User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #1
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,208
A week in Baja, Got as far a Mulege, 3 old DR350 and an XR650

Those bikes might be the most reliable bikes ever made. We had three months to get them ready. It would take all of that.

Pretty picture tease....few miles south of La Rumarosa Baja

From Goldstons in Baja

Don Goldston, from Co and this report, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974055
hadn't had enough Baja and began talking up another trip. In Jan we decided to go, for 8 days, in early April. It took all of those 3 months to get the bikes ready. Oh and the other bikes would be riden by Mike D and Don's twin brother Dan from SC.

Left to Right, Mike, Dan, and, Don (25 miles south of San Felipe at Campo El Virgel). Mike's the only ungeezer among us, so if you're looking for pictures of wheelies, move along now.

From Goldstons in Baja

Ok, you know the bikes and riders. The plan was for Dan and Don to fly in get the bikes loaded and drive down to my house in Oceanside Ca from Tujunga Ca, and then go on to Tecate for the assualt on 'The Baja'.

All that happened on schedule last Friday and Saturday the 3rd and 4th. As I waited the arrival of the boys that Saturday, I went out for gas, and a pic at the beach to kill some time.

From Goldstons in Baja

The gang showed up at 9am, and the adventrure began. Mike's on the white tank kickstart DR, Dan's on the Kickstart XR650, Don's on the Blue tank DR, and I'm riding the bike with a red gas can and tank paniers.

From Goldstons in Baja

My history in Baja goes back 60 years when my dad took the family camping in Baja at Punta Banda (La Bufadora) below Ensenada when I was 14. At 74 now, I been to Baja more than a 100 times I estimate. Still lots that I haven't seen, though

I must like the place. You can nearly alway find free camping, and have a campfire anywhere you are. Can't do that in the states anymore at most places. Relatively no intrusion from 'The Man' once you get past the border towns. Freedom, that's it, When my time comes, I won't be sorry, for I don't like where the world is going.

...........but enough of that, let's not hijack to world problem.

We were gassing in Tecate before 11am. Money was exchanged, and them as wanted insurance got it.

From Goldstons in Baja

Next stop would be Rancho Santa Veronica. STA Veronica is 25 miles from Tecate and is an off road haven of motel/camping and bar/restaurant. It is the best that Baja has so I needed to show it to the Don/Dan team.

From Goldstons in Baja

From Goldstons in Baja

We were in time, still, for the breakfast Buffet....all you can eat, don't you know.

From Goldstons in Baja

I'd forgotten that this was Easter weekend when I choose the ride dates so Sta V was very busy as was every thing else thru Sunday, but then it was back to normal Baja.

Back on the bikes....

From Goldstons in Baja

We went back to the pavement (hwy 2) and a few miles further east to La Rumarosa to catch the dirt road south that goes thru the piney tree forest past Laguna Hansen (dry now).

Don discovered the hard way what happens when his mesh riding pants catches on a foot peg as he comes to a stop. I had to be quick to catch the picture.

From Goldstons in Baja

Did I say, the weather was nice? 80 degree, just a little wind to keep the dust at bay. Don looks for that pesky snag....once located a bit of Gorilla tape across the gap and Don was all smiles from then on....well mostly.

From Goldstons in Baja

Let me post this before I lose it...more soon.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #2
Toy4AK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I'm in, looks like a great time.
Toy4AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Rubbernecker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Thumb

Subscribed seems like this is going to be a great trip. Good bike choices.

Need a close up of those bmx high bars on the dr or whatever style they are. Sweet!!!
Rubbernecker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker View Post
Subscribed seems like this is going to be a great trip. Good bike choices.

Need a close up of those bmx high bars on the dr or whatever style they are. Sweet!!!
It was a good trip, Rubbernecker. I'll try to do the TR justice. There are breakdowns, crashes, and everything that makes it an adventure.

The bars are simply an 8 inch riser set made from bending some Nighthawk bars at a near 90* at the triple clamps and then again at the next bend to flatten them out some at the next bend near the grips....then weld in a strong crowsbar. Don't think you can buy anything like that already made...

IMO, you need the crossbar to make them strong enough for DS.
The 8" is enough so that I can stand on the pegs and stll hold the bars with out bending over or bending my knees. Geezers don't do either of those things well. Had to re route the clutch cable a bit.

From Goldstons in Baja
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 04-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Best 60 miles in Baja

The ride from La Rumarosa to Hwy 3 is Baja's best dirt road from a scenery standpoint. It was beautimus again this time. I'd never seen that yellow flower ground cover before. I don't think I got the best shots, but here are a few more.

From Goldstons in Baja

...one of these should make a nice screensaver....if you are Baja nuts.

From Goldstons in Baja

...and here's a pretty one.....for the ladys. Heh he

From Goldstons in Baja

We moved on south toward the pine forest of the park at Lagna Hansen. Our plan was to spend the night at MSR (Mike Sky Ranch). That would be a stretch for us. We first got into the bouldery scrub brush country.

....If you get much farther east than the rocks in the distance you'lll be in the Laguna Salada desert at sea level.

From Goldstons in Baja

Look at that sky...prolly at about 4000 ft here 20 miles south of Hwy 3.

From Goldstons in Baja

....approaching the little stream crossing with the concreted southbound side...

From Goldstons in Baja

I hadn't been thru here for 4 or 5 years, maybe more. An ace in the hole was to stop at the hotel/restaurate (Ponderosa just a few miles north of the park in the pine trees. We'd get something cold to drink, and who knows, maybe spend the night, if the place was full of mtn nymphs, dancing girls, or summat interesting.

NERT!!

From Goldstons in Baja

I don't know when or why, but someone's great idea is going back to the earth from whence it came. We wouldn't be spending the night there.

From Goldstons in Baja

We traveled on to Laguna Hansen. The place was a mad house because of easter weekend with local folks.

The lake was dry of course....

From Goldstons in Baja

From Goldstons in Baja

Dan and Don look at the lake for the first times.....even being from Co and SC, I bet it won't be their last time.

From Goldstons in Baja

From Goldstons in Baja

We don't spend much time there as we are burning daylight. Mike moves out first...White tank DR

From Goldstons in Baja

Six miles away is Ramona's gas and, now, snack cafe.

From Goldstons in Baja

Frist time I was there was around '64. My first wife and Dad made a Jeep trip from San Vincinte up the Caluntura trail to Via Trinidad. It's a regular route today, but it wasn't then.

Anyway Ramona was selling gas at her place in Aserado (used to be a sawmill) then, and we were happy to find her there. I asked a gal in the cafe if Ramona was alive today as I didn't seen her there. She gave me the no finger wiggle. RIP, Ramona, she made that part of the world a happier place.

Mike and I waited for Dan and Don....finger tapping began....I better go look for them. I found them with a big group of big bike riders just south of the L Hansen. They got drawn in by the activity of one BMW rider who was putting a tube in a bent front rim/tire. That's the trouble with tubeless in the dirt.

We got a coke back at Ramna, and moved on toward the next 15 miles and the first real sand the that Don and Dan woud encounter. Dan said that all those big bikes were headed from MSR for the night. We figured that they all prolly had reservations....maybe there were none for us.

That 15 miles went smoothly. Don and Dan passed the sand test and were eager for more.

Thinking back about that old jeep ride with my wife and dad.......the night before we got to Ramona's for gas my wife got a spider bite in the middle of her forehead that night as she slept. and the next day her forehead swelled up like an orange. She looked mongoloidal. Poor thing, I probably shouldn't have laughed at her.

....on to Via Trinidad.......

p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 04-15-2015 at 04:25 PM
Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
borscht zanetti
Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer: 285
In for this one.

Been craving a new Baja report ... thanks !!
borscht zanetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Love me some Baja... I'm in.
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
tday
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I'm waiting for the fish taco pics !
VF1100C 1984
tday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
BuffHunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Fish taco pics we got!

Thanks for writing all this up, Pete.

I will try to scrounge up my pics.

Don
BuffHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
reddesertwonderer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I'm in and a little Jealous!

Snowing here and waiting for the heat to show up. Great Photos!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
That was our group at the cafe. Cafe belongs to Victor and Juanita (hope I got that spelled right). A few years back when I was passing through they were just starting the cafe build. I stopped to chat and ending up going to their home where Juanita cooked me up a proper home made mexican breakfast. I'm lucky to have gotten out of there without gaining 20 lbs. I always stop if the cafe is open and am never disappointed.

You got a bit further south than Mulege, we say you last at Posada Conception.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
It was nice to meet you at coyote Cal's, Pete. Looking forward to the report!
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffHunter View Post
Thanks for writing all this up, Pete.

I will try to scrounge up my pics.

Don
Post up some of your pics, Don. To youse other guys, Buffhunter is Don of the story.....and a true adventurer. Don is also a bow hunter and has taken a cape buffalo with an arrow. I can't match that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertwonderer View Post
Snowing here and waiting for the heat to show up. Great Photos!
Thanks RDW. I love pictures of the wide open spaces, and do my best to capture some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
That was our group at the cafe. Cafe belongs to Victor and Juanita (hope I got that spelled right). A few years back when I was passing through they were just starting the cafe build. I stopped to chat and ending up going to their home where Juanita cooked me up a proper home made mexican breakfast. I'm lucky to have gotten out of there without gaining 20 lbs. I always stop if the cafe is open and am never disappointed.

You got a bit further south than Mulege, we saw you last at Posada Conception.
There were times when we wished we had some of your big bikes as we droned along the pavement at 60 mph. Our nasty dirt bikes were in their element south of LA Bay. We tried to stay in some of the easier stuff for Don and Dan....and me.

MJS, did you see me tumble as I tried to push start the kickstart DR there at La Posada? Yeah we went another 5 miles south and then back to the Hacienda Hotel in Mulege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
It was nice to meet you at coyote Cal's, Pete. Looking forward to the report!
Me too, Haywood. I'll see you again, I bet

....and thanks to the rest of you guys for following along.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #14
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

There were times when we wished we had some of your big bikes as we droned along the pavement at 60 mph. Our nasty dirt bikes were in their element south of LA Bay. We tried to stay in some of the easier stuff for Don and Dan....and me.

MJS, did you see me tumble as I tried to push start the kickstart DR there at La Posada? Yeah we went another 5 miles south and then back to the Hacienda Hotel
Yep, saw the tumble. Looked pretty scary for a minute until you got up. Saw you head south and then back north. I thought it was a bit late in the day to head to Loretto anyways.

Those big bikes saw their share of trails. Lots of sand and beach riding with some rocky roads and technical stuff thrown in for good measure including Calamajue wash.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com

MJS screwed with this post 04-15-2015 at 10:50 PM
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:37 AM   #15
BuffHunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post

Those big bikes saw their share of trails. Lots of sand and beach riding with some rocky roads and technical stuff thrown in for good measure including Calamajue wash.
MJS, did y'all do a trip report? I'd like to see your route!
BuffHunter is offline   Reply With Quote