Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Freerydejunky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Wicked Coast2Coast - The Sportbike Roadtrip

Well here it goes folks.

After a bit of planning, Destinationunknown will be joining me on part of my journey across the country. We're two of the same type of loons. He is riding a 06 CBR and I am on a 06 SV1000 naked.(See trip planning)

I am headed out from DC tomorrow morning.
With the first 4-5 days consisting of this:
Google Map Route Link

After spending a few days in New Orleans Destinationunknown and myself will meet up somewhere outside and west of NO. Heading west in search of Big Bend.

We're flying by the seat of our pants, with no real time frame in mind there are more than a few routes to choose from. To keep the cost low, we'll be camping as much as humanly possible. Real stinky durtay
I like this one: https://goo.gl/maps/ahfjM

Somewhere between Big Bend and NM Destinationunknown and I will part ways (he'll be heading back to TN) I'll continue onto Tucson -> San Diego -> SF Bay Area.

I'll do my best to keep this updated every few days. But don't hate me if I just ride instead.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're on the way and want to join. The more the merrier!
Freerydejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
If you need a bed and laundry on the North Oregon coast drop me a line.
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Have fun! Jealous. Freezing here in PA.
How's the weather down there?
Vintage Honda Collection
TwoTiredRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
Freerydejunky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's mid 30's right now. Tomorrow the heated gear will be on for sure.

The further south I head the warmer it'll get
Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Sportbikes! Oh yeah! IN!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
Freerydejunky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rain rain rain

Day 1 and Two

How the fugly beast looked before we departed

It was freaking fracking cold. I had my heated vest and grips on max, my insides felt like an over cooked baked potato... But my extremities were numb. Very odd sensation.

Sweet sunset though, somewhere in NorthCakalacky

Camped last night at Oyster point/ Bay in the Croatan National Forest. Had one hell of a crazy night. Still nursing off a b1tch'n hang over. Let's say it involved locals, guns booze and hunting dogs.

I rolled into what ever town (3 blocks long) was sort of near by the campsite to grab a tank full of gas. Once I was finished filling the thirsty wench, a massive K10 on 38's rolled up. Two guys in the cab, two guys on a pile of wood on top of a hunting cage full of hounds. It was late, around 10pm. They clearly had never seen such a bike like mine before, so we chatted for a bit.

They asked where I was headed, and where I was staying. I told them the campground right up the road, if I could find it. One of the fellers gave me spot on directions to the best site. Just as I was about to pull away the driver asked where I got my knife (a big Gerber LMF II strapped to my ankle) told him I acquired it while I served in the Air Force. A few minutes later I had an invite to come on down to their bonfire and night of hunting. They'd pick me up in 45 mins at my campsite. I love 'Merica

The truck rolled up. I hopped on the back, on top of the huge pile of wood with the two other guys. Shortly after the truck pulled off the road and blasted through the brush into an open clearing. There was already a blazing bonfire going and 4-5 other trucks there! Now this is what I am talking about!!

Well, I'll edit out the rest of the story. A copious amount of alcohol was consumed... We walked around the woods chasing the dogs in circles for a few hours, fueled by our liquor jackets. There were shots fired, but no casualties. Regular old hunting excursion.

Somehow everyone made it back alive. When all of the booze was consumed I suppose we left? All I know is I woke up in my tent at my campsite the next morning with my anal virginity still intact.

Only to wake up to my USB charger not working, of course... Drunkenly ripped the whole wiring loom apart thinking it was a gremlin issue. But it wasn't... the USB unit itself was all messed up. So I can only charge when I stop for food. I'll get another one wired up over the weekend.

This is what I had to say to that

Shortly after finishing my "repair" I heard this odd noise. It was getting louder and louder!
Rain! Ohhh no! I ran down to the inlet only to see a HUGE front heading directly my way. I tried to grab a picture of the rain pounding on the other side of the bay, but it didn't turn out. So you get my failure of a picture.

I geared up and got out of dodge asap. Only to hit the storm head on for the next 6 hours as I railed south on US-17.

The hangover kicked in at about 11am this morning. It lasted until about 5pm...

Miles were logged and I made my destination of Charleston, SC. An old friend has offered to put me up for 2 nights. Ahhh couch sleep.

Freerydejunky screwed with this post 12-20-2014 at 05:55 PM
Old 12-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Freerydejunky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1 & 2 update
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM   #8
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
A good start to the ride. No way to avoid the cold temps this time of year until getting south.

Locals can offer fun at times. If you remember very little of the previous night, take that as you had a good time.
But this time of year, with the hunting seasons, national forest sites can be unpredictable as people use the public lands for camping and hunting.

Looks like a successful hunt judging by the third photo. You slayed yourself a beaver.
DestinationUnknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM   #9
Freerydejunky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Even after I passed out yesterday morning there were shots ringing out and dogs barking constantly. Someone was still having a good time

I wouldn't ride anywhere without my sheepskin pad. Best investment besides my aerostich, hands down.

Slept for about 11 hours last night, couch sleep is the best. Here shortly my host is going to take me out and show me what Charleston is all about. It's nice to have a relaxation day after 2 days of bitter cold riding.
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #10
p_funk
Frequently Lost

Oddometer: 416
Just a little behind...

Crazy how that works, I'm headed down to Columbia, SC then New Orleans on my SV1000 naked in about 2 weeks. I'll be tuned in for any must-see stops.
AMA#2890779
NETRA#24973

2003 XR650R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 2003 SV1000N, 2014 FZ-09
p_funk is offline   Reply With Quote