanks
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Oh man... talk about a teaser for the intro...
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Are your cannontreks guided tours? If so, how much? Looks real fun?
I lived in lower Mich. a couple of years, but never got to ride the UP!

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Fall has arrived at the UP. Great photos. May I ask what camera you used for these shots?
Thanks
Lion
Colors are just a little past peak in most places. Leaves were falling most of the time I was on the trail. I was able to enjoy some unusually warm and sunny weather that really lit up the forests. Sometimes the glow seemed radioactive. The camera didn't catch the full effect.

I was using my Nikon D60 with an 18-200 lens. I had a chest holster to carry the camera in since I was riding my DRZ.

I also used my waterproof Pentax Optio for shots on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
Oh man... talk about a teaser for the intro...
Just trying to cover some pesky details and set the stage so we can get on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy
Are your cannontreks guided tours? If so, how much? Looks real fun?
I lived in lower Mich. a couple of years, but never got to ride the UP!

Bundy
The CannonTreks are guided in that they are group rides that I facilitate and provide the tracks and support information for. I do not charge people to ride along (even though it actually costs me to host these things). I host the rides to provide a great riding opportunity to some people that might not otherwise undertake a ride like this.

Putting this track out will allow more people to small group this thing (or do it solo). Here is your chance to enjoy some pre-scouted excellent riding in the UP!

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 08:53 PM
Old 10-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
gettr
Team Turtle

Oddometer: 686
Quote:

I will post GPS tracks for download once I polish the file up a bit.
I look forward to it
gettr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Canned Soup
The Itenerate Engineer

Oddometer: 159
Wow

The photos are awesome, the idea of the trail is greater.

One of my favorite areas. I have always wondered about riding some of the trails, I too await the gps files.
Canned Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Pinktoad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Looks like a fantastic ride! Can't wait to see the rest of it. Hey- this looks like the perfect route for Ron's group ride.
Pinktoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettr
I look forward to it
The go-arounds will make this ride a much better experience for you and the missus. The eastern side on a three day weekend would be very comfortable but challenging and fun. (Two days is comfortable for most, but why rush it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Soup
Wow

The photos are awesome, the idea of the trail is greater.

One of my favorite areas. I have always wondered about riding some of the trails, I too await the gps files.
You will enjoy these. Hope you get a chance to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinktoad
Looks like a fantastic ride! Can't wait to see the rest of it. Hey- this looks like the perfect route for Ron's group ride.
Ahem, I believe the concept of hosting an all chick iteration of the CannonTrek was your idea. When I was riding this and noting that the go-arounds took out many of the torturous-for-some-segments, I actually gave your idea some thought (for a microsecond). Keep in mind that you would be expected to be a hostess of sorts when (I mean if) that ever happened.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
Quote:
an all chick iteration of the CannonTrek
That's just hot.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
Pinktoad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
But then I would have to worry about what to wear and everything. Besides, the conversation at the men's table is much more interesting. I would enjoy this ride though.
Pinktoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface
That's just hot.
I think I would give that a little more thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinktoad
But then I would have to worry about what to wear and everything. Besides, the conversation at the men's table is much more interesting. I would enjoy this ride though.
This would be a perfect 5-6 day ride for you and The Shark. Lots to see and explore, the "best/worst" parts can be comfortably by-passed, and you guys could do a lot of intersting photography along the way.

I'm pretty happy about this version being more friendly to the newer dirt rides while still entertaining the more experienced folks.