Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
CiccioBkk OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Ride in Burma this December.

Hi Guys,
After loooong work we finally managed to get permission to enter Burma with our bikes and also enter the Shan territory.
It will definitely be a very exciting journey and at some points even challenging, but it's been so long since we are working on and finally 1st December 1 this adventure will start . Will be 16 days of riding for 9 bikers.

Here the itinerary:

Here the Road map

I will definitely post photo report once back in bangkok.
Stay tuned fellas!

Ciao!!
If you got FB, here i am:
https://www.facebook.com/ThePeacefulRace?ref=hl

Is not about the destination. Is all about the journey!

CiccioBkk screwed with this post 10-01-2014 at 08:26 AM
CiccioBkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,801
i've been wanting to see a good report on this country. there have been a few, but none of them very interesting. hope you plan on getting dirty.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
CiccioBkk OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
i've been wanting to see a good report on this country. there have been a few, but none of them very interesting. hope you plan on getting dirty.
That's the plan...

Old 10-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 596
12 December is an off day for you , but head across the Ayeyarwady (Irrawaddy) River and explore the Sagaing Hills, then ride to the U Bein Teak Bridge in Amarapura for the sunset.

Looking forward to your RR.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
choopacabra
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Awesome. I just got back to Bangkok after doing two weeks in Burma...beautiful country and people. I look forward to seeing this report!
choopacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
japhyryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I heard about your ride a little while ago. I think you guys will have a great time, especially in Mongla

I'm really keen on doing a Burma ride possibly next year. I live in China so i'm relatively close. However it still seems like a (expensive) nightmare to actually be granted permission to ride there. I really hope that your trip will be the start of a more relaxed approach from the local authorities there towards people like yourselves who have a genuine interest in and exploring and learning more about the country and its people and culture.

Can't wait for the pics. Goodluck
japhyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,796
I'm in some details on how you went about receiving permission would be nice, I planned to get in next year so any information would be helpful.
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
LeoDing
n00b

Oddometer: 4
That's great itinerary.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
CiccioBkk OP
Adventurer

Thanks guy!!
I have so much exception on this trip.
The organizer is a Chiang Mai located Tour Operator that is specialize in Adventure road trips. He been working with Burma authority for quite some time now and after couple of soft riding now he receive the full permit, that's why is called "The Pilot Tour".

He provide full documentation paper and all the "legal stuff". Also bike are available to rent for people coming form aboard, but me and my friends will enter with our own BMW since we are resident in Thailand.

Think about get started everyday guys...
Biker adrenaline , you all know about it!

Old 10-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #10
CiccioBkk OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
12 December is an off day for you , but head across the Ayeyarwady (Irrawaddy) River and explore the Sagaing Hills, then ride to the U Bein Teak Bridge in Amarapura for the sunset.

Looking forward to your RR.
I will mention this with organizer. You ride there before?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:38 AM   #11
CiccioBkk OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choopacabra View Post
Awesome. I just got back to Bangkok after doing two weeks in Burma...beautiful country and people. I look forward to seeing this report!
Agreed, great country. In the north you close to Himalaya, South you are in Andaman Sea, near Phuket. What else to say....

Old 10-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #12
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiccioBkk View Post
I will mention this with organizer. You ride there before?
As can be seen on a map, the Sagaing Hills and U Bein Teak Bridge are a very leisurely day trip with no distance riding involved, and you could have a day away from the group if the fancy takes you. The temples and monasteries on the hill sides are awesome.

I rented a scooter for a couple of days when in Mandalay, and as you know there are no motorcycles allowed in Yangon.
One can't go to Burma without visiting the Shwedagon Pagoda, so you have to use with taxis in Yangon which are a good deal anyway.

Couldn't rent a bike in Bagan either, so I ended up on a Chinese electric bike which I would rather not talk about.

As for the Inle Lake area, foreigners are banned from riding motorcycles, so I resorted to a good old bicycle. The Shwe Yan Pyay Monastery on the road to Nyaung Shwe is worth checking out as well.

You will notice a ton of old 1980s DT125s in the country. Yamaha must have imported thousands over there. Through lack of alternatives (although there are Chinese DT clone four strokes that are quite interesting) they keep those old bike going mostly with parts imported from Thailand.
Used DT125 engines fetch big money $1,000, and ones with the 200cc hop up even more.

Excuse the liberty, but here is a photo of the DT clone I took in Nyaung Shwe:

Edmond Dantès screwed with this post 10-02-2014 at 03:08 AM
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:49 AM   #13
CiccioBkk OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhyryder View Post
I heard about your ride a little while ago. I think you guys will have a great time, especially in Mongla

I'm really keen on doing a Burma ride possibly next year. I live in China so i'm relatively close. However it still seems like a (expensive) nightmare to actually be granted permission to ride there. I really hope that your trip will be the start of a more relaxed approach from the local authorities there towards people like yourselves who have a genuine interest in and exploring and learning more about the country and its people and culture.

Can't wait for the pics. Goodluck
Oh Oh...what in Mongla? ....
We been riding all over in Thailand, then in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia. Burma is really the ultimate destination.
promise full report!!
Follow me on my riding page!
Ciao

Old 10-02-2014, 03:52 AM   #14
CiccioBkk OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo View Post
I'm in some details on how you went about receiving permission would be nice, I planned to get in next year so any information would be helpful.
The permit is granted by this organization. I think the riding schedule will be present quite soon on their web.

http://www.impulsetourism.com/aboutus.php

Old 10-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #15
CiccioBkk OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Edmond Dantès;25197018]As can be seen on a map, the Sagaing Hills and U Bein Teak Bridge are a very leisurely day trip with no distance riding involved, and you could have a day away from the group if the fancy takes you. The temples and monasteries on the hill sides are awesome.

I rented a scooter for a couple of days when in Mandalay, and as you know there are no motorcycles allowed in Yangon.
One can't go to Burma without visiting the Shwedagon Pagoda, so you have to use with taxis in Yangon which are a good deal anyway.

Couldn't rent a bike in Bagan either, so I ended up on a Chinese electric bike which I would rather not talk about.

As for the Inle Lake area, foreigners are banned from riding motorcycles, so I resorted to a good old bicycle. The Shwe Yan Pyay Monastery on the road to Nyaung Shwe is worth checking out as well.

You will notice a ton of old 1980s DT125s in the country. Yamaha must have imported thousands over there. Through lack of alternatives (although there are Chinese DT clone four strokes that are quite interesting) they keep those old bike going mostly with parts imported from Thailand.
Used DT125 engines fetch big money $1,000, and ones with the 200cc hop up even more.

Excuse the liberty, but here is a photo of the DT clone I took in Nyaung Shwe:

What a great Spirit!!!!
MUST keep your tip in mind.
Thanks buddy!!!!